Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Interesting. Why do you have stuff like the Docking Computer and Supercruise assist at the top priority? That seems backwards to me. I'd only put Thrusters and the FSD in there.
I find the export from Inara to Coriolis doesn't always get everything right. Power priorities is one area that goes wrong. I did this because I updated the build today and don't have an up to date hand crafted Coriolis build to hand.
As a rule, supercruise assist, docking computers, fuel scoop and cargo hatch if I don't need it for the role the ship performs go to priority 5.

To be fair, my Krait does a wonderful job of sending our little octagonal compadrés back to the witchspace in the sky, but unfortunately in the AX scenarios currently, its just a matter of time before one of them calls its dad, at which point the turreted AX multis are like throwing a grape at an elephant. Last night I managed to solo one of the station combat zones in my AXI-approved Krait with the Guardian Gausseseseseseseseses, and slowly got to grips with taking out scouts with fixed weapons, and also had the firepower to deal with the various Cyclops that showed up.

Then two Hydras showed up, and I legged it.

The argument is that shields are pointless against interceptors (though not Thargon swarms) since their damage just says "Haha" and breaches them, but I still cling lovingly to mine, like a warm and soft security blanket!
Also the higher rank Interceptors deal so much damage and the fight lasts so long the shield won't last long enough to be of use. Evading damage with that mix of thermal vent beam lasers, heat sinks and silent running and still making regular hull repairs is the way to win.

In spite of having a slight mishap driving my SRV, I made it to an asteroid base in the Sanguinious Rim where I met a helpful bloke with a beard, who helped me pass the 2 billion CR mark and got me promoted to Elite II as an exobiologist. The ranks only go up to Elite V and if these exaggerated rewards last much longer before they hit the nerf button, it looks like the Fdevs might have to add quite a few more ranks higher than V...

Vista 03.png

I'm not far from the Elysian Shore now, so I'm thinking of checking out a few exo species there first, before I head back to what's left of the bubble. :unsure:

An interceptor showed up and that's when I decided to take a rest. I heard the "Surge detected" warning and attempted to use my Shutdown Field Neutralizer, but I kinda fumbled with the fire groups. I did hit it, eventually, but I'm not sure what it did. Maybe I was in time, because I didn't get shut down. I might have just been far enough away.
The way it works is that it will put up a "protection" that starts running down your system capacitor, so to get the longest effective time set pips to max before firing it, and afaik hold it until the pulse is over. I don't always get a warning spoken out but there is a special noise that goes with it, you do have a few seconds to activate it.

It can be bound to a button or key, do that it's much better than faffing with the fire groups.. :)

The thargoids are back to shooting at transport vessels now. Having once again taken a caustic missile up the tail pipe, I'm not really sure whether the guardian hull reinforcements have helped. Reached the rescue ship with 84% hull left vs 75% last time, but I'm also using a bigger fuel scoop that allows me to swoop around stars full speed and top up enough to make the whole distance without a pause. Suspect you need to really stack them and make a proper hull tank.
You could just stay close to the next sun and let temps get up to about 130%, somewhere at that point you'll burn off the goo and it won't damage your ships very much.

Oh and here's my updated build, with power usage changed so that I won't be left without thrusters again :p

I haven't flown it yet, though. It has less caustic resistance than the previous build, obviously. Hopefully it's still enough. :)
Out of habit I rearranged the power priorities as I would have them with essentials at 1, shields etc at 2, weapons at 3 and the rest at 4 or 5. I am happier to lose weapons before shields as it reminds me to Brave Sir Robin.
I've just grade 5 armoured my power plant giving it 273 integrity and put 2 x 4D module reinforcements back in. There is nothing I can do to keep essential modules inside the 40% bracket, but even shieldless, it takes an Interceptor to knock out my power plant. Which has happened. Scouts can only scratch it.
Did almost the same to this one but stuck Life Support down to 2 to hit the 40% threshold.

Had a little time to test out the build. I went back to the planetary port this time, which was in daylight. It's pretty cool fighting over landscape like that, with the burning station below and the NPC defenders in the air with you.
Screenshot 2022-12-06 165236.jpg

I did not die this time. There were only a couple of Interceptors that showed up, and I just avoided them. My caustic resistance still seems quite good -- a little more damage was coming through, but not much. I was quite pleased, overall.

My windows kept freezing up, thanks to the Thermal Vent beams. They are quite effective!
Screenshot 2022-12-06 165353.jpg

So this is good. I think I can probably handle Scouts fairly well with this ship.

Disabled auto launch on my cutter. It's going to be annoying, but I've just watched it headbutt the wall until my shield was down to 60%. It's too dangerous to be allowed.

It does manage to dock at orbital stations, at least, and there are ways to work with it at rescue ships, so it's only the launch routine I'll have to do manually.

20221207 cg.jpg

In other news, this CG is very low profit, but I can see commanders are pushing it hard. We might even hit 100% today and get those new AX weapons for reset tomorrow 😹

Edit: oh yeah, yesterday's refugee run was sort of in daylight. The toxic clouds actually help it look less like a boring vacuum world 😸

20221206 hr1354 thorne's progress.jpg

Edit edit: I won't name him for privacy reasons, but I just spotted an NPC with my neighbour's name. Immersion! 😹

Last edited:
Disabled auto launch on my cutter. It's going to be annoying, but I've just watched it headbutt the wall until my shield was down to 60%. It's too dangerous to be allowed.

It does manage to dock at orbital stations, at least, and there are ways to work with it at rescue ships, so it's only the launch routine I'll have to do manually.

View attachment 336379

In other news, this CG is very low profit, but I can see commanders are pushing it hard. We might even hit 100% today and get those new AX weapons for reset tomorrow 😹

Edit: oh yeah, yesterday's refugee run was sort of in daylight. The toxic clouds actually help it look less like a boring vacuum world 😸

View attachment 336382

Edit edit: I won't name him for privacy reasons, but I just spotted an NPC with my neighbour's name. Immersion! 😹
I visited a surface station just now that was fully into evacuation. No combat to be found. I think the station is lost. I went for combat and landed to repair my Chieftain. On the way out an Interceptor turned up. I thought in that momment a Cutter would be a good candidate for a rescue ship. Big and fast to escape.

I thought in that momment a Cutter would be a good candidate for a rescue ship. Big and fast to escape.

It is an absolutely fantastic rescue ship, as long as you're prepared to hit up planetary ports every time. So far the only attacked orbital stations I've seen were just medium pad outposts, no big stations.

A cutter with G5 dirty drives will boost 480m/s and outrun any thargoid found in these CZs or hyperdictions. Submit to any interdiction and boost away, they can't touch you.

My favoured build is a size 8 shield (A, bi-weave, or prismatic is irrelevant, and you can't get cabins above size 6), size 5 fuel scoop, size 3 FSD booster, and everything else economy cabins. Engineered or guardian hull reinforcements is still open to debate, imo - I don't think you get that much caustic resistance when you're only fitting them in your 2x military slots. But either way you get enough hull that any caustic only eats you down to 75% worst case by the time you dock at the destination. Seats 152, scoops fast enough to cover about an 8-9 jump range without pause - and the refugee runs are all 5-7.

I've been looking for the smallest parties offering 5x materials as priority. The credits income is bad, but it can be 15-24 g5 mats per 20 minutes, and that's very respectable. Taking something like a python to an orbital dock will give you a faster turnaround time, but it's hard to seat more than 80 and you end up with less than a third the shields and hull. On the whole, I find the slower decent onto a planet is more than made up for by the larger passenger capacity.

(Side note, a cutter without cabins and with empty cargo racks can hit 500m/s. Absurd for a ship that size! Just don't ask it to turn.)

It does seem ADC's or DC's have problems with Cutters. Mine takes an absolute age to land the ship on my FC.

Best bet is fly up to the pad yourself, then zero the throttle when you're close. It'll do a proper job from within 100m or so and going slowly, it just seems to overestimate it's ability to stop and comes in at high speed then overshoots.

It is an absolutely fantastic rescue ship, as long as you're prepared to hit up planetary ports every time. So far the only attacked orbital stations I've seen were just medium pad outposts, no big stations.

A cutter with G5 dirty drives will boost 480m/s and outrun any thargoid found in these CZs or hyperdictions. Submit to any interdiction and boost away, they can't touch you.

My favoured build is a size 8 shield (A, bi-weave, or prismatic is irrelevant, and you can't get cabins above size 6), size 5 fuel scoop, size 3 FSD booster, and everything else economy cabins. Engineered or guardian hull reinforcements is still open to debate, imo - I don't think you get that much caustic resistance when you're only fitting them in your 2x military slots. But either way you get enough hull that any caustic only eats you down to 75% worst case by the time you dock at the destination. Seats 152, scoops fast enough to cover about an 8-9 jump range without pause - and the refugee runs are all 5-7.

I've been looking for the smallest parties offering 5x materials as priority. The credits income is bad, but it can be 15-24 g5 mats per 20 minutes, and that's very respectable. Taking something like a python to an orbital dock will give you a faster turnaround time, but it's hard to seat more than 80 and you end up with less than a third the shields and hull. On the whole, I find the slower decent onto a planet is more than made up for by the larger passenger capacity.

(Side note, a cutter without cabins and with empty cargo racks can hit 500m/s. Absurd for a ship that size! Just don't ask it to turn.)

Best bet is fly up to the pad yourself, then zero the throttle when you're close. It'll do a proper job from within 100m or so and going slowly, it just seems to overestimate it's ability to stop and comes in at high speed then overshoots.

OK you have inspired me to dust off the old beauty and give it a bit of an overhaul - called for by these interesting times... it’s been resting on its laurels since its pirate hunting days - and “Tritium Refueler/Restocker No.1” is a waste of its talents… :]

View attachment 336379

I'm thinking of buying a cutter sometime when I get around to it. Might do some trading with it as my rank in that is currently only at merchant (most of which was done in my previous stint in ED back in 2015, when I hauled quite a few rares in my Cobra MkIII and flogged land enrichment systems to the yokels in my Type 6.)

Also if I can get it loaded out in a good way I might do what you're doing - ie the rescuing refugees run if the bubble is still being assaulted by the Thargoids. I'd thought of installing an advanced docking computer on it and not the standard one I currently have in all my ships, but sounds like that's not a great idea from what you said...

Two hours of exploring and I haven't found a single bio yet o_O
Look for mid-range yellow-ish stars - the dwarves are generally too cool, the biggest blues often too hot - though it does all depend on “inhabitable zone” and the ratio between the star’s heat and the planet or moon’s distance from it, resulting in bodies that can support organics…

there are also plenty of good locations in the bio codex ;]

…and there’s even Spansh’s excellent exo-route plotter - though with payouts recently buffed so generously, it seems a great pity to get it all over too quickly :alien:

Last edited:
Top Bottom