Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Exploration II at last :)

20230327003858_1.jpg

No, it's the total profit for all time, including losses. That's my best guess.
Something feels off for me, if that should be the case...
If I remember correctly, Frankymole said that they never sold stuff for a price below what they bought it for. Which implies that there shouldn't be any losses. Which in return would mean that the overall profit should be higher than the highest single profit, by a significant margin.

Thinking about it, there definitely is something off. Either the formula/algorithm is borked or we have a case of bad wording.

One of my earliest-acquired ships, from when I played before in 2015 is the Cobra MkIII. Before I bought other ships such as the Asp X and now have a Fleet Carrier to cart them all around in, this ship was the main one I used for exploration and pretty much everything else I did in the game.

Anyway, I've been thinking about a name for her and after giving it some thought, finally settled on "Cobra MkIII." Gave her a Scorpion SRV (I won't get started on all the head scratching I did in the outfitting at Jameson Memorial to figure out how to get one of those, what with all the vehicle hangar guess-work lottery and whatnot. :sneaky: )

(Oh wait, I just did get started on it didn't I.)

Anyway here's a shot of this ship and Scorpion SRV on a planet surface in the bubble. (The same planet my carrier is currently parked at as this system is close to several Thargoid systems that are top of the target list and I've been having a go at some scouts in them.)

View attachment 350143

On this planet I've managed to get a couple of Weapon Schematics (needed for hand-held weapons upgrades) from some containers at an Irregular Markers site. Also, since it's a high metal body with two bio signals, I suspected they would be Bacterium and Stratum Tectonica and indeed they were - still worth 19 million odd basic (but of course without any Vista first to log bonus as plenty of commanders have been here before me.)
The Cobra Mk III is the Millennium Falcon of Elite. :cool:

Not seen my e-breech count go up after a CZ. That rreally is an odd one. Mind you, I have the max amount on me anyway...

The discard notice comes up when you exceed the max amount of stowable items your inventory can take at that time. If that's > 1k goods or assets (or data but I forget the max allowable amount) for your SRV or ship, then you can manually discard what you don't need or let the emergency discard handle it.

I"m guessing this is coming about because you've taken an Apex cab and therefore your inventory is limited to your backpack capacity.

I'm not 100% sure, however.
I've so far never used an Apex cab. I just get the discard notice on boarding a ship after I've arrived back at a station after completing an on-foot CZ, so seems to be something I picked up when doing the CZ (even though I don't intentionally pick up anything - I just run around shooting my guns!)

Something feels off for me, if that should be the case...
If I remember correctly, Frankymole said that they never sold stuff for a price below what they bought it for. Which implies that there shouldn't be any losses. Which in return would mean that the overall profit should be higher than the highest single profit, by a significant margin.

Thinking about it, there definitely is something off. Either the formula/algorithm is borked or we have a case of bad wording.
I don't think the codex is accurate, whenever I enter a new region it will popup on my windshield when scanning systems automatically for the first 4 or 5 systems then it goes away. I've seen others complaining about it too.

On the other hand, the hours played that steam shows is wrong also, I think I'm somewhere between 2500 and 3000 hours, not the 6000+ steam says played. I was talking to one of my wife's colleagues that knows a little about software and he said it might be a bug with the time difference between the steam log in (locally) and Frontiers log in (UK) tacking on 12 hours not sure though just a guess. 🤷‍♂️

Good question! I do quite a few on-foot CZs as well and am also knee-deep in e-breaches that I've no idea where I got them from. Also sometimes, when I'm boarding either the Frontline Vulture or my own ship after completing a CZ, I get an "Emergency Discard" (or something) of illegal items message before I can board...
E-breaches are illegal in most places.

Not seen my e-breech count go up after a CZ. That rreally is an odd one. Mind you, I have the max amount on me anyway...

The discard notice comes up when you exceed the max amount of stowable items your inventory can take at that time. If that's > 1k goods or assets (or data but I forget the max allowable amount) for your SRV or ship, then you can manually discard what you don't need or let the emergency discard handle it.

I"m guessing this is coming about because you've taken an Apex cab and therefore your inventory is limited to your backpack capacity.

I'm not 100% sure, however.
I thought the limit was 1,000 in total for all the on foot loot combined.

Congrats!
I've so far never used an Apex cab. I just get the discard notice on boarding a ship after I've arrived back at a station after completing an on-foot CZ, so seems to be something I picked up when doing the CZ (even though I don't intentionally pick up anything - I just run around shooting my guns!)
That's me stumped then, I'm afraid. Calling any bigger brains for input...

E-breaches are illegal in most places.

I thought the limit was 1,000 in total for all the on foot loot combined.
Hmm. I'm sure it's 1k goods + 1k assets + nk data (that migh be 1k too) - not in the pilots seat right now so I'll double check this assumption later.

The breach increase one is really puzzling me... sounds like issue tracker material to me.

I was talking to one of my wife's colleagues that knows a little about software and he said it might be a bug with the time difference between the steam log in (locally) and Frontiers log in (UK) tacking on 12 hours not sure though just a guess.
That would be quite a lot, given that my time difference is 1 hour (GMT+1).
Hmm... I'll take your C3 and raise you a Krait Phantom :D
Definitely closer.

I don't think the codex is accurate, whenever I enter a new region it will popup on my windshield when scanning systems automatically for the first 4 or 5 systems then it goes away. I've seen others complaining about it too.

All sorts of odd things seem to happen with the codex - not to mention that the region / discovery awards could do with being buffed about 10,000%, ie: 50k max for discovering a new species in a galactic region... how about something more meaningful, like 5m? ;]

On the other hand, the hours played that steam shows is wrong also, I think I'm somewhere between 2500 and 3000 hours, not the 6000+ steam says played. I was talking to one of my wife's colleagues that knows a little about software and he said it might be a bug with the time difference between the steam log in (locally) and Frontiers log in (UK) tacking on 12 hours not sure though just a guess. 🤷‍♂️

I think as @Codger mentioned a page or so back it's to do with Steam counting the time the launcher is open (though it does seem to correct this figure a bit from time to time - possibly when the launcher is closed and it compares time logged in that session with Frontier's servers?) whereas the in-game stats time is the time logged in as recorded by the EDO servers. I suspect a lot of the missing time is thus cumulative main menu hours, ie: time with the game running but not logged in, either just idling or while editing controls / settings etc...

My Steam counter just ticked over 5000hrs since I started end 2017 - but according to the in-game stats, I've only just passed 4800 now... so I can still play a bit more without tooo much guilt :]

Last edited:
I think as @Codger mentioned a page or so back it's to do with Steam counting the time the launcher is open (though it does seem to correct this figure a bit from time to time - possibly when the launcher is closed and it compares time logged in that session with Frontier's servers?) whereas the in-game stats time is the time logged in as recorded by the EDO servers. I suspect a lot of the missing time is thus cumulative main menu hours, ie: time with the game running but not logged in, either just idling or while editing controls / settings etc...
This doesn't lack logic, but... I rarely spend time in the menues/settings and due to my lack of RAM, I instantly close the launcher after playing. Even with the time I spent in the menu while communicating with the Fuel Rats, this was about half an our at most - there is nothing that would explain a difference of about 200 hours between those two numbers. At least not with less than 1k hours on the clock. If I would be about the same amount of time played than you have, okay, might be possible, but with less than a fifth and the same difference?
Something ain't right, there...

Congrats!

That's me stumped then, I'm afraid. Calling any bigger brains for input...

Hmm. I'm sure it's 1k goods + 1k assets + nk data (that migh be 1k too) - not in the pilots seat right now so I'll double check this assumption later.

The breach increase one is really puzzling me... sounds like issue tracker material to me.
Yep, it's 1k assets and 1k goods and 1k data

EDIT... it may be a while, but when (if?) I ever become a Deadeye - no n ot one of these:

1679924232754.png

... that's a deadite, I think a sojourn to the Formadine Rift may be on the cards.

Last edited:
All sorts of odd things seem to happen with the codex - not to mention that the region / discovery awards could do with being buffed about 10,000%, ie: 50k max for discovering a new species in a galactic region... how about something more meaningful, like 5m? ;]

My Steam counter just ticked over 5000hrs since I started end 2017 - but according to the in-game stats, I've only just passed 4800 now... so I can still play a bit more without tooo much guilt :]
I agree, it's the "go to" text in-game and is quoted often, I think it is time to give it some love. The only thing we have that we trust is our journals, I'm slightly surprised someone hasn't released a third party new and improved codex. I know nothing about software, I'm a blue-collar guy though almost all my family works in the industry.

If I would be about the same amount of time played than you have, okay, might be possible, but with less than a fifth and the same difference?
Something ain't right, there...
Yes, it does seem off. I guess I trust the in-game timer more than the Steam one, myself.

An interesting tidbit: I once contacted Support because when I did a Clear Save on my alt, the time played did not reset. They told me that this was intentional, and that they could not change it.

I guess it counts time played on the account, rather than on the specific CMDR. I was a bit annoyed by this :)

Top Bottom