Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

And we want to know the names! 🧐

The Mamba is "Royale with Cheese", the Corvette "Guacamole Window" (obscure "Spaced" reference) and the Cutter is "Expensive Beotch" (ahem).

These are temporary until I can think of something more appropriate.

bMDwTFp.jpg

On the Cutter, I would have preferred it if the name plate replaced the "Gutameyer" logo on the rear end but hey ho:

ynaP9MW.jpg

I got my first billion in cash today.

Nice going! I'm going to go back under 1bn with ship purchases methinks :(

Last edited:
I have a question... I've fitted the Mamba with 5G clean drives (stripped down) as I had some in store for some reason. However, I may re-engineer them to be dirty - then fit an experimental later - but I wondered: can I expect more manoeuvrability? This ship feels a bit sluggish to my mind.

The positives of dirty drive tuning outweigh the negatives by a significant margin, and they will certainly help your ship handle better.

In the Mamba(and many other ships, really) it’s all about boosting into turns. It’s going to seem a little sluggish without it, even if you have modified drives.

I have a question... I've fitted the Mamba with 5G clean drives (stripped down) as I had some in store for some reason. However, I may re-engineer them to be dirty - then fit an experimental later - but I wondered: can I expect more manoeuvrability? This ship feels a bit sluggish to my mind.

If you re-engineer the drives, you'll lose all the investment on the 5G clean... Why not store them again, and put them into something that might need them, like a scavenger or explorer or "naughty things" ship?

Buying a new set of drives and engineering them separately isn't going to drain the bank of a man of your calibre :)

I'm no expert, but the Mamba to me feels very similar to the FDL. It's faster in the straights, but has the same sort of drifty feeling. I do have G5 dirty drives on mine, though. I've never seen much point to the Clean upgrade. I want POWAH!! lol. I'm not much good at boost turning, though, which the FDL needs and probably the Mamba too.

If you re-engineer the drives, you'll lose all the investment on the 5G clean... Why not store them again, and put them into something that might need them, like a scavenger or explorer or "naughty things" ship?

Buying a new set of drives and engineering them separately isn't going to drain the bank of a man of your calibre :)

Good point, well made (y)

I'm no expert, but the Mamba to me feels very similar to the FDL. It's faster in the straights, but has the same sort of drifty feeling. I do have G5 dirty drives on mine, though. I've never seen much point to the Clean upgrade. I want POWAH!! lol. I'm not much good at boost turning, though, which the FDL needs and probably the Mamba too.
Just a point about Dirty vs. Clean drives - heat.
FdL has an awesome heat dissipation so she doesn't give a damn. Mamba less so. She's still better than most ships, but if you're going with lasers or incendiary MCs, Clean drives can give you a DPM edge, there.

FdL has an awesome heat dissipation so she doesn't give a damn. Mamba less so. She's still better than most ships, but if you're going with lasers or incendiary MCs, Clean drives can give you a DPM edge, there.
I never seem to have any heat issues, but I often use undersized powerplants and I dislike beams, so maybe that's why. But yes, of course the heat efficiency is the "point" of the Clean upgrade. It's such a tiny difference though, especially if you use thermal spread on the PP.

It's always a matter of compromises that suit your style, after all :)

I never seem to have any heat issues, but I often use undersized powerplants and I dislike beams, so maybe that's why. But yes, of course the heat efficiency is the "point" of the Clean upgrade. It's such a tiny difference though, especially if you use thermal spread on the PP.

It's always a matter of compromises that suit your style, after all :)
Of course. You you can even utilize the heat in combat. Don't know what it's called, now (and I'm too lazy to go to Inara), but there is an effect that increases the damage output of your weapons with raising heat.
I never used it, because I feel uncomfortable fighting with smoke and alarm bells all around me. :LOL:

I recently learned/heard that the heat thing about clean drives is a lie. Your heat just come from power use and power plant efficiency.

Last edited:
I recently learned/heard that the heat thing about clean drives is a lie. Your heat just come from power use and power plant efficiency.

That is true, of course. The Clean Drives don't have any mysterious magical low heat output. They simply consume less power while still providing some (lower than DDs) performance boost.

While the Mamba does run a little warm, they are used almost exclusively with dirty drives in PVP, which is full of hot weapons and constant boosting.

Dirty drives are acurally less demanding in terms of power draw, for some reason.

As mentioned above, your power plant efficiency affects your ship’s heat management far more than any other core module.

The only time I’d even consider clean drives is on a silent running build. Even then, the ability to stay silent for a few more seconds is not worth the sacrifice of 50+ m/s in speed. A combat Mamba should be pushing 600m/s, or even exceeding it.

Here are some crude numbers I gathered on my own from my DBS and different plant/modification combos. Different ship, but it gives you an idea. Keep in mind this was all done with silent running engaged, and getting that particular ship to overheat is extremely difficult otherwise.

Clean drives need an adjustment to be more useful, I think.

Plant:

Armored G3, No experimental

16.76mw/0.37 eff

78% total usage

Drives:

Dirty G5 drag drives (32% usage)

Max speed: 576

Cruise speed: 424

Hardpoints deployed

All modules on

Idle heat: 19%

Idle to 100% - boosting (6 boosts, 0:26)

Idle to 100% - stationary^ (1:26)

Idle to 100% - cruising (1:16)

Plant:

Armored G3, no experimental

16.76mw/0.37 eff

79% total usage

Drives:

Clean G5 thermal spread (34% usage)

Max speed 509

Cruise speed 375

Hardpoints deployed

All modules on

Idle heat: 20%

Idle to 100% - Boosting (6 boosts, 0:27)

Idle to 100% - stationary^ (1:24)

Idle to 100% - Cruising (1:24)

Plant:

Low emissions G5 thermal spread

13.26mw/0.14 eff

98% total usage

Drives:

Dirty G5 drag drives (41% usage)

Max speed 576

Cruise speed 424

Hardpoints deployed

All modules on

Idle heat: 12%

Idle to 100% - boosting (7 boosts, 0:33)

Idle to 100% - stationary^ (4:16)

Idle to 100% - cruising (3:30)

Plant:

Low emissions G5 thermal spread

13.26/0.14 eff

*95% total usage

Drives:

Clean G5 thermal spread (43% usage)

Max Speed 509

Cruise speed 375

Hardpoints deployed

*Cargo hatch OFF

Idle heat: 13%

Idle to 100% - boosting (9 boosts, 0:40)

Idle to 100% - stationary^ (4:21)

Idle to 100% - cruising (4:10)

^Zero throttle, not accounting for thruster activity caused by stick drift

So, I stored the drive unit, fixed a 5A and G5'd it dirty. The PD is now charge enhanced (G3), the PP overcharged (G3) and I've fitted a huge beam, two large G5 engineered MCs I had in store and, because I've never used them before, two small rails. Royal With Cheese does 604m/s in boost.

Could be fun but I need to make some more money back too and combat is still an art I'm deeply in need of learning. My HRES-fu is very weak, and I don't want to enter the realms of PvP as I wish to keep my hose unsoiled.

So, yes, more cash needed for my "own one of every ship" bucket list (there is no logical reason for me to do this: it's just something I fancy doing :D). They will most proabaly be just hulls as eqiupping them decenlty will be the horror story my wallet fears.

I still require the Beluga, Orca, T10, T7, Fdl, FGS and Alliance Challenger.

Top Bottom