Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I've been out rescuing innocents in the Pleiades in my shiny new Orca, now with added scorch marks. The burning stations are very intimidating places, you want to get out quick, as do all my passengers judging by the incoming messages. I don't appear to be building any rank with the Alliance though, I have a reputation bar but not a rank one. What am i missing?
Alliance don't have any ranks, just The Federation, and the imperial work-shy fops.
(Unfortunately).

I've been out rescuing innocents in the Pleiades in my shiny new Orca, now with added scorch marks. The burning stations are very intimidating places, you want to get out quick, as do all my passengers judging by the incoming messages. I don't appear to be building any rank with the Alliance though, I have a reputation bar but not a rank one. What am i missing?
I am now using a T10 in this roll as it is the cheapest ship with 8 heat sink slots allowing me plenty of time to collect escape pods inside the station before landing and getting nagged by self loading cargo.
If they were in such a hurry to leave then they should have got a ride in something rescuing fewer people, I am not undocking until full and standing.

I am now using a T10 in this roll as it is the cheapest ship with 8 heat sink slots allowing me plenty of time to collect escape pods inside the station before landing and getting nagged by self loading cargo.
If they were in such a hurry to leave then they should have got a ride in something rescuing fewer people, I am not undocking until full and standing.
Is it just me, or are there not so many salvage missions anymore?

You gather rep by doing missions etc. Once your rep goes up to a certain point, you increase your rank to the next level. If you want to increase your imperial rank, you must do those missions for a fraction that is aligned with the empire. Grinding rank takes time, which is why most CMDRs "cheat" and figure out, which method is the fastest.

For imp rank grind, the method used to be flying data missions between Ngalinn and Mainani. Both systems need to be in a "boom state", but they were that, the last time I checked.

For fed rank grind I used another method. I went to "fed infested" stations that were being repaired, after being attacked by thargoids. You can find those in the Galaxy Map. There you look at the mission board. To rebuild the station, they need certain thingies (can't remember which, but 3-4 different "commodities"). Write those down, and find a nearby station selling those (using EDDB). Then go back to the station being repaired, and take the missions where they ask for the thingies. That way, using a ship with a lot of cargo space, you can just sit at the station waiting for the missions to arrive, hand in the goods, and get rep>rank, without having to go and get thingies for each and every mission. The mission board dries out over time, so to be really efficient, you find the closest other station being repaired (has to be imp in your case), and then you go and grind at that station for a while. When that runs dry, you go back to the first. Rinse and repeat, and you'll gain your rank in a few hours or days, depending on your stubbornness.

Happy grinding! :)

All I did was unlock Didi Vaterman and get her to Grade 4. I now have passable boosters.

I did get a chuckle out of the little developer joke when acquiring the Lavian Brandy for Didi's big bash. She needed 50 tons of the stuff, and when I got to Lave they were willing to sell me...24. That makes me laugh every time. It couldn't be at least 25, had to be 24? :p Anyway, 3 trips did the deal.

But my Alliance rank did not go up. I wonder why?

I'm sure you veterans laugh at such a "small" trip :p But to me it's hell of a long way!

A long way through the cold dark. Lots to see in the area when it's under thargoid attack. Check out the Ray orbital in Atlas, but don't land there without heat sinks galore. Don't mess with Thargoids and they won't mess with you. But don't let them catch you with meta alloys. Meta alloys belong to them.

What am I up to?

I am about to make the journey to the Maia system, to buy some meta alloy so I can unlock the engineer Felicity Farseer. I have never made such a long trip, some 250'ish light year.

I'm sure you veterans laugh at such a "small" trip :p But to me it's hell of a long way!

Make sure you bring a DSS, and map any promising planet you encounter on the way (terrafromable, water world, earth like world) - it'll help paying for the fuel :) .

Ok, if you really want to make some money, go to https://www.spansh.co.uk/riches , enter your source (and destination) system and play around a bit with the settings. Mapping value of that trip from e.g. Lave to Maia can be something like 80 MCr.

A long way through the cold dark. Lots to see in the area when it's under thargoid attack. Check out the Ray orbital in Atlas, but don't land there without heat sinks galore. Don't mess with Thargoids and they won't mess with you. But don't let them catch you with meta alloys. Meta alloys belong to them.

I will stay away from Thargoids, I still have flashbacks from the original Elite game, lol.

Make sure you bring a DSS, and map any promising planet you encounter on the way (terrafromable, water world, earth like world) - it'll help paying for the fuel :) .

Ok, if you really want to make some money, go to https://www.spansh.co.uk/riches , enter your source (and destination) system and play around a bit with the settings. Mapping value of that trip from e.g. Lave to Maia can be something like 80 MCr.

Yup I have my detailed surface scanner :)

@Old Rusty

I decided from the beginning of my life in the galaxy, that as long as someone didn't try to kill me, or steal/destroy my hard earned stuff, then I had no beef with them. I have been scanned by a few thargoids, and consider it pure eye candy. Apart from that we coexist in peace ☮ With the actual humans in the game. Not so much :) Strangely enough that's even the case with some of the humans the AI of the game tries to simulate :unsure:

250 ly is quite a trip, especially if you don't have a ship with a large jump range. Safe travels!

@Old Rusty

I decided from the beginning of my life in the galaxy, that as long as someone didn't try to kill me, or steal/destroy my hard earned stuff, then I had no beef with them. I have been scanned by a few thargoids, and consider it pure eye candy. Apart from that we coexist in peace ☮ With the actual humans in the game. Not so much :) Strangely enough that's even the case with some of the humans the AI of the game tries to simulate :unsure:

250 ly is quite a trip, especially if you don't have a ship with a large jump range. Safe travels!

Thank you! o7

What am I up to?

I am about to make the journey to the Maia system, to buy some meta alloy so I can unlock the engineer Felicity Farseer. I have never made such a long trip, some 250'ish light year.

I remember my first trip down there, so many jumps and so many unscoopable stars and at that time there were almost no stations along the route.
Yes when early in your career it is a long trip especially the return journey wondering who or what might interdict you for your precious cargo, have fun commander but watch all round.

Top Bottom