Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I've read everything about the engineers at least a dozen times from that link. Once I get my fleet of eight purchased and upgraded as far as I can go without them I start the slow process of engineering each one, one at a time until I've maxed out each ship for it's dedicated purpose. .........

I think perhaps you would find things went a lot easier for whatever activity you indulge in if you unlock either Elvira or Flic right away and engineer up to level 5 on FSD jump range then pin that blueprint. This makes all your travels quicker and by having the pinned blueprint you can enhance the jump on every ship you get.

I never liked the way Engineers turned out, it made Open a real gankers delight - so unbalanced - but the PvPers got their toys in the beta (see how many weapon mods and experimentals there are) and threw enough hissy-fits for F D to cave-in and keep the extremes in the game. Sad really.

I think perhaps you would find things went a lot easier for whatever activity you indulge in if you unlock either Elvira or Flic right away and engineer up to level 5 on FSD jump range then pin that blueprint. This makes all your travels quicker and by having the pinned blueprint you can enhance the jump on every ship you get.

I never liked the way Engineers turned out, it made Open a real gankers delight - so unbalanced - but the PvPers got their toys in the beta (see how many weapon mods and experimentals there are) and threw enough hissy-fits for F D to cave-in and keep the extremes in the game. Sad really.

I concur. Flea first, if only for the FSD... Well, that's just my opinion, of course :D

See, right there. I learned something. I thought you needed to engineer each ship individually. I didn't realize that once you unlock say FSD engineering you can apply that to all your ships. This makes the tedious task far less tedious. Thanks for that...

Dunno if I'd want an SRV in a passenger ship, mostly because the passengers can't take a ride in it. They might like landing and peeking out the window though and there are probably sightseeing passenger missions where that is requested. My plans are to stack one full of economy class cabins and then eventually get the FSD and Thrusters engineered for distance and speed. The Coriolis build I'm working on says I can put 34 butts in seats so stacking tourist outings should be fun. Like a big party boat. I still get those rich passengers with the economy class cabins too. Got 500k for hauling one day before yesterday in my economy cabins I have in the Cobra.

Possibly, but you won't see the offers for business class - certainly there are some rich guys flying economy as well, but you won't get business class offers without to have business class cabins on board. Same for first class passengers, you won't see these offers, without to have a first class cabin on board. I like the variety of offers I have with the combination of economy and business class. So far I don't have the reputation to get many first class offers, because most require a reputation of "friendly", whereas I have just "cordial" yet. But cordial gives me quite a lot of transports to planet surfaces - and that is why I have the SRV ready in this ship as well, that I can do a little planet surface stuff, when I am already on the surface anyway. This is as well why I have some cargo space ready, just in case, I'd find something interesting. And especially with the Cobra I can do some FA off training as well near the surface, training my skills to control my spacecraft under different gravitational conditions. These matter a lot with FA off, and flight behavior is quite different dependent on local gravity in place. This is why I have this kind of stuff on board as well.

I've read everything about the engineers at least a dozen times from that link. Once I get my fleet of eight purchased and upgraded as far as I can go without them I start the slow process of engineering each one, one at a time until I've maxed out each ship for it's dedicated purpose. For example, I don't want monster weapons on my Sidey, I just want her to be blazing fast with good shielding and armour. I really like Inara and I highly recommend getting an account there if you don't already have one. I like posting my journal so it brings up my activity and then writing in the diary/logbook section. It's more of an RPG account of my life in ED. Still trying to decide on that Dolphin though. I might buy one just to turn it into a motorhome and go camping on planets with it.

I suggest slowly working on the more time consuming parts right away.
Do a little trade at every station you go to.
It can be one ton of biowaste.
You need to trade in 50 different markets eventually.
That will help unlock Lei Chung, the G5 shield engineer.

Also, one of the very first things I did was take a boom time delivery of a minimum of 5 tons, at a system/station I didn't plan to return to at all.
Then I sold 1 ton each to 5 different black markets as I made my way down to Li Yong Rui controlled space (for the ship and outfitting discounts).
That is for The Dweller, who can mod your Power Distributor to G5, and do some nice laser mods as well.

Getting Martuuk and Farseer are pretty straightforward.
You just need to travel enough/get some exploration rank and buy some Soontil relics/a meta-alloy respectively, and you're basically all set.

Just those four would make your ships really shine!
If you add Prof. Palin you're in a whole different world of performance, speed wise.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

I actually was able to buy and equip an Asp Explorer since I posted last night!
Now I just need to fill up on engineering mats and work towards a Krait.
I should have this account pretty well set up by the time DW2 rolls around.

:)

Excellent advice.

To be fair, in every engineering balance thread I've participated in during my time here, it has been the PVP community that has been most vocal for balancing weapons and defense, re; engineering and power creep.
It's about as close to consensus as we are going to see.

It's generally the NPC farmers that want to keep mega shields, magic engineering etc.

Excellent advice.

To be fair, in every engineering balance thread I've participated in during my time here, it has been the PVP community that has been most vocal for balancing weapons and defense, re; engineering and power creep.

It's generally the NPC farmers that want to keep mega shields, magic engineering etc.

Bloody NPC farmers and their depersonalized cows. *shakes fist*

Excellent advice.

Well, that is the same in any pvp enabled game. If the devs listen to these guys, then all ships are in the end much the same and boring - if they want it balanced, they could just all fly stock sidewinder, then it is perfectly balanced. The whole balancing thing is making a game dull and not interesting and that is the fault of pvp guys, who don't stop asking for balance until all is nerfed into the ground and boring.

Actually what they want is not balance, but that their opponents ships will be nerfed - and they call this balance then. These kind of requests ruin every pvp game, if devs are listening to these requests.

Well, that is the same in any pvp enabled game. If the devs listen to these guys, then all ships are in the end much the same and boring - if they want it balanced, they could just all fly stock sidewinder, then it is perfectly balanced. The whole balancing thing is making a game dull and not interesting and that is the fault of pvp guys, who don't stop asking for balance until all is nerfed into the ground and boring.

Actually what they want is not balance, but that their opponents ships will be nerfed - and they call this balance then. These kind of requests ruin every pvp game, if devs are listening to these requests.

I suggest that line of reasoning belongs in DD, my good CMDR.
I dare say you are way off the mark with it, that said.

Please don't speak for other people like that.
Mahalo!

I suggest that line of reasoning belongs in DD, my good CMDR.
I dare say you are way off the mark with it, that said.

Please don't speak for other people like that.
Mahalo!

You didn't even bother to tell me what DD means - so your comment is of absolutely no value to me, because I do not even know what you are saying with it.

You didn't even bother to tell me what DD means - so your comment is of absolutely no value to me, because I do not even know what you are saying with it.

Sorry, this is the newcomers forum.
"Dangerous Discussion" is more appropriate if you want to get salty about PVP.

DD = Dangerous Discussions. The forum where experienceed CMDR's chat about all things ED - there's a lot of salt in there so peruse with with hazmat suit donned.

EDIT: ninja'd again. I need to engineer my post module. Perhaps to 20A, G10.

Sorry, this is the newcomers forum.
"Dangerous Discussion" is more appropriate if you want to get salty about PVP.

I don't want to be salty, I just stated a fact which I have experienced to be valid in more than 20 years playing in online games. It has always the same pattern and to expect a different outcome "this time around" would be insanity (referring to Albert Einstein's quote here).

I don't want to be salty, I just stated a fact which I have experienced to be valid in more than 20 years playing in online games. It has always the same pattern and to expect a different outcome "this time around" would be insanity (referring to Albert Einstein's quote here).

Be that as it may, the point stands.

You might not want to be salty, but, it's getting ionic in here...
Have some respect for the OP please.

Back
Top Bottom