Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here play mouse and keyboard? I kinda thought it was just for poor people but I signed up to Twitch recently (urgh) and noticed experienced players going with that option.

I know, they might be experienced and poor, but I don't think that was it.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here play mouse and keyboard? I kinda thought it was just for poor people but I signed up to Twitch recently (urgh) and noticed experienced players going with that option.

I know, they might be experienced and poor, but I don't think that was it.
Many PvPers actually prefer KB+M for a superior aiming precision and less-precise-yet-more-responsive thruster control.
Can't speak on that level of skill, but personally I find it a little cumbersome, yet manageable. I play with HOTAS because it FEELS better to control the ship that way, but I do occasionally play with KB+M when I play on the laptop during travels.
I think this is one of the strengths of Elite, actually - there is no "prefered" control option. No matter if you play with a controller, HOTAS, simple joystick + keyboard, or just keyboard and mouse (some even play keyboard only - the old-fashion Elite style), when you get good at it, you are not disadvantaged in any way.
You could literally control the game by a couple of wires stuck in a potato and still be competitive if you really wanted.

Many PvPers actually prefer KB+M for a superior aiming precision and less-precise-yet-more-responsive thruster control.
Can't speak on that level of skill, but personally I find it a little cumbersome, yet manageable. I play with HOTAS because it FEELS better to control the ship that way, but I do occasionally play with KB+M when I play on the laptop during travels.
I think this is one of the strengths of Elite, actually - there is no "prefered" control option. No matter if you play with a controller, HOTAS, simple joystick + keyboard, or just keyboard and mouse (some even play keyboard only - the old-fashion Elite style), when you get good at it, you are not disadvantaged in any way.
You could literally control the game by a couple of wires stuck in a potato and still be competitive if you really wanted.
Yeah, I like that too. I was pleasantly surprised to see experienced players using MK because it made me realise that anyone could play the game to a top level regardless of the equipment they have.

Came across my first red giant. Holy cow.
Why does that make a difference? They're all round-shaped and you have to fly around them in the normal fashion anyway.

I mean I happened across a neutron star which almost burned me to death but I don't get what the big deal is with a red giant like Betelgeuse.

Red giants are much more rare than NS for one. Plus if you find one with a landable planet within its corona, it makes for a challenging exploration and amazing vistas. :)
Huh. I would've thought neutron stars were more rare than red giants. You learn something new every day.

Huh. I would've thought neutron stars were more rare than red giants. You learn something new every day.
I guess it depends on what you call a red giant. Game calls it many things but if you only count "real" red giants like Betelgeuse, X Carinae, etc. they really are just a few.

To give it some context, I came close to 85% heat while I was refueling close to its atmosphere (with a build optimized for excellent thermals). I tried to pull away from it, but I kept overheating for a WHILE as I was trying to get away from it. Heat just stuck at 98% and it wouldn't go down while I was doing 1-2C. Scary af.

a stealthy DBX (no other reason than that they're kinda cool - would probably find no use for it)
Get it as cool as possible, fit it with a limpet controller and take it into a conflict zones with people contesting it. Fly around stealthily stealing all the mats the ships drop. Make obtuse comments in the comms and see if people notice. If they do, see if they can find you!

I'm not super motivated today, and mining is broken, so I just did some casual exploring. My little bubble of discovered systems is slowly growing :)

Screenshot_0588.jpg

Top Bottom