Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Looks like I'm on my way to the Soul Nebula. Interestingly, there's a lot more systems already discovered along my route so far than there were en route to Colonia.

Off exploring regions nearish the bubble again.

I was wondering, has anyone ever seen an O class star?

Just the one according to EDDiscovery (but I normally have all main sequence except AFGK excluded when exploring):

edd stars.jpg

It doesn't tell me where it was and there is also one listed in a couple of other accounts (which are not exploration-focussed).

DEC 1st i been on a fleet carrier towards Colonial (erm hopefully) along with another 69 players, just got to be ready to jump to jacks lighthouse

Was about to dock with Felicity Farseer to build my longer ranged material gathering build and forgot the advice of going in Solo mode for this place. Had (2 i think) gankers remove my shield before I figured out what was going on. Panicked and exited game. Came back in solo with 28% hull.

When I was logging out it gave the timer of about 14 seconds? Not sure if they could continue attacking during that 14 seconds since I doubt my hull could have withstood even 10 seconds from gankers.

As long as you haven't exited the game (or aren't docked on a pad) your ship is vulnerable. That timer is there for exactly that purpose: so you can't simply log out of a dangerous situation. Yes, your ship will be visible to others and continue to take damage during this countdown - and killing other players is considered legitimate gameplay.

Btw., logging out by other means, circumventing that timer, is NOT considered legitimate gameplay. Usually called "combat logging" (CL). That at least is the official stance from FD. Gankers often choose to interprete any outcome that doesn't involve your ship exploding as "combat logging" - up to you which side you take in this debate, I stick to FD's ruling.

As long as you haven't exited the game (or aren't docked on a pad) your ship is vulnerable. That timer is there for exactly that purpose: so you can't simply log out of a dangerous situation. Yes, your ship will be visible to others and continue to take damage during this countdown - and killing other players is considered legitimate gameplay.

Btw., logging out by other means, circumventing that timer, is NOT considered legitimate gameplay. Usually called "combat logging" (CL). That at least is the official stance from FD. Gankers often choose to interprete any outcome that doesn't involve your ship exploding as "combat logging" - up to you which side you take in this debate, I stick to FD's ruling.

In that case I assume I got lucky, I last saw the ship at about 80% hull and no shields or any engineering and I waited the 14 or so seconds the greyed out timer showed before quitting to game main menu. I was expecting that 80% hull not to last 10 seconds. Maybe noob gankers?

I assume CL is by shutting down the entire app with windows button.

How do you CL? I wouldn't do it as I don't know how to and I never play in open anyway. Interested as it's the first time I've heard of it.
I don't - and I think discussion of possible means is severely frowned upon by FD and enforced by the forum mods.
I'll give it a try with a very general approach, and hope to get away with a warning - if this post mysteriously disappears, you'll know why 🤷‍♂️.

Basically, you need to disconnect from the FD servers. As this is a fragile connection at the best, there are various means to achieve this. Your pet rabbit biting through the cable would be something that only works once, though.

Historically clogging was referred to as pulling-the-plug, since people's RJ45 connectors are nowadays not to hand on most people's gear (or not in use 'cos wifi) then plugs are not pulled.

Mine is very much one arm stretch away :D The PC uses a direct ethernet connect as opposed to wi-fi. But it's a moot point as gankers will never get me. Mwahaha etc.

I always thought c logging was a bit odd - if you play in Solo then you don't need it, and given that the only difference between playing in Solo and playing in Open is that in Open you share space with other human pilots (so are at the whim of how they might act, just as they are liable to the results of whatever you do) it's strange to pick Open then run away. So I must be missing part of the puzzle. I used to be in Solo, now I play Open (or squadron private group, sometimes) and if I meet a hostile human pilot (very rare - have had three rebuys in some years of playing, and two of those were just a T6) and am outmatched then I take my licks. It's frankly pretty rare to meet a human pilot and even rarer to be attacked by one, in my experience. I visited both Lei Cheung and Broo Tarquin in Open in a shieldless Krait (well, it had shields but I didn't have the juice to run them at that point!) last week, saw one human Viper and had no issues. If I were worried about other players I'd fly Solo. So I'm surprised that c logging attracts so many column inches online, as flying in Open but avoiding other humans when encountered seems counterintuitive to me. Anyway, sorry for the digression!!!

well, I've got every ship and have done the fox's engineer guide, have a guardian fsd booster too
hmmm, what to do next??
go on a mats run, join in the trade CG, robigo run for a credit crunch, more guardian stuff
who know?

haven't tried thargoid hunting yet but don't feel prepared for it at the moment

I'm a CMDR without a purpose!
I got to the same point and joined a squadron, has really changed my game experience (for the better!). Can recommend it.

I decided that my carrier could be a viable home and, as such, I have now transferred all ships and modules to it, thus moving out of Jameson Memorial entirely.

I may do a few more painite runs and fully equip the beast with a shipyard and outfitting workshop as well as a redemption office and a secure trading desk. I'm not sure yet though. I do like the idea of becomimg fully (sort of) salf-sufficient but I need a little more cash and I'll have to work harder for the UC. Another long-term goal then.

I'm also thinking of doing more CZ's. Hazres combat is a bit fish-inna-barrel (not onna stick) so I feel something a little more challenging is needed. Although, thinking about it, I could take on some higher threat NHSS's.

A really, really long-term goal is a visit to the galactic centre but I tend to go a little doolally if I'm out in the black too long.

So, to go full circle, I may just hope to Skeggiko O and check out the costing of a fully armed and operational death star carrier.
I love me a combat zone. Did several back to back shaking down a new Krait last night, some in a wing (three white Kraits!) and some on my own. Happy times.

It seems I have returned to the bubble at a good time.

I was hoping to at least partially recoup the money I spent on my long voyage by selling the various stuff I had mined. The thing is, I didn't do all that much mining this trip. I had less than 600 tons of Painite and 57 of Void Opals. It didn't seem like enough.

But it turned out that prices were high today, so I was able to offload everything for a profit of 646 million. I think I'm good to go!

Big Tony was happy to stretch out a bit for the deliveries.

Screenshot_0855.jpg

Screenshot_0853.jpg

I got interdicted twice. I avoided the first one, but the second one was a silly iEagle and Big Tony is armed. It didn't end well for the pirate.

So now I only have a few tons of other junk to get rid of at some point, and I'm free to pursue some other things.

That worked out well :)

Anyway, after finishing the CG, back to some T-9 salvage and rescue work. One of the best things in the game for me. Shame there's no burning stations at the moment, ah well.

Currently, FC parked in a system with 'Pirate Activity Detected' POIs.
Drop in, check for salvage, launch collectors and avoid pirate interference. Grab the prizes and get out of Dodge. Heat sinks break their scan (usually). The problem is if my limpets grab something that a pirate is already trying to scoop they insta-aggro!
Had two rebuys so far, probably a bit more fiddling needed with shields/armour.
Yep, the Rescue T-9 was built for distance, no longer necessary. Drop the fuel scoop, up the armour. Might try for a cold tanky build. But if I unlock prismatics...
(NO weapons, the Rescue stuff is all RP!).

So much to do! :D (y)

Edit: Oh yeh, made just shy of a billion from the CG. Madness. If I'd had my brain in gear could've been much more. Gordon Gecko for the win!

Last edited:
Top Bottom