Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

you know,i it is really mind-blowing. step 1 is the only time, where this system can pop up in it's complete and infinitely large state - given that there is an equivalent of the natural number set it in. With it we would know from Gödel's incompleteness, that there is always some undecidable truth in any such state - and because there is no time yet, that something can blow up to its infinite complete state - and then it is contradictive as well by Gödel's 2nd theorem. This gives the opportunity to have tipping points and pseudo-randomness is in the system.

In my mind that is the "outer" system in which universes or anything else can pop up over time. One can argue how complex adaptation comes into play as well - i won't do that here yet. But the whole system has incredible features - just one axiom (there has been change), just 1 building block (relations) and just 1 principle to rule it all (complex adaptation). Think about it.

Last edited:
Statistics you say?
Last couple of exploration trips (surveying the same sector, I pop at Explorer's Anchorage every ~1000 systems to sell data) I got:
2004 new systems jumped to
18925 FSS scans (they count both as level 2 & level 3 in codex)
744 mapped bodies (all within efficiency target, only efficient ones counted by codex)
increased Exploration Profits by 1423 and ½ million credits

Last edited:
For bigger than infinity...

We're into the realm of theoretical theories and possibly philosophy and religion on the way :D

I mean, is infinity possible? No end? No beginning? Same for time... what was there before the Big Bang? I can't get my head around absolutely nothing and then SOMETHING coming out of that nothing.

My head hurts...
A few weeks back in the schools broadcasts the BBC repeated a series about mathematics part of one of those programmes was about infinity and included the somewhat mind boggling point that there are different sizes of infinity.

What I am and have been doing.
Well after the early finish of the Rares CG I went hunting HGEs to boost my stocks of manufactured materials, especially the higher grade ones. Yesterday I came to the decision I would try and skip this weeks CG and keep on hunting, then today I find I have just maxed out one of the G5 mats found in Imperial systems and there is a Materials Trader in Sirius so off to Sirius to make more harvesting space and like the week person I am signed up for the new bounty hunting CG with its rewards of paintjobs for the Viper III and for the Top 10 a free ship.

Away from the game I have just had a letter from the NHS inviting me to go and let them play darts with my arm soon and again 11 weeks later.

A few weeks back in the schools broadcasts the BBC repeated a series about mathematics part of one of those programmes was about infinity and included the somewhat mind boggling point that there are different sizes of infinity.
Yeah, that is pretty simple to explain actually - see the set of rational numbers is of countable infinity - a bijection between it and the set of natural numbers is possible. Not so the set of real numbers, it has far more numbers than the set of rational numbers and isn't countable (meaning there is no bijection possible to the set of natural numbers).

Last edited:
Only two, infinitly large and infinitly small. How many infinitly smalls fit into an infinitly large space? You know the answer.
The largest thing you can measure will be infinity minus 1, which is still an infinitly small number. 👀😎🍺

Yeah, hotel infinity - a countable infinite amount of guest arrives in hotel infinity. All their countable infinite rooms are occupied already. how to make room for those new arrivals?

simple - move all former guests to a room number double as big as their old one was - as a result their room numbers will all be even then - and there is a countable infinite amount of rooms with uneven room numbers free now :)

Last edited:
Getting back to this question:
Is it astronomically impossible for a star to have rings? Can some moon smash into a planet and the resulting debris all fall around the sun?

"Rings" have certainly been observed around dead stars, such as the white dwarf you've found above. Active black holes and neutron stars (pulsars) of course have accretion discs, which are a form of ring. Protostars will often have a "protoplanetary disc", which is likewise a form of ring.

Rings are not long-term stable around main sequence stars, as they are around planets, because stars are putting out vast quantities of radiation and high-energy particles - the "solar wind". The solar wind tends to push everything outwards, away from the star, and the smaller an object is and the closer to the star it is, the more push it gets. Tiny ring-particles orbiting within a star's Roche limits would quickly get blasted out of their nice circular orbits and dispersed into the outer reaches of the solar system. So yes, a ring can form easily enough by two planets smashing together, or whatever, but it would quickly disperse, within a few thousand orbits (a couple of hundred earth-years, maximum) it would be completely unrecognizable as a "ring", I suspect. A permanent or semipermanent ring around a star would require a constantly renewing source of particles (such as a highly volcanic world constantly spewing out dust and ash into space) to replace the ones lost to the solar wind.

Sold off the gubbins I'd mined and topped up with tritium.

Did some fighting.

Got back to my carrier with a 1% increase in combnat rank only to find it all kicking off:

lEGYqh3.jpg

I think they were firing on a Beluga. Shame.

Hmm...

I just handed in some combat bonds for the Feds and got a message saying I'm now an ally of the Pilots Federation. The odd thing is, I had exactly this message earlier this week. Does rep with that faction decay?

Thought that was Fed rank (like Empire) not the Pilots Federation. Or are they the same thing?
Oops, I may have mixed things, sorry!
There are several different Pilots Federation factions, maybe that was different one than the previous - different 'Local Branch' maybe?
AFAIK minor faction reputation does not decay, unless you do something to negatively affects the rep.

I could use a sandwich.
You literally read my future mind from your past.

See? I can do physics too.

I think I'm around five jumps from Kashyapa. Imagine how lacking in sleep (and in danger of missing my alarm) I was before yesterday's shift that I thought "No, you've made 87 jumps tonight.. but this last five might be a step too far".

I'm now heading towards the finish line and should reach Colonia by next week at the latest. I notice there are a few touristy bookmarks between Kashyapa and there (old pic, I arrived from Boewnst) so I'll double check to see if they interest me before I plough right through.

I'll probably just try and smash my way though in my crippled little Cobra though.

And then order drinks on Dyson's tab.

Elite Dangerous Screenshot 2021.02.21 - 14.52.43.jpg

Oops, I may have mixed things, sorry!
There are several different Pilots Federation factions, maybe that was different one than the previous - different 'Local Branch' maybe?
AFAIK minor faction reputation does not decay, unless you do something to negatively affects the rep.
Edit

Don't know how I posted this. Ignore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom