Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Thrown a gold bar at Lei Cheung's head while he is modding the shield booster for another CMDR, that apparently knocked him out of conscious....
Screen Shot 10-01-21 at 12.38 PM 002.JPG

Better leave first before he wake up. I'm gonna mod my combat ships first so I think I can pretend I was not there with another ship .....

gonna change my suit color and put on my helmet. sshhhhh.....

Out mining yet again. Then... I'm going to actually make an effort and do some missions. Properly this time, instead of just randomly. Work up my faction rating in some system.

I'd like to see what "support" entails but I've yet to see one displayed. According to the blurb on t'internet, one must find a system where a faction is in a "negative" state. Hmm.

I'm wondering: is it worth upgrading the suit (say to G4 or 5) first, or getting mods first, like greater back pack capacity?

Either way, the material cost seems expensive given how rare some appear to be.

If you can pick up G3 equipment with some of the more useful mods. Then this is good for all the mat scavenging you need to do to eng up.
I am sure you can afford to look around and shop for the good g3 stuff. Just remember if you sell equipment and suits you only get 10cents in the dollar... (n) :oops:
Only sell when your happy with a good set of G5 full mod suits and guns. edit : don't sell any mats that are needed for mods. seee inaraaa...

I'm wondering: is it worth upgrading the suit (say to G4 or 5) first, or getting mods first, like greater back pack capacity?
I would say, do you run into er.. regular spirited discussions with the NPCs most of the time when loo peacefully going about sabo doing your administrative tasks?

If so go for the suit G5 upgrade. It tips the discussion in your favour a lot.

Devils Advocate : I did it that way but after G5, whatever remaining materials were usually so specific that by the time I gathered the mats for the backpack upgrade, I changed my mind literally at the engineer's shop. I didnt think I needed the space because the standard 30/15 Maverick pack was good enough when I am only cherry picking mats, so the mod slot had better uses. And using the bigger pack just for looting for creds didnt appeal to me since the on foot creds are insignificant compared to space pew pew kaboom.

Besides, its quite a strain on the spine carrying several dozen rolls of tungsten carbide in the pack. When was the last time you saw chiropractor services open at the station?

Last edited:
Then... I'm going to actually make an effort and do some missions. Properly this time, instead of just randomly. Work up my faction rating in some system.
Really the only reason to upgrade your on-foot gear is to make doing the missions easier and more fun. If you're not doing them, there's not much point in upgrading your tools!

I found myself really enjoying the on-foot missions, so I've kept doing them and they give me reasons to upgrade stuff.

My faction rating never seems to go past cordial anywhere while doing on-foot stuff, though. I'm always focused on the material rewards, which means I'll take whichever missions give me what I'm after. This tends to have me working for different factions all the time, and many of the missions seem to raise my rep with one faction while lowering it with another. Over time they all just equalize at cordial or neutral, lol.

My rep also doesn't seem to affect the missions offered on foot, nor their payouts. I've tried going to places where I'm already allied with everyone, and it's the same missions as everywhere else, with the same rewards.

I've taken to working out of Anarchy systems, or systems near anarchies (so that some of the missions are to anarchy settlements). That allows me to (sometimes) bypass getting bounties and notoriety.

I don't care about bounties too much, but notoriety is a pain. It takes so long to decay and you have to be in-game the whole time. Meanwhile you are harassed by bounty hunters coming after you, your ship is hot and can't be modified (without huge 'cleaning' fees). Even if you go where you are not wanted, the notoriety goes with you. Switching ships doesn't help either.

I also see a fair number of those 'Restore Power' missions. I guess anarchy factions tend to have detrimental states more often, or something. Or I've just been lucky. :p

So that's where I do my dirty deeds these days.

I'm in Vesper-M4 at the moment. There are 4 Restore Power missions on the board.

Screenshot 2021-10-01 061004.jpg

Come to the Dark Side. We have cookies. Ok, we don't. But evil is it's own reward, right? :p

Currently about 675LYs out of home base, LHS 20. Working my way back on a Road to Riches route. I finally decided to go and check out one of the Notable Stellar Phenomena that are in the area of space I am currently passing through. All this time in the game and never popped into one. Found the Sea urchin looking structures and some gourd bugs (yeah I know they have other REAL names, but this is good enough). Nice looking, something different to see out in the black.

The other day, I had had a conundrum about the Eskimo Sector named systems. Yes, the NGC 2392 Sector replaced it as stated, and I was able to pick up the system I had to skip and just finished the last two systems with the replacement name last night. While I was in the game I didn't think to check, but did they also rename the Nebula as well? I did some checking online and this nebula has other names, such as Clown-faced Nebula, Lion Nebula, or Caldwell 39. (Wikipedia reference). I guess I'll have to check the next time I'm in game...

Sailing the stars, Master and Commander on my side of the Galactic Ocean,

Michael Charlie Golf, signing out

I saw that "Eskimo" renaming thing on your post. I'm probably ignorant of such things but I didn't know that word was not "PC"... 💁‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Just off to sell my platinum. Should get 100mCR or so. I wonder how long it will take me to get to Elite V as a trader? :D

Then it's mission time. I'll be more selective and go after the mats I need for upgrades/mods - chemical inventory, digital designs and epoxy adhesive. If I decide to go for the backpack thing. It all may change though!

Out mining yet again. Then... I'm going to actually make an effort and do some missions. Properly this time, instead of just randomly. Work up my faction rating in some system.

I'd like to see what "support" entails but I've yet to see one displayed. According to the blurb on t'internet, one must find a system where a faction is in a "negative" state. Hmm.

Either way, the material cost seems expensive given how rare some appear to be.
In general the upgrades give you more than the engineering. Steady increase in DPS for weapons and hit points for suits, but they are expensive in mats. 233 to get a weapon from G1-G5, 285 for a suit. Compare that to Horizons engineering about 65 to G1-G5 a module, assuming conservative rolls. At 3 mats per drop in Horizons compared to 1 per drop in Odyssey and the very limited range of stuff you can trade, you can see why many see the Odyssey upgrade path a massive grind.

I've always found Clowns offensive, but I wouldn't think the name was un-PC. I think Eskimo is a name 'given' to the Innuits and could be construed as a racial slur.
When I see some nebulae names I wonder 'what were they thinking?'. Running Chicken and Shrimp, for example, those people must have been really hungry when they saw them.
The problem is, there's a lot of overlap between NGC, Caldwell & Messier (plus others, eg. Sharpless).

I saw an amusing post on the Planet Zoo forums the other day. I don't generally look at those forums but for some reason this one showed up in my normal "new posts" feed.

Apparently, they are adding cougars to the game, which everyone is happy about.

Also apparently, the word "cougar" is considered a rude word and is bleeped out by the bad word filter.

FDEV is still FDEV, after all :)

Back
Top Bottom