Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Thinking that the extra slot next patch will be very useful for explorers, decided to spend this week hanging around the bubble and unlocking some engineers that I've been overlooking until now.

The Dweller - never done smuggling so this was new. Turns out explorer ships are good at it, because they tend to run cool already.

Liz Ryder - played the interdiction minigame several times while bringing her landmines, failed to notice I was smuggling but fortunately didn't get scanned.

Selene Jean - this is probably going to take a few days, because I've got another 445 tons of things to mine. Guess I'll refit my clipper for mining, because her class 7-bi-weave shield only lasts about 3 seconds in combat. Seems like she's made to run away not to stand and fight.

Marsha Hicks + Bill Turner - maybe this will happen by the time I've done Selene's 500. Already have Bill's permit because I've been strategically handing in my exploration data to unlock systems quickly :)

Lei Cheung - might just happen while doing the others, but if not, he'll be easy to round out the pack. 30/50 markets so far because I'm not much into trading.

Hopefully between these guys I'll be able to drop another few tons of mass off my Phantom and hit 65ly - or maybe I'll build an Explorca, because they look amazing and I think I can get one pushing 60ly. Might be worth it for the basking.

Meanwhile, I've taken to FSSing every USS in every system in pass though, because there are so many free manufactured materials floating around out there, especially if you find a nice inhabited system with only a couple of planets so everything clusters up in a tight area.
Phantom will be awesome with the extra slot. Equipping the repair limpet controller and a couple of limpets will make her fully self-sufficient on long trips even for somebody as clumsy as me. :D

Just bought three more ships to add to my armada: FDS, FAS and Chieftain. Still quite a few to get before I achieve fleet nirvana :D

Something I haven't seen before though - does availability of modules at a station change over time? I was looking for a DC at Ray's but there's none for sale.

Also, since my Windows hiccup, I don't have that program that links to Inara i.e. the one that sends data from my ED status to the web page that records all my ships, engineering, mats etc. EDDB Market Trader is it? I can't find the download anymore so if anyone has a link I'll rep you. Ah... OK, a "like" then :D

Cheers! @@@07

EDDB says that stations can go out of stock of modules temporarily, yeah. I got caught out by this last night too, had to go to a different system because there just weren't any of the thing I wanted, even though EDDB said there usually would be.

In my experience with EDDB I usually pay close attention to the last time the module list was updated, and pick the most recently update if its in the same jump range as the closest station - I've been burnt quite a few times by out of date EDDB module locations.

Just bought three more ships to add to my armada: FDS, FAS and Chieftain. Still quite a few to get before I achieve fleet nirvana :D

Something I haven't seen before though - does availability of modules at a station change over time? I was looking for a DC at Ray's but there's none for sale.

Also, since my Windows hiccup, I don't have that program that links to Inara i.e. the one that sends data from my ED status to the web page that records all my ships, engineering, mats etc. EDDB Market Trader is it? I can't find the download anymore so if anyone has a link I'll rep you. Ah... OK, a "like" then :D

Cheers! @@@07
There's a fair few systems nearby will have what you want (with discount).

BUT check distance to station before setting out.

I think you're looking for Elite Dangerous Market Connector. That's what I use, though there are several programs that can link to Inara.

I recently sold three ships as having so many was doing me head in.

That's the chap! Needed a new authentication key but I'm back in now! Cheers, Sinisalo!

Cheers! @@@07
There is Elite Dangerous Market Connector and Elite Dangerous Discovery, I have both but mostly use Discovery as it lets me look at my journals and all sorts while still passing data along.

Stock levels in outfitting vary.

Cheers! @@@07
Yes, the availability changes over time, and I'm pretty sure multiplayer influences it. On a few occasions, I bought a module, and then it was no longer available.

As for linking your profile with Inara, see these tools. I use Market Connector - the download link is somewhere on the page. ;)

Last night I decided it was time to mine 500 of the things for Selene Jean.

Wasn't a great start; despite checking up the optimal planet to hit, I still wasted time in the wrong ring before realising I have to scan each one independently. Second pass found the Painite, and overall summed up to a mere 10m credits for the night. But I got some experience with laser mining, gave up with subsurface missiles due to 100% failure rate, failed to crack a rock, then succeeded in cracking a rock. Also turns out Clippers are really hard to aim without gimbals and targeting.

So now I have swapped my mining Clipper for an Orca. No it's not the best tool for the job, and it actually has less total cargo, but it's hella pretty, and it's carrying 1 laser, 1 abrasion blaster, 1 rock cracker, and can handle triple collector limpets. It's also surprisingly fast with engineered A-grade thrusters :whistle:

Should be fine to sit there and laser stuff while watching youtube, and if there happens to be a Painite core - sweet, can crack.

Last edited:
Last night I decided it was time to mine 500 of the things for Selene Jean.

Wasn't a great start; despite checking up the optimal planet to hit, I still wasted time in the wrong ring before realising I have to scan each one independently. Second pass found the Painite, and overall summed up to a mere 10m credits for the night. But I got some experience with laser mining, gave up with subsurface missiles due to 100% failure rate, failed to crack a rock, then succeeded in cracking a rock. Also turns out Clippers are really hard to aim without gimbals and targeting.

So now I have swapped my mining Clipper for an Orca. No it's not the best tool for the job, and it actually has less total cargo, but it's hella pretty, and it's carrying 1 laser, 1 abrasion blaster, 1 rock cracker, and can handle triple collector limpets. It's also surprisingly fast with engineered A-grade thrusters :whistle:

Should be fine to sit there and laser stuff while watching youtube, and if there happens to be a Painite core - sweet, can crack.

The Orca is also superb when you are fighting off interdictions not to mention far out jumps the Clipper, whose problem as a miner is in part down to how far off centre some of the hard points are.

The Orca is also superb when you are fighting off interdictions not to mention far out jumps the Clipper, whose problem as a miner is in part down to how far off centre some of the hard points are.

Yeah, without even trying, this Orca ended up with 44ly jump range. That's with no lightweight engineering and no guardian FSD booster - and heavy A rated thrusters. Clipper was running around 28. I do have less cargo space in the Orca, but I was bottlenecked by collector limpets and didn't manage to fill the Clipper up in yesterday's sesh anyway.

I like the Clipper visually, but I can't work out what it's actually good at. Trader seems most suited, since it can pack plenty of cargo, and runs away hella well if it needs to; but the gun placements and weak shields make it a hard sell for combat or mining purposes :confused:

Orca... hmm. Is it much different to a Dolphon? I think I'll check it out later!

Dolphin's bigger sister. I think some of the modules are restricted to cargo or passenger only, but that's fine for a miner.

Whelp, 2 runs in my Orca miner over 2 hours... a pair of cracked rocks, one failed crack, and a lot of laser mining... about 120 painite, plus other tidbits. Turns out even the single medium mining laser is badly bottlenecked by 3 collector limpets. Lot of time sitting idle while the cloud of fragments slowly gets collected.

Given that I'm now 80m credits richer, it might be time to get a Python. Seems like it's a bit of the meta for medium sized miners, and judging by the slots, I can see why. Go minimal on the shields, and there's an easy 6 collectors, 2 prospectors, and 128t of cargo, which it'll be able to fill faster than my Orca is filling its 96. Laden jump of 25 is a bit mediocre, but you can't have everything.

Shame the shield and scoop will be occupying a 4 and a 6 slot, one way round or the other; I'd rather have a small emergency scoop, but since collectors only come in odd sizes, that's the most sensible allocation. Maybe I can dump the surface landing package and put the DSS in that slot? Definitely looking forward to those extra size-1 in a few days, I can't do without my DSS but I begrudge it the size 2 it always ends up in :)

Whelp, 2 runs in my Orca miner over 2 hours... a pair of cracked rocks, one failed crack, and a lot of laser mining... about 120 painite, plus other tidbits. Turns out even the single medium mining laser is badly bottlenecked by 3 collector limpets. Lot of time sitting idle while the cloud of fragments slowly gets collected.

Given that I'm now 80m credits richer, it might be time to get a Python. Seems like it's a bit of the meta for medium sized miners, and judging by the slots, I can see why. Go minimal on the shields, and there's an easy 6 collectors, 2 prospectors, and 128t of cargo, which it'll be able to fill faster than my Orca is filling its 96. Laden jump of 25 is a bit mediocre, but you can't have everything.

Shame the shield and scoop will be occupying a 4 and a 6 slot, one way round or the other; I'd rather have a small emergency scoop, but since collectors only come in odd sizes, that's the most sensible allocation. Maybe I can dump the surface landing package and put the DSS in that slot? Definitely looking forward to those extra size-1 in a few days, I can't do without my DSS but I begrudge it the size 2 it always ends up in :)
The landing suite is the only thing that will fit in that slot, there are occasional speculations that when we get to land on planets with atmospheres there will be a different module to handle that.

It's real! It exists!
Xm5KrRh.jpg

Top Bottom