Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

This evening I decided to take my explorer Conda for a quick spin towards the Orion Nebula. Not very far, but the trip there from Jameson was beautiful. I turned towards the Running Man Nebula, and using the Galaxy Map found an asteroid outpost out here. Surrounded by dense gas you can't see any stars, and the outpost is spooky dark in a very sci-fi way. This game keeps amazing me :)

I ran into the system screen-shotted below recently. As a long-time reader of "Viz", it made me laugh, and also made me wonder how that name got approved :D

I decided to go off for a bit of Void-Opaling, to a nice quiet spot I know some distance out from the bubble. Now, I know that for some bizarre reason very likely to do with game code not checking to see where you are, it is a guaranteed event that a couple of pirates show up and check you out when you drop into the rings. So no problem, I turned up with nothing but limpets in the hold anyway, and they bug^H^H^H went away.

Off I go mining. After a frustrating 30 minutes of bimbling about, I had found one Void Opal core, and blown it up most satisfactorily. Then I went on my way Pulse Waving at all the rocks again to see if there were any more to be had, whereupon everything stuttered a bit before unceremoniously dumping me out with a CTD and the nice message about reporting it to Frontier. Which I did. I restarted the game, found myself back in the rings, started scanning... and then noticed two flickering triangles approaching from the edge of sensor range. Lovely - so the CTD had reset the "Have the Pirates Been In Yet" counter, and I get these two chancers who now discovered my hold had Void Opals in it :(

Of course, they pounced on me, and started firing off hatch-breaker limpets whilst attacking me. I was a bit miffed about this, as it wasn't my fault that the blasted game circumvented my pirate avoidance procedure, and even more so that despite the point defense, they were removing Void Opals and limpets out of my hold. Then I got mad :) I powered up the beams and frag cannon on the Krait, went after the Diamondback Explorer that was attacking me, and it started to have a very bad day after that! I managed to send it's owner to a re-buy screen somewhere in npc land, and set off after the Cobra MkIV that had been tagging along with it, mostly sending out hatch-breaker limpets - I may have shouted "Do you WANT SOME then?!" at it at that point... 😏 It didn't hang around, and high-waked out just as I got it's hull down to 6%.

Then I got back to some mining, and found two cores in quick succession - it was almost like the game was rewarding me for having CTD'd on me :D

I decided to go off for a bit of Void-Opaling, to a nice quiet spot I know some distance out from the bubble. Now, I know that for some bizarre reason very likely to do with game code not checking to see where you are, it is a guaranteed event that a couple of pirates show up and check you out when you drop into the rings. So no problem, I turned up with nothing but limpets in the hold anyway, and they bug^H^H^H went away.

Off I go mining. After a frustrating 30 minutes of bimbling about, I had found one Void Opal core, and blown it up most satisfactorily. Then I went on my way Pulse Waving at all the rocks again to see if there were any more to be had, whereupon everything stuttered a bit before unceremoniously dumping me out with a CTD and the nice message about reporting it to Frontier. Which I did. I restarted the game, found myself back in the rings, started scanning... and then noticed two flickering triangles approaching from the edge of sensor range. Lovely - so the CTD had reset the "Have the Pirates Been In Yet" counter, and I get these two chancers who now discovered my hold had Void Opals in it :(

Of course, they pounced on me, and started firing off hatch-breaker limpets whilst attacking me. I was a bit miffed about this, as it wasn't my fault that the blasted game circumvented my pirate avoidance procedure, and even more so that despite the point defense, they were removing Void Opals and limpets out of my hold. Then I got mad :) I powered up the beams and frag cannon on the Krait, went after the Diamondback Explorer that was attacking me, and it started to have a very bad day after that! I managed to send it's owner to a re-buy screen somewhere in npc land, and set off after the Cobra MkIV that had been tagging along with it, mostly sending out hatch-breaker limpets - I may have shouted "Do you WANT SOME then?!" at it at that point... 😏 It didn't hang around, and high-waked out just as I got it's hull down to 6%.

Then I got back to some mining, and found two cores in quick succession - it was almost like the game was rewarding me for having CTD'd on me :D
It's funny, but earlier today I went opal mining in a MKII to try it out. Nice handling, and with the new slot I can keep my DC. Life is all about laziness and maximizing profit. Yesterday the ring was good. You could see the next core from the recently blasted asteroid in most cases. Today there were no cores for 15 min, and then suddenly bam! They were all over. I also suspect some sort of RNG combined with an algorithm. Sometimes after prospecting one asteroid, another closeby asteroid that were dull seconds ago show up as juicy.

So... In that case it's just a matter of figuring out the algorithm to find a way to trick it ;)

Btw. If you managed to kill the pirate, you're all set. No need to go very far from home then. Plenty of good rings in the Bubble. It's REALLY satisfying first time you decide to fight back and succeed. I Remember that "Oh year? Have some of thizz!" moment.

Another one bites the dust.And this time i hope i've learned my lesson.If the destination star is a white dwarf, turn around and fly somewhere else.Anywhere else as long as it's not a white dwarf.
It was a good fight though,if you like the tumble dryer effect.about 8 minutes( i must have been on the fringes),i could see the exit and i was trying everything suggested in the ' one shot' advice,but a degraded fsd with corrosives ,heat and general buffeting,canopy gone and its only a matter of time before she's screaming 'eject,eject'.
Sitting in the station i back tracked the route.17,343 ly, 389 jumps or 139 with neutron boost.It will be a while before i tangle with a white dwarf again though.
Now running courier missions in a hauler while she's rebuilt.

Sorry you had that experience - it does confirm in my mind that I’m on the right lines when leaving the WD well alone! Too much risk for not enough gain; jumponium is safer and as effective :)

Another one bites the dust.And this time i hope i've learned my lesson.If the destination star is a white dwarf, turn around and fly somewhere else.Anywhere else as long as it's not a white dwarf.
It was a good fight though,if you like the tumble dryer effect.about 8 minutes( i must have been on the fringes),i could see the exit and i was trying everything suggested in the ' one shot' advice,but a degraded fsd with corrosives ,heat and general buffeting,canopy gone and its only a matter of time before she's screaming 'eject,eject'.
Sitting in the station i back tracked the route.17,343 ly, 389 jumps or 139 with neutron boost.It will be a while before i tangle with a white dwarf again though.
Now running courier missions in a hauler while she's rebuilt.
Dude, how many is that now? :confused: ;)
Now to make you feel better; remember my destruction at Witch Head and jaunt around the Orion complex permit wall to get to Epsilon Orionis? I gathered about 150M cr. worth of scan data on the trip, with several first discoveries and lots and lots of first maps. Awesome stuff. I also gathered lots and lots of awesome screenshots on the way, as I really love to do. Gladly, they're worth it in and of themselves for me...
Two jumps away from Deciat (TWO JUMPS after hundreds in the void, days of manual plotting and boosting to get around the Orion Complex wall, and sitting on all that scan data, so eager to get back to civilization and my payday!) I was approaching a jumponium POI while grabbing a pic or two when, all of a sudden, there's an explosion and a rebuy screen. Apparently I didn't learn my lesson from my last screencap-induced rebuy to mind one's surroundings and crashed while looking backward in free cam. 150M credits gone just might have done it this time.

The screenshots sucked.

Last edited:
Sorry you had that experience - it does confirm in my mind that I’m on the right lines when leaving the WD well alone! Too much risk for not enough gain; jumponium is safer and as effective :)

Oh,yeah,i forgot about that.,I've never used it yet 'cause it's quite expensive and i don't have full bins, but mainly 'cos i forgot.Another facepalm moment. :giggle:

Last edited:
Today has been kind to me. I'm now a billionaire Pioneer explorer. Yay. I remember my first ever mission paying me 10K - I thought I was rich!

Next goals are:
  • One of each ship (have 25 so far)
  • Elite explorer (may take a while)
  • Elite fighter (may never happen)
  • Mining - have my Krait II all set for it but never seem to get around to trying my hand. Must try harder.
Speaking of the Krait II, mine is called "Moist von Lipwig". Imagine my surprise when I scanned another Krait II in solo with the same name!

Anyway, for now, I'm just off to appreciate the galaxy and pootle around it with no particular aim.

Top Bottom