Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I've done yet another spring cleaning. Last one was last year. What did I sell?

• a fully modded DBX.
  • around 80 modules I had stored. Most of them heavily modded. Like G5 with special effects for most of them.
Why the madness you may wonder ? Because the game gave me the finger when it "lost" my fully modded G5 (clean/drag) 7A thrusters (for the Corvette) and seeker missiles (High Cap G5 drag drives). I'm not mad about the missiles, but the thrusters? That hurt. And as luck would have it, that's the only modules I don't have the mats for some g5 rolls xD

But now I have total freedom. 1 mighty ship (i might change and mod one of my shield boosters), one 20% dangerous crew member, an army of limpet controllers at my disposal. The universe has been warned.
Good luck! I don't really get people who have 2 of each ship - "This is my mining Anaconda. This is my exploration Anaconda. This is my cargo Anaconda. This is my mining Cobra. This is my combat Hauler (joke)..." - I have two ships - an A-rated Anaconda with a good jump range, shields and weapons and an AspX which I use for doing missions which require a smaller ship.

I can juggle around the modules to fit for the task I want to do in one ship, instead of spending tons of credits on buying lots of ships for different tasks/purposes. 🤔

I also tend to have a favourite ship that feels like "home", so I hate changing.

Good luck! I don't really get people who have 2 of each ship - "This is my mining Anaconda. This is my exploration Anaconda. This is my cargo Anaconda. This is my mining Cobra. This is my combat Hauler (joke)..." - I have two ships - an A-rated Anaconda with a good jump range, shields and weapons and an AspX which I use for doing missions which require a smaller ship.

I can juggle around the modules to fit for the task I want to do in one ship, instead of spending tons of credits on buying lots of ships for different tasks/purposes. 🤔

I also tend to have a favourite ship that feels like "home", so I hate changing.

Interesting. Although folks do have the same type of ship multiple times depending on what they fancy doing, I prefer a different type of ship for each "job".

For example, my Phantom explores, my Python does mission hauls, my T9 comes out if the cargo delivery amount demands it and my Vulture does RES shooty stuff. My Hauler came out for delivering black market goods to unlock an engineer. My Cobra is now a USS investigator.

Etcetara.

I currently "only" have four Condas. Explore, combat, mine and rescue. It's not the CR that is tiresome, it's the engineering mats. However it is very nice to be able to go back home and change ship quickly for another type of task. One way to get around it would be to be able to save setups in-game, but apart from the ship, the modules are quite different anyways. E.g. the explorer Conda has a small lightweight power plant, whereas the combat Conda uses all the power I can stuff into the ship. Money wise a fully outrigged engineered mining Conda is 4 times the price of the bare ship.

I also have two Mambas ;)

Edit: I also have a Krait MKII and a T-10 both rigged for mining. It all depends on the mood I'm in. It might help that core mining is such a prosperous thing. I've spent ~4 billion CR on ships and thingies so far.

Last edited:
Interesting. Although folks do have the same type of ship multiple times depending on what they fancy doing, I prefer a different tyoe of ship for each "job".

For example, my Phantom explores, my Python does mission hauls, my T9 comes out if the cargo delivery amount demands it and my Vulture does RES shooty stuff. My Hauler came out for delivering black market goods to unlock an engineer. My Cobra is now a USS investigator.

Etcetara.
Yeah, I understand that. I won't be smuggling in an Anaconda or bounty hunting in a Hauler. What I mean is say having 4 Anacondas for different jobs. Wouldn't it be easier to have one but to swap modules? I saw a few CMDRS do that.

Yeah, I understand that. I won't be smuggling in an Anaconda or bounty hunting in a Hauler. What I mean is say having 4 Anacondas for different jobs. Wouldn't it be easier to have one but to swap modules? I saw a few CMDRS do that.
You could do that, but it becomes slightly complicated to remember each exact setup. Another thing you can do with the Conda is to make a true multipurpose setup. I've tried that, and apart from loosing the 80 ly jump range, it works pretty well. I normally use the ship a lot when core mining, and I like brawling, so hull and shield is a must in those cases. You need cargo for mining and hauling, and who cares about those annoying people at the burning stations. I mean, they have absolutely no patience or manners. ;)

You could do that, but it becomes slightly complicated to remember each exact setup. Another thing you can do with the Conda is to make a true multipurpose setup. I've tried that, and apart from loosing the 80 ly jump range, it works pretty well. I normally use the ship a lot when core mining, and I like brawling, so hull and shield is a must in those cases. You need cargo for mining and hauling, and who cares about those annoying people at the burning stations. I mean, they have absolutely no patience or manners. ;)
Yeah a multipurpose ship is a good idea. That's what I'm trying to achieve at the moment. I do passenger carrying for a living, but when I want to do some combat, I remove all the cabins and fit hull and module reinforcements, shield cell banks, etc.. it's much simpler and cheaper. A con of having many ships is multiplying the engineering, which is a pain. :)

I just hit 5000ly on my alt, and I’m on the way back to the bubble to finish unlocking Palin. I’ll crap off some of that data around Alioth, and then I’ll have access to the essential engineers for PvP.

Mostly Harmless nobody

It’s gonna be great.

The real me is docked at Jaques. Just kinda hangin’ out, and pinning different mods since last time.

I won't be smuggling in an Anaconda.
Come on, where's your sense of adventure? Some weeks back, I spent a couple of hours in an anarchy system pirating low temp diamonds in my Corvette. Went to my allied system of choice and smuggled around 80 tons of the stuff. I deactivated most of my modules, drift approach and last moment docking request. I made a 50 million something profit. Now that was thrilling.

Come on, where's your sense of adventure? Some weeks back, I spent a couple of hours in an anarchy system pirating low temp diamonds in my Corvette. Went to my allied system of choice and smuggled around 80 tons of the stuff. I deactivated most of my modules, drift approach and last moment docking request. I made a 50 million something profit. Now that was thrilling.
Haha. I don't smuggle or do pirating - I'm a legal passenger carrier/explorer/bounty hunter.

I just used the Anaconda as an example of how certain ships might not be as efficient at something as others. But yeah, smuggling in a Conda sounds like fun. Or going into high conflict zones in a Sidewinder. Or joining the Empire. :D

Yeah a multipurpose ship is a good idea. That's what I'm trying to achieve at the moment. I do passenger carrying for a living, but when I want to do some combat, I remove all the cabins and fit hull and module reinforcements, shield cell banks, etc.. it's much simpler and cheaper. A con of having many ships is multiplying the engineering, which is a pain. :)
This was the multipurpose Conda setup I ended up with, but it had no passenger cabins:

Multi Conda

It was sort of a compromise in many ways. Nowadays, I would get rid of the fighter hangar and fit an AFMU instead. Also, the Scoop and the Power Plant didn't work very well, as it overheated.

I’ve always been more of a boost boost boost boost CLANG type of smuggler myself.

T9 smuggle runs are probably the most technical.

Everything has to be right before you start your run in, because it’s just too slow to bail. Gotta make sure the slots clear as you lumber on in, too. Don’t wanna get wedged, shieldless and overheating from SR.

If I remember right it goes: Line up with the front of the station in supercruise, drop, boost, then FA off to maintain momentum without further thruster activity, Engage silent running, glide on in.

You can usually get through without needing sinks, maybe just a little over 100% heat.

Oh dear oh dear.
Just got back to Diaguandri from the CG in my Keelback.
Swapped over to my Rescue Dropship, time for a bit of bug hunting and mat gathering.
But wait, what the?!
Jump range 25LY?

Checks engineering and... It's gone, all of it!
Or, I've got confused with my PS4 account and never actually engineered it. 😭

Made it to a nebula 2.5kly from colonia, set up a search pattern.Bumped into a few molluscs on my way here, but i may have passed this way before.Nice to see them though,like visiting old friends.We played for a bit.No new traits.Also found another nursery system for bark mounds.They seem to like it in the nebula,i wonder if it is the quality of light that allows them to thrive.

I have ended up with multiple versions of ships because I liked those ships for what I wanted to do but it was quicker to build a new one than get the original over to me in one case the other was I wanted to compare a different build approach and didn't trust myself to remember which modules where which, both of these ships were built before I had done much engineering.

I have a dilemma: I want to engineer my thrusters and shield generator to G5. A first glance at inara's engineer flow chart made it look simple between Elvira and Mel, but then I see that Mel is 22Kly away...and that the only other TG5 engineer is Palin, whom I hear nightmares about. I plan on going on the A11X expedition, so need to be at Witch Head on July 6. Which should I use? I'm currently on my way to purchase Elvira's relics to get the ball rolling, so Khun will be my starting point either way. I'm not too worried about the shields if I go with Palin; I should be able to unlock Lei without much trouble. But the one-stop-shop with Mel is definitely a factor.

P.S. I know none of this is required for the expo; it's just what I want to get done by then.

I have a dilemma: I want to engineer my thrusters and shield generator to G5. A first glance at inara's engineer flow chart made it look simple between Elvira and Mel, but then I see that Mel is 22Kly away...and that the only other TG5 engineer is Palin, whom I hear nightmares about. I plan on going on the A11X expedition, so need to be at Witch Head on July 6. Which should I use? I'm currently on my way to purchase Elvira's relics to get the ball rolling, so Khun will be my starting point either way. I'm not too worried about the shields if I go with Palin; I should be able to unlock Lei without much trouble. But the one-stop-shop with Mel is definitely a factor.

P.S. I know none of this is required for the expo; it's just what I want to get done by then.

The biggest nightmare about Prof Palin is the 5,000Ly trip away from your start system, I don’t remember much great difficulty getting the fragments he wants. Of course you have to unlock and work with Marco Q first but getting the Sirius permit and doing that aren’t too bad.

Mel doesn’t require an intermediate engineer to be unlocked and only wants a few bounties handing over but does need you to travel much further than the Professor does to reach him.

I’d say go with the Professor but then I haven’t gone much further out than his unlock distance.

To unlock Palin, outrig a ship for as long jump range as you can and as big a fuel scoop as possible, if you haven't got that already. Then pick something 5000 ly away. I can recomend:

Trifid Sector BQ-Y D244

Once you get there, check the pods ;)

I went there in a Conda with a 78 ly jump range and a 7A fuel scoop. It took me an hour. Then I played with the pods for a while, and used another hour to get back to Palin. It will also increase your explorer rank.

Top Bottom