Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Any tips on finding brain trees? They're the only bio I haven't seen yet.
Sadly, no. Late last year I randomly decided to do a planetary circumnavigation since they were all the rage at the time (ie, there were a dozen or so crazy types like me doing them). I was headed out towards the Prai Hypoo nebula and just picked the first vaguely appropriate moon I came across. Towards the end of that round-the-world trip, the beta arrived with the new scanners. After I finished, I lifted off to orbit and gave the new scanners a try, and lo, there was a bio site. And there were brain trees.

According to Cannon, they are commonly found around big ejecta craters close to Guardian ruins. Since the Prai Hypoo nebula is a hotspot for Guardian ruins, that probably explains how I unknowingly came upon them.

From today's perambulations...

Came across this weird-looking waterworld. Turns out to have an ammonia atmosphere. The new FSS comes up trumps again... don't think I'd have spotted it in the old visual honk mechanic.
Y93Gdk1h.png

Even more weird, I came across an identical one just a few jumps later!

Any tips on finding brain trees? They're the only bio I haven't seen yet.
The codex is your friend.It can at least point you in the right direction.The bark mounds are often found in clusters.Anemones i'm not so sure,i stumbled on one isolated site by chance but there was nothing in the surrounding systems as far as i could tell,and braintrees i haven't seen yet either.But there are others, some we haven't found yet,probably.We can never truly know. :)

I think I will buy a FSS once I get to Sag A* and scan some systems on the way back. I newer really understood that out here, many system maps only shows the main stars and not the 27 body's showing up when I honk. Are those undiscovered planets?

Undiscovered by you; not necessarily first discoveries! The FSS will tell you if a body has been discovered/mapped when you scan it.

I think I will buy a FSS once I get to Sag A* and scan some systems on the way back. I newer really understood that out here, many system maps only shows the main stars and not the 27 body's showing up when I honk. Are those undiscovered planets?

Just to clarify what has been said already. The reson you don't see them in the system map is because YOU have not "discovered" them - you need to either FSS them or fly within the passive detection range of 30Ls to do so.

When flying around in the Bubble, don't they often show up in the system map even if you haven't visited the system?
It was my understanding that discovered systems become common once the data has been turned in,but you still have to fss them(or fly close enough) to actually gain any payout.So sometimes you get the graphic but opening fss reveals 0% system scanned until you hunt them down.This has happened to me but it's a bit erratic,and may be things have changed.

:D I thought being explorer ranger and having seen NGC 7822 et al, that I had at least some exploring experience, but this trip has clearly shown me that I have not. For example I hadn't thought about the FSS being part of the scanner pack that came with the ship. I've never used it! Only the DSS. It was one of those I meant. Stopped at 14.000 ly from the Bubble. Need some rest. Tomorrow I'll try figuring out that FSS. Doh!

Just bought a xeno scanner and research limpet. i dont know if they will have any effect on the wildlife out here.
I'm not expecting thargoids this far out unless they've been seduced by the glamour of tourism,so perhaps they will have some effect.
For a change of pace i thought i'd stick with the sidewinder for a bit,see if i can harass a few more npc's.
It turns out i could.:)

I spent more time in a high res taking out pirates and scooping materials. I then took off to Blaster to donate 100k in bounties to unlock him. Then I started engineering my multi-cannons and rail guns. I need to get some more materials to finish it off now, but now I have been invited to some additional engineers.

When flying around in the Bubble, don't they often show up in the system map even if you haven't visited the system?

Didn't see this before now as I unfortunately have a desperate need for beauty sleep. ;)

1. Certain systems "in the bubble" show you full detail in the system map after you arrive. These are the systems that in pre 3.3 days you either had the system data by default or could buy the exploration data from stations within 20Ly. (The buy exploration data icon is still there but I have never seen it work since 3.3 release.) There are some systems that still by default show system details without you visiting - however there are not many of them, most have the system view icon redded-out until you actually go there (don't ask me why, it seemed a very strange thing to do).

2. Some systems will show the bodies on entry on your sensor display but they will appear as "unexplored" to you - these are systems where the data has been sold by the discovering commander. I cannot remember now if these systems show "unexplored" bodies in the nav panel without a disco scanner "honk" - I think so but cannot be sure.

When out exploring you often come across type 2 above - it is worth disco scanning anyway then a quick check of the system map will show if any bodies have not been "discovered" if the bodies shown is less than the reported number of bodies by the honk - thus you can "tag" those.

Top Bottom