Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I love the Krait II thus far, but its central processing core cooling fans developed a serious whine after Sunday's rescue missions for the Modular Terminals I need to get to Marco; probably warped from all the heat. The exposure to the station's heat also voided the Faulcon warranty, so I had to source the parts and will be conducting the repair myself. Fortunately, the rescue ship had the factory parts on hand; I was really dreading having to fly in this condition if they didn't. I had to wait a couple of days for the third-party sale to process, though, so I've been doing what I can for the poor souls from the station in the mean time. (Volunteers' extended dock fees are waived). The fans were delivered to my berth this morning, and I'll be attempting the repair this evening. My DBX never needed any such repairs, so this'll be my first attempt at a DIY. Space Google tutorials have been easy to come by, and it looks simple enough, but still...fingers crossed.
My laptops CPU fan started squealing horribly on Sunday. Unlike in the narrative, I continued playing knowing that I need not be too concerned until it stops making noise! Still, I have left it off since. I ordered the factory replacement fan (and the GPU fan on account) yesterday, and they arrived today. I'll be changing them after work, in about two hours. I've done PC and some laptop work before, but never on my current laptop, an MSI MS-16K2, and I've never had to mess with a motherboard in a laptop, so I hope I don't screw it up!

And anyway, all that talk about full PD builds made me want to rewatch the Iron Sky. :LOL:

I rarely, if ever meet anyone in day-to-day life that has ever heard of Iron Sky. And yet there are two people in this thread alone that have referred to it already :) I would imagine the concentration of Iron Sky cognoscenti in the Elite fora is quite high :D

Great film - I've yet to watch the sequel, even though I've a free download of it on account of sending them a few quid to make it. I'm not sure it will live up to the original!

There I was, peacefully mining, watching my drones go to work:

I failed to notice a pirate who scanned me, demanded goods, then hit me with a hatchbreaker limpet and then proceeded to blow me up.4.9m CR later, I have a new Krait 2. Ouch.

I got learnt another lesson.

Yeah, I had my Krait blown up not long after I bought it, through sheer stupidity on my part by imagining I could fly it and take on a wing of three pirates...

When I went mining in it, I tooled up good and proper, and dispatched one pirate with extreme prejudice, and the other one bug^H^H^H ran away very rapidly after that. Oddly, it was still telling me that "Just give us some cargo and this can all stop", which I thought was rather optimistic of it :D

I rarely, if ever meet anyone in day-to-day life that has ever heard of Iron Sky. And yet there are two people in this thread alone that have referred to it already :) I would imagine the concentration of Iron Sky cognoscenti in the Elite fora is quite high :D

Great film - I've yet to watch the sequel, even though I've a free download of it on account of sending them a few quid to make it. I'm not sure it will live up to the original!
I haven't seen the sequel either. I kind of fear to do it, because people say it's not as good as the first one and I bloody adore the first one. :)

I haven't seen the sequel either. I kind of fear to do it, because people say it's not as good as the first one and I bloody adore the first one. :)

The first one is a masterpiece :) I have the Director's Cut in a special tin-box thing, it gets a regular outing! I thought the President who looked uncannily like Sarah Palin was marvellous, and the parody of the "Downfall" scene in the bunker was priceless.

The first one is a masterpiece :) I have the Director's Cut in a special tin-box thing, it gets a regular outing! I thought the President who looked uncannily like Sarah Palin was marvellous, and the parody of the "Downfall" scene in the bunker was priceless.
Yes, exactly. But to be honest, the film is packed from start to finish. Every scene is a masterpiece in its own right. So many great ideas, jabs and parody gold. From "Sarah Palin" being thrilled that she's a wartime president, now and therefore will be reelected (Every USA president save three was a "wartime president"), Finland not arming their spaceship, Albinizers and dealbinizers,... there isn't a dull moment in the whole thing and the ending would deserve an Oscar on its own.

Double Painite hotspots. (y)

90minutes and 400 million Credits later, even the refinery is "almost" filled lol

Well I'm back in the bubble after the Sag A - Colonia triangular star trek. Cashed in the data - pleasantly surprised to find $100M in exploration data just for FSSing some of the systems I stopped to scoop at. It's not quite the half a billion I got for the journey to the centre where I racked up half a billion at Jaques, but I did FSS and planet probe every system until I got impatient and cracked on full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes at Norma's Arm. Not quite a billionaire yet but damn close.

Finding the grind from Tycoon to trade elite slow going. Seems to be 1% each $5M, so my impatient alter ego ripped out the shields, MRPs and SRV hangar and in went extra cargo racks - I'm determined to get to double Elite the traditional way without short cutting by mining a single void opal - and suddenly I'm making 3-4M$ on a single ten minute transport mission, having clawed my way towards Elite a further 5% by the time I called it a night.

Of course, taking Elite missions in a shieldless ship is asking for trouble so wish me luck!

Mining has hidden dangers it seems...

I was keeping a wary eye out for potential pirates while my drones built up the reserves I'd previously lost. I heard chatter the Feds were blasting some pirate (good riddance!) and they blew 'em near me. Unbeknownst to me, those silly collector limpets picked up some dropped cargo from the perp.

Fed ship scans me, tells me he's given my a 6K ticket for carrying illegal goods.

"But, Officer, it wasn't my fault!" I bleated into uncaring ears.

So, being what I thought was a good citizen, I jettisoned said cargo - and the cop slaps a 150CR fine on each jettisoned cannister! To further the outrage, my limpets collected them again, the Fed opens fire and I have to high-tailed it out of there. Of course, I hit the station carrying illegal salvage and yep, you guessed it, I got a "scan detected".

I need a rest.

:ROFLMAO:

Mining has hidden dangers it seems...

I was keeping a wary eye out for potential pirates while my drones built up the reserves I'd previously lost. I heard chatter the Feds were blasting some pirate (good riddance!) and they blew 'em near me. Unbeknownst to me, those silly collector limpets picked up some dropped cargo from the perp.

Fed ship scans me, tells me he's given my a 6K ticket for carrying illegal goods.

"But, Officer, it wasn't my fault!" I bleated into uncaring ears.

So, being what I thought was a good citizen, I jettisoned said cargo - and the cop slaps a 150CR fine on each jettisoned cannister! To further the outrage, my limpets collected them again, the Fed opens fire and I have to high-tailed it out of there. Of course, I hit the station carrying illegal salvage and yep, you guessed it, I got a "scan detected".

I need a rest.

You need to use the other Jettison button then your limpets will find something else to do.

I was filling in the time after arriving in the ring until the pirates had left setting up something in the map, when I came back to the cockpit I found some kind soul had dropped a lot of proximity mines, not something I had seen before when mining fortunately they where behind me.

Next time, I won't be trying to take touristy photo's, I'll get a PD and watch the radar.

The K2 is quick enough to evade and wake as long as I pip engines and not leave all pips on weapons during lengthy LCBM* consta beams.

*Lasery chunk-blasting mining
When I am Vopal gathering, I try and avoid the starting pirate. He is bound to catch up to me when I have ploded a roid, and I hide inside the debris with SR on. Its so cold you are totally invisible and wont overheat. Much more fun than waiting for the scan.

When I am Vopal gathering, I try and avoid the starting pirate. He is bound to catch up to me when I have ploded a roid, and I hide inside the debris with SR on. Its so cold you are totally invisible and wont overheat. Much more fun than waiting for the scan.
Ooh! Never thought of that. (y)

I need a rest.

That's awesome -- a true Elite Dangerous story of fun and adventure! :p

I was in a RES once and I had limpets out to get some mats. One of them picked up some nearby cargo without me noticing right away. So there I was with illegal cargo flying about happily until one of the cops scanned me. I escaped from that one by sheer luck, but since then I've always been extra careful to check what's in my hold after the limpets return, if there's anything floating nearby other than mats!

When I jettison I use the Abandon button because I think that it removes my ownership from the cargo, and also tells my limpets not to pick it back up. Seems to work, or have I just been lucky? :)

Still on my 5000LY trek. I spent the last couple of days gathering some raw mats at some geological sites, and then carried on with my trip scanning systems as I go. I found my first ELW and LaGrange clouds yesterday. Unfortunately I forgot to put a Composition Scanner on my ship, so I can't scan anything at the site. Next trip I will make sure to have one of those.

Top Bottom