Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

So, I decided to take Lori Jameson up on her offer to come over for a visit. She contacted me about a month ago or so when I was out in Colonia. I guess she heard about my wicked combat skillz. I'm now rated Dangerous, so, you know, um...fear me! Yeah!

When I got there, she did in fact remember me. A little.

But I brought her a bunch of ale, and we spent quite a bit of time talking and walking along the paths inside her lovely arboreal dome:

I guess she had a good time with me, because the next time I visited, her response was a bit more welcoming!

I wonder if it was my people skills, or the fact that I brought her a bunch of work? :p

Last edited:
So, I decided to take Lori Jameson up on her offer to come over for a visit. She contacted me about a month ago or so when I was out in Colonia. I guess she heard about my wicked combat skillz. I'm now rated Dangerous, so, you know, um...fear me! Yeah!

When I got there, she did in fact remember me. A little.

View attachment 136508

But I brought her a bunch of ale, and we spent quite a bit of time talking and walking along the paths inside her lovely arboreal dome:

View attachment 136509

I guess she had a good time with me, because the next time I visited, her response was a bit more welcoming!

View attachment 136510

I wonder if it was my people skills, or the fact that I brought her a bunch of work? :p
Her bio domes are kinda awesome, aren't they?
I'm still only a Master after my last clear save, because I spent a half a year on the other side of the galaxy, but I miss that place. :)

At least :) aim for 8+ active and laser mining actually becomes dynamic as you race between rocks before they all did :)

Hint: larger controllers - more limpets
It really depends on what you're doing. 8 collectors are ideal for laser mining in a big ship so it reduces waiting time between asteroids.
For deep core mining, though, I'm happy with just 2. Firstly I'm in a smaller ship and bigger collector controller would be a waste of space and secondly two are enough to pick the stuff that flies off while I'm scraping the insides with the blaster. :)

I'd be interested to hear from other miners, though - how many limpets do you take with you?
I mean, I hate wasting limpets so the ideal scenario is that you fill in the last bit of the cargo space with the last limpet active.

For me it's around 30-40% of cargo space? In my 160t Krait I'm usually bringing 50 limpets. Sometimes I have to throw some away, sometimes I have to scoop the last couple tonnes myself. What about you guys?

Last edited:
I think I'm going to change the experimental on my Phantom's FSD from deep charge to mass manager. Unsure of the benefits though.
Edit: This is without the benefit of looking at the maths, it is a long time since I struggled though O level maths.

Effectively Deep charge gets more range from your FSD by burning more fuel this extra fuel consumption increases with the size of the FSD and on larger units really hurts how far you can go without refuelling, Mass Manager does clever physicy things to increase jump range this doesn’t work as well in small FSDs but in larger units gives better jump range than just burning more fuel with the added benefit that number of jumps before refuelling isn’t reduced.

The transition is at size 5 below that Deep Charge gives longer jumps above Mass Manager does, at size 5 there is a fraction of a light year between them with Deep Charge just ahead but I generally pick Mass Manager to save fuel.

Edit: This is without the benefit of looking at the maths, it is a long time since I struggled though O level maths.

Effectively Deep charge gets more range from your FSD by burning more fuel this extra fuel consumption increases with the size of the FSD and on larger units really hurts how far you can go without refuelling, Mass Manager does clever physicy things to increase jump range this doesn’t work as well in small FSDs but in larger units gives better jump range than just burning more fuel with the added benefit that number of jumps before refuelling isn’t reduced.

The transition is at size 5 below that Deep Charge gives longer jumps above Mass Manager does, at size 5 there is a fraction of a light year between them with Deep Charge just ahead but I generally pick Mass Manager to save fuel.
Yes. Never put deep charge on a DBX with an undersize fuel tank.

Or the fuel rats will put you on their kill list. :LOL:

Right, MM incoming for my Phantom then. I may also make my Conda a Jumpaconda with that knowledge and make it an explorer boat. It's getting dusty and those fully engineered guns need an oil bath.

("Thank the maker! This oil bath is going to feel sooo good. I've got such a bad case of dust contamination, I can barely move!").

Getting much better with these gauss cannon now, more hits than misses.
Still getting beat up by the big boy bugs.

Swapped the FAS for a Conda build for an hour.
4 x fixed shard,
Everything else heavily engineered frags.
It's not subtle, probably great in a wing.

Ah well, back to the FAS. :D(y)

Edit: Also tried the Conda on some pirates... :ROFLMAO:

Getting much better with these gauss cannon now, more hits than misses.
Still getting beat up by the big boy bugs.

Swapped the FAS for a Conda build for an hour.
4 x fixed shard,
Everything else heavily engineered frags.
It's not subtle, probably great in a wing.

Ah well, back to the FAS. :D(y)

Edit: Also tried the Conda on some pirates... :ROFLMAO:
Have you tried the Gunship?
Personal favourite among the Fed ships. Basically an Anaconda in a FAS-sized package.
It's a bit slower (still capable of over 400m/s with the right engineering) and more sluggish, but you can get the hull strength and module protection higher than a FAS, which I think is crucial for an anti-goid ship. :)

Top Bottom