Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Chaps, could you take a look at my mining ship, please? I'd be really interested in opinions!

I'm pretty sure I can't tweak it any further without making compromises and a couple of points:

• 256t is a pretty paltry cargo size for this ship but I'd rarely have time to collect any more than that
  • Yes, a lot of A-rated modules when D's would improve range but, so far, she can escape interdictions just about OK

Short linky
Long linky

Many thanks!

Chaps, could you take a look at my mining ship, please? I'd be really interested in opinions!

I'm pretty sure I can't tweak it any further without making compromises and a couple of points:

• 256t is a pretty paltry cargo size for this ship but I'd rarely have time to collect any more than that
  • Yes, a lot of A-rated modules when D's would improve range but, so far, she can escape interdictions just about OK

Short linky
Long linky

Many thanks!
Personally I don’t use the docking computer. That means I have the prospector limpets in the class 3 slot and can deploy two at a time, and gives room for a third 5A collector limpet controller, which I find is a lot faster out in the field. I also don’t bother with the fuel scoop when mining so I can haul 512T. But other than that we’re looking the same.

(And like you I have A rates my modules. Armaments-wise I have two 2D mining lasers and then just beams and multis. Restricts me to surface mining but that works for me and means that I can fight if I need to. I also have a fighter hangar and have the fighter deployed while mining.)

o7

If anyone was following my quest for Nyogel 767a a few pages ago, you’ll have seen that I ordered some, and that it turned up in time for some weekend lubing.

I have just finished doing it, thanks to a concise and comprehensive guide on what to do to apply it effectively here.

The only observation I would add to the process notes above is that the stuff is like particularly viscous and sticky honey, so it does not come out of it’s tube easily at all :)

I have only done the throttle at the moment, as that was relatively easy to take apart safely. The difference it makes is truly, utterly, flabergasting. It is no longer a jerky movement in places, or too loose, or anything in fact other than perfectly smooth, measured, and will stay where you pushed it to. It really does make the throttle seem like a far more expensive item of kit, and I would heartily recommend the Nyogel adventure to anyone.

I am about to go and poke the nose of my Clipper into the vicinity of a couple of black holes, so throttle control will be most welcomed for a smooth ride :)

Short linky
Long linky

Many thanks!

Ok, a few thoughts:
  • you don't need an overcharged power plant, your power consumption is below 80% with everything active. Armoured will work as well, and run cooler.
  • those 8 tons you save from stripping the distributor really don't make a difference at 1600 tons ship mass. Super Conduits will serve you better.
  • likewise, a biweave shield generator will have 2.5 times the shield recharge rate
  • fuel scoop on a miner? I can see some use for it, but on the other hand, is it really worth it to drag your haul for more than 200 ly when every jump carries the risk of an interdiction?
  • do the little jaunt out to the Guardian sites and get the Guardian shield boosters. Then you'll at least have something you can put in those restricted military slots. Otherwise, dump a hull and a module reinforcement in there. Just in case.
  • get some engineering for those shield boosters, and balance the resistances. Easier if you go for thermal resistance as mod for the shield generator, but that of course deprives you of the mass savings from the low power enhaced.

With all those changes, you may (likely) overburden an armoured power plant. On the other hand, you can safely priorize down the fuel scoop and the Guardian FSD booster, so it should (haven't checked) balance again.

Thanks Ashnak!

The fuel scoop was because it's invariably about 7-10 jumps from the LTD3 hotspot to a station with a decent price.

Never even thought about Guardian stuff other than the FSD booster so I"ll look into that!

Cheers again 07

Last edited:
If anyone was following my quest for Nyogel 767a a few pages ago, you’ll have seen that I ordered some, and that it turned up in time for some weekend lubing.

I have just finished doing it, thanks to a concise and comprehensive guide on what to do to apply it effectively here.

The only observation I would add to the process notes above is that the stuff is like particularly viscous and sticky honey, so it does not come out of it’s tube easily at all :)

I have only done the throttle at the moment, as that was relatively easy to take apart safely. The difference it makes is truly, utterly, flabergasting. It is no longer a jerky movement in places, or too loose, or anything in fact other than perfectly smooth, measured, and will stay where you pushed it to. It really does make the throttle seem like a far more expensive item of kit, and I would heartily recommend the Nyogel adventure to anyone.

I am about to go and poke the nose of my Clipper into the vicinity of a couple of black holes, so throttle control will be most welcomed for a smooth ride :)

Yes, I absolutely also vouch for Nyogel, it worked the same for my Thrustmaster throttle and makes a LOT of difference.

Yes, I absolutely also vouch for Nyogel, it worked the same for my Thrustmaster throttle and makes a LOT of difference.

I seem to recall you made a few posts about it, and I went looking for them, but to no avail! The search facility on the forum is very sketchy though. It didn’t even mention your thread when I looked for all posts by you :D

It really does feel like flying something with real precision now. My approach to the asteroid base of Gorgon Research Facility was super smooth and felt elegant. As it should when flying one of the Empire’s finest ships :)

do the little jaunt out to the Guardian sites and get the Guardian shield boosters. Then you'll at least have something you can put in those restricted military slots. Otherwise, dump a hull and a module reinforcement in there. Just in case.
Wait, what? I've never looked into the guardian shield boosters because I imagined them as regular shield boosters, just a little bit better and I didn't think it would be worth the time. They are an actual module? And you can put them into military compartments? Well, I guess that changes my plans for next couple of days. Suddenly they sound like a great thing to have! :D

Short linky
Long linky

Many thanks!
I'd chuck out the the ADC and stick a 3A FS in it's place, but i've never flown one, and i don't know how it handles, so i'm probably not the best person to ask.
Looks pretty hard-core to me.:)

Wait, what? I've never looked into the guardian shield boosters because I imagined them as regular shield boosters, just a little bit better and I didn't think it would be worth the time. They are an actual module? And you can put them into military compartments? Well, I guess that changes my plans for next couple of days. Suddenly they sound like a great thing to have! :D

Me too - never twigged to that either - so off we go zapping sentinels again - hey ho!

(It will make a change from filling up the squadron FC with Tritium and LTDs I suppose. ;) )

I've finished up for the day by arriving at Gorgon Research Facility out in the "Have A Drink" nebula, NGC 7822.

I've really thoroughly enjoyed flying my Clipper around as an explorer. The view from the cockpit is very good, and the feel of the cockpit it nothing short of luxurious. She really makes a compelling case for this ship as a comfortable exploration vessel. I haven't even engineered her to the max, either, I just wanted to get out of the way of the bubble as rapidly as I could, so all the fine tuning lightweight mods are pretty much not done as yet; but she still makes 51ly max jump.

And if I do say so myself, I think she looks absolutely gorgeous :)

Take Off.jpg

Raw Materials Collection Time.jpg

NGC 7822 ahoy.jpg

Gorgon Research Berth.jpg

Gorgeous Clipper there!

And Tyres, just for comparison, here's the ship I mined most of my billions in. As you can see, it has only 256 cargo space (cuz I get bored after that anyway), and it has a fuel scoop. And it's armed to the teeth. I blow up every pirate I see in it, because that's more fun to me :)

And it does have a Guardian Shield Reinforcement in the military slot, because that's what should be there :)

But I've never been one to worry too much about 'top efficiency' when mining. Or anything, really. I still made plenty of credits.

Lately I tried stripping off some of the weapons to carry a subsurface displacement missile, seismic charge, and abrasion blaster.

I did this mostly for the variety of it, and to see how the changes to subsurface mining were.

It's kinda fun and diverting to mess with the subsurface stuff, but it's also kind of a pain.

In the end I'll probably leave those off and stick to laser mining. It has a nice flow to it that I enjoy.

Me too - never twigged to that either - so off we go zapping sentinels again - hey ho!

(It will make a change from filling up the squadron FC with Tritium and LTDs I suppose. ;) )

My pleasure, Gentlemen. After you've unlocked them, you'll find them (in the stations that carry them) in the "Hull Reinforcements" section.

My pleasure, Gentlemen. After you've unlocked them, you'll find them (in the stations that carry them) in the "Hull Reinforcements" section.

Thanks for that tip. I habitually load the military slots with Guardian HRP and MRP modules for my AX builds. I haven't unlocked the shield boosters as I hadn't even registered their existence, so I now have a reason to resume play.

(y)

Short linky
Long linky

Many thanks!
There is no way in the nine hells (forgive the expression) that six collector limpets will keep up with four mining lasers. Also for sub-surface you will want more collectors. If you want to build for jump range and travelling ”manually” to your sell location with some medium sized cargo (not utilising the 512 cargo potential of the Cutter), then I would suggest an Anaconda instead - perhaps starting from the range build I posted in the subsurface build threads and adding laser mining equipment. No large ship is going to really excel at core mining as they are too ... well ... large ...

Top Bottom