Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

The intrepid explorer heads out into undiscovered territory once again! :p

Screenshot_0663.jpg

Yeah, that seems to happen a lot in America. If only people built their infrastructure while taking the local climate into account. No offence.

Have you established a home base after leaving the kiddy pool? I found myself in some weird fringe type areas of independent space when I left. It was fun but I recommend finding a system with major factions so you can build up your rep and get better missions. It probably took me close to a month before I thought about doing that.

Not yet. Last time I was signed in, I attempted mining in the area you're sent to upon leaving the starter area. was gonna sign in yesterday, then my internet cut out. From what the cable company is saying, it looks like this outage is affecting large parts of 3 different states... And some of the problems can't be dealt with till the electric company fixes their downed power lines.

Not yet. Last time I was signed in, I attempted mining in the area you're sent to upon leaving the starter area. was gonna sign in yesterday, then my internet cut out. From what the cable company is saying, it looks like this outage is affecting large parts of 3 different states... And some of the problems can't be dealt with till the electric company fixes their downed power lines.
Well that sucks. Sometimes a power cut is good though since it helps you reconnect with humanity and the universe etc. and all that stuff.

Plus they taught me to buy a wind-up radio because I hate the dark silence.

....... I attempted mining in the area you're sent to upon leaving the starter area. ..

Just a bit of useless info - the 100,000Cr bribe to "explore the galaxy" (a.k.a. the suck-the-noobs-from-the-paddling-pool) mission is not always to the same place. The destination changes every time you load the board. Presumably so that people need not fear that the destination system will be over-run with seal-clubbers waiting for prey emerging from the zone. ;)

Right, well, I've come to the final conclusion that the RNG has a "<hate Tyres>=1</hate Tyres>" parameter in its code somewhere.

CMDR Para Handy has (as always) been very helpful but it seems core miing just doesn't like me. I've just spend over an hour in a VO hotspot and found zero cores. I don't know how many bright yellow glowy shiny 'roids I've prospected.

I then move away from that mineral to a place supposedly with grandaderite. I jumped in, hit the pulse wave and there, right in front of me was a core 'roid! \o/

Of LTD's.

:ROFLMAO:

Sorry, Para - I hope I haven't jinxed your panning spot!

Right, well, I've come to the final conclusion that the RNG has a "<hate Tyres>=1</hate Tyres>" parameter in its code somewhere.

CMDR Para Handy has (as always) been very helpful but it seems core miing just doesn't like me. I've just spend over an hour in a VO hotspot and found zero cores. I don't know how many bright yellow glowy shiny 'roids I've prospected.

I then move away from that mineral to a place supposedly with grandaderite. I jumped in, hit the pulse wave and there, right in front of me was a core 'roid! \o/

Of LTD's.

:ROFLMAO:

Sorry, Para - I hope I haven't jinxed your panning spot!

LOL - we shall see...

The main thing is not the brightness it is the shape. Even the most brilliant yellow rock is useless unless it is shaped like popcorn. I have "popped" cores in not awfully bright rocks, just that they were popcornish so I prospected them. See this where I go past the really bright one and head for the popcorn-one which turns out has VO core:

(14:15ish)

I decided to waste some Arx to fit a full set to see if they actually did anything to justify being as expensive as the animated ones. Turns out they do bu@@er-all, no movement and, unless there is a magic watering can I have not found, they don't grow either.

P.S. Popcorn:

View attachment 183712
I didn't even know we had these. I haven't checked the bobblehead section for ages. I may order some, actually. :D

I decided to waste some Arx to fit a full set to see if they actually did anything to justify being as expensive as the animated ones. Turns out they do bu@@er-all, no movement and, unless there is a magic watering can I have not found, they don't grow either.
Perhaps they reduce the power used by your life support, at least while the plants are in sunlight in the dark of course they will release CO2.

Just a bit of useless info - the 100,000Cr bribe to "explore the galaxy" (a.k.a. the suck-the-noobs-from-the-paddling-pool) mission is not always to the same place. The destination changes every time you load the board. Presumably so that people need not fear that the destination system will be over-run with seal-clubbers waiting for prey emerging from the zone. ;)

I didn't take that mission until I literally wasn't being offered anything else due to raising my rank as a trader.

Roughly, where are you now? Another great photo, by the way!
I'm still out a bit past Colonia, in my ever increasing bubble of discovered stuffs.

By the way, regarding Core mining, it is true that all the core asteroids have the same model, but that model is different in Icy rings vs other rings. So if you're in a Rocky ring the shape is different, same with Metal-rich. They do have cores in them, though. Even Metallic rings have the occasional core.

Over time I've become fairly decent at seeing them from afar. It helps to be a bit above or below the ring so you can see farther. I put the Pulse Wave Analyzer on repeat (hold down the button or use a toggle) and let it pulse away as I turn slowly back and forth, moving toward the planet or other landmark so I don't repeat the same area.

There's a certain grid-like look that Core asteroids have when pulsed repeatedly. It's not just about bright yellow, although Core asteroids will be very, very bright. But they also go through green and even red/black phases while pulsing.

Ambient light also makes them look different ways.

I've done a LOT of Core mining though. For a long while it was the only kind of mining I did, so I got a lot of practice.

Even so, I'm still not right 100% of the time. So don't feel too bad. It takes a lot of time.

Last edited:
I'm still out a bit past Colonia, in my ever increasing bubble of discovered stuffs.

By the way, regarding Core mining, it is true that all the core asteroids have the same model, but that model is different in Icy rings vs other rings. So if you're in a Rocky ring the shape is different, same with Metal-rich. They do have cores in them, though. Even Metallic rings have the occasional core.

Over time I've become fairly decent at seeing them from afar. It helps to be a bit above or below the ring so you can see farther. I put the Pulse Wave Analyzer on repeat (hold down the button or use a toggle) and let it pulse away as I turn slowly back and forth, moving toward the planet or other landmark so I don't repeat the same area.

There's a certain grid-like look that Core asteroids have when pulsed repeatedly. It's not just about bright yellow, although Core asteroids will be very, very bright. But they also go through green and even red/black phases while pulsing.

Ambient light also makes them look different ways.

I've done a LOT of Core mining though. For a long while it was the only kind of mining I did, so I got a lot of practice.

Even so, I'm still not right 100% of the time. So don't feel too bad. It takes a lot of time.

They look particularly distinctive on my setup when I am sat in the ice dust after exploding and mining out a core, I start the Pulse Wave going and any adjacent cores glow extremely oddly.

Top Bottom