Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Elite Dangerous message.png

I'm technichally allergic to cats according to the little asthma jabs they give you but I had one for nearly ten years before he ran off and went to live with someone else.

Oh, I'm most definitely allergic to cat fur. Fortunately a single dose of antihistamine will do me for several days for reasons I don't understand. Whenever I visit my dad I have to take anti-allergy medicine every few days or my eyes water and I am constantly sneezing.

I can also always tell if someone near me is wearing perfume or cologne since that means I can't breath. Fortunately I don't go into anaphylactic shock, unlike my sister. She can't go into department stores like JC Penny due to the people who spritz customers with perfume. That could potentially kill her.

Question if I may...

Does your mining vessel have a fuel scoop?

I could double my hold capacity to 512 if I ditched mine but, as I'm using a Cutter, the amount of jumps I can make is limited before refuel time. Add to this markets to sell goodies at are usually 6-8 jumps away

A conundrum.

Question if I may...

I could double my hold capacity to 512 if I ditched mine but, as I'm using a Cutter, the amount of jumps I can make is limited before refuel time. Add to this markets to sell goodies at are usually 6-8 jumps away

A conundrum.
I just put on a small scoop. Something like 3A. Yes, I'm scooping for three or four minutes, but it's still faster than trying to find a station to refuel.

Question if I may...

A conundrum.
No.

But then again, my last minnig vessel was a DBX.

Granted, I've yet to go far enough from a dock or station that running out of fuel is a real danger. And I'm very hesitent to spend too much time near a star scooping fuel due to the heat buildup. But I just don't see a good reason to not have a fuel scoop as a backup.

Since I'm using low tier scoops at the moment (due to the better ones costing a million credits or more), it gets up near 80% long before I've scooped enough fuel to even top off the current thruster fuel tank, let alone fill the main tank.

I have an account stationed in there. I occasionally watch out for people trying to prey on the new people but so far I have only ever seen one idiot that was trying the ram while docking gank - I just shepherded them away using a cobra filled with HRPs - it was fun. Every time I go to sniff at suspiciously-equipped ships hovering just outside the NFZ they seem to suddenly lose connection or finally work out how to engage a H-jump. Not that I'd be any good PvPing - I am rubbish at combat - but it is just a mucking-about account that I keep clear-saving anyway.

Since I'm using low tier scoops at the moment (due to the better ones costing a million credits or more), it gets up near 80% long before I've scooped enough fuel to even top off the current thruster fuel tank, let alone fill the main tank.
That's alright (ish). As long as the screen's not flashing red, there aren't too many sparks flying, and Verity isn't screaming at me, I know my little Cobra has a good temperature.

I have an account stationed in there. I occasionally watch out for people trying to prey on the new people but so far I have only ever seen one idiot that was trying the ram while docking gank - I just shepherded them away using a cobra filled with HRPs - it was fun. Every time I go to sniff at suspiciously-equipped ships hovering just outside the NFZ they seem to suddenly lose connection or finally work out how to engage a H-jump. Not that I'd be any good PvPing - I am rubbish at combat - but it is just a mucking-about account that I keep clear-saving anyway.
Aaaaah, thank you, Para. That might be the first time I've posited a conspiracy theory which actually came true.

At such a quick speed at least. I reckon half of my conspiracy theories are true at worst.

Time to invest in some air conditioning, perhaps?
Small portable ones are quite affordable (although they're the equivalent of leaving your kettle permanently on, so they consume their worth in electricity every year). You can buy a window accessory to vent the hot air, so you don't have to drill holes into your walls and they are altogether a good investment, I'd say. Considering we can expect more summers like this in the future...

I have problems with my thyroid which means I have real issues with the heat. Some years ago I bought a Dalek - one of those portable proper refrigerant-type air conditioners. It only gets wheeled-out a few times every year but without it I'd be completely washed-out once the temp gets over 25°. I finally gave in and hooked-it-up to my "Heath Robinson" window adapter yesterday.

Now if I moved back North I'd never switch it on (it doesn't have a heating function).

Last edited:
I have problems with my thyroid which means I have real issues with the heat. Some years ago I bought a Dalek - one of those portable proper refrigerant-type air conditioners. It only gets wheeled-out a few times every year but without it I'd be completely washed-out once the temp gets over 25°. I finally gave in and hooked-it-up to my "Heath Robinson" window adapter yesterday.

Now if I moved back North I'd never switch it on (it doesn't have a heating function).
Yeah, I've got one of those smaller ones as well in my PC room. I've had it for three years now and I can't imagine living without it. Last summer it was running for two months non-stop. This year I only turned it on last week, but still. It's invaluable, even if it's just one room in the house, being able to escape from the heat is great. I moved my futon here as well, and I've been sleeping here for a couple nights.
I am kind of allergic to heat. Or my own sweat. Or something like that. If I'm sweating for longer periods of time (and I'm usually sweating in anything above 25 degrees), I get kind of a rash all over my arms and neck. It's weird and one more reason to hate the heat and love my little AC. :)

I've had to use a space heater, but I've never needed a portable air conditioner. That said, I've considered at times getting a dehumidifier. I prefer a nice dry 80 degrees after all. Key word being 'dry'. The phrase "it's not the heat, it's the humidity" is very much a thing for me.

Top Bottom