What did you do in Planet Zoo today?

@captaincallum that looks absolutely incredible!! So lifelike and so much detail.

I'm going to feel your pain, I have to add 1 billion timber beams to this ceiling 🥲
Screenshot 2024-06-10 015048.png

Screenshot 2024-06-10 015122.png
Screenshot 2024-06-10 015201.png
Screenshot 2024-06-10 015100.png

Since the save file was corrupted and I lost the entire zoo, I’ve started a new tropical biome zoo for animals found in Africa, Asia, and Central/South America. This started out as a Sun Bear habitat but I loved how it turned out too much for just 2 animals, so I added a bunch of climbing and brachiation items and turned it into a Chimpanzee habitat instead. Just big enough for 11 chimps, which keeps 1-2 individuals in every visible space at all times, which makes the guests very happy. The chimps might be my new favorite animal to design for. I had a blast making this. I’ll be adding habitats for all primates and great apes in this area so elevated walkways will likely be added later.
IMG_2204.jpeg
IMG_2206.jpeg
IMG_2202.jpeg
IMG_2205.jpeg
IMG_2201.jpeg
IMG_2203.jpeg

Not necessarily a what I did today, but what I have done over the last few days.

For the last few weeks I have been taking part in the Zoolympic Games (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-zoolympic-games.625827/) which is fun ( most of the time rofl )

The first zoo I used was an established zoo for my GHI animals and was hoping I could create a special habitat there for the games and my expansion upgrade of the zoo, it soon had problems and by the time the second challenge appeared I had decided to go with a special zoo just for the games.
It worked well, I was making money... then I started work on the new addition and by the time I was finished things started going bad .. habitat too big ? staff too slow ? animals too picky ? All of the above I would say. So, in preparation for the third challenge, I started another zoo which I just added my last animal for.

End result .. attached.
Whilst not the exact setups I did for the individual challenges when they occurred, I did attempt to keep to the same idea.

Challenge 1 : Gharial Riverview
Original : An exhibit house with external views to a river habitat which had a transport ride through it (Monorail )
2nd version : Same as original but with stalls for food, drink and merchandise.
This version: Restaurant inside/alongside an exhibit building containing stalls for information and external views onto the river

Challenge 2 : Grumeti River Safari
Original : A vast African Savannah containing 5 species with 4 transport rides through various parts of it ( Boat, Jeep, Monorail and Gondola )
This version: Smaller Savannah area for the same species with 1 boat transport around the main island with view access from the restaurant in Challenge 1

Attachments

• Zoolympics Zoo 2.jpg
    Zoolympics Zoo 2.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 21
Since the save file was corrupted and I lost the entire zoo, I’ve started a new tropical biome zoo for animals found in Africa, Asia, and Central/South America. This started out as a Sun Bear habitat but I loved how it turned out too much for just 2 animals, so I added a bunch of climbing and brachiation items and turned it into a Chimpanzee habitat instead. Just big enough for 11 chimps, which keeps 1-2 individuals in every visible space at all times, which makes the guests very happy. The chimps might be my new favorite animal to design for. I had a blast making this. I’ll be adding habitats for all primates and great apes in this area so elevated walkways will likely be added later. View attachment 395147View attachment 395148View attachment 395149View attachment 395150View attachment 395151View attachment 395152
So cute. They look like they are having fun haha

The first room in Taupō Zoo's kiwi house - and the first habitat in the Habitat Aotearoa section of the park - is (mostly) done. I'm probably still going to mess about with the foliage and maybe add some more signage - I might even tone done the lighting since I fear I went a tad overboard - but I've at least reached a sharable state now lol. This is only the first of two kiwi displays in the house, the other room will have a more traditional one with glass fronted viewing. This one was pretty inspired by Wellington's habitat, which also has more open viewing and funky disco lighting.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.06.17 - 16.52.44.42.png

Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.06.17 - 18.07.30.38.png

Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.06.17 - 18.10.13.04.png

Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.06.17 - 17.04.11.96.png

Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.06.17 - 17.04.30.39.png

I also made a sketchbook prop and put some more doodle signage on it! This time some more realistic studies taken from the in-game kiwi, as if they were actually drawn from observation by someone out in this faux version of the bush. I remember the Columbus Zoo doing similar signage for their okapi, which this was inspired by. I also did one of those little things where you can lift up something to reveal information, but I'm not too happy with how it looks, so I'll probably search the game's pieces for something less clunky later.
Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.06.17 - 17.04.52.29.png

Planet Zoo Screenshot 2024.06.17 - 17.05.23.57.png

Here's the art itself since the lighting doesn't show it accurately. I attempted to mimic vintage naturalist art that's become weathered and yellowed over time, at least as well as I could 😅:
PZ Kiwi Head Study.png

I also was really missing some of the ambience speaker audio that Frontier stopped adding officially after Aquatic, so I downloaded this video and put it into the in-game speakers:

Workshop items used here include the NZ Native Landscapers Pack by jonathanstiers, and this Custom Sign Kit by chr.frimer

Last edited:
Thats a pretty good idea! Works quite well for 2 plants I never even thought of pairing together.
Thanks. It was spurred on by my need for flowers in colors other than pinks and purples. Fingers are crossed for the conservation pack and South America pack being the next two DLCs for console cuz I need all those grasses and flowers.

Top Bottom