What do you expect from an aviary pack?

Sorry if im being a buzzkill, but things like "atleast 20 birds" are just setting yourself up fir dissapointment.
To compare, since the game launched 27 habitat animals have been added to the game, the highest amount at a time being 7.
Also a casual audience will propaply rather buy 8 birds for 10 bucks then 20 for lets say 20 bucks.
It would be a weird and unrealistic move from every perspective, and while i normaly like to support dreaming in these at times quite dry forums, but every dream should be atleast somewhat grounded.

Sorry if im being a buzzkill, but things like "atleast 20 birds" are just setting yourself up fir dissapointment.
To compare, since the game launched 27 habitat animals have been added to the game, the highest amount at a time being 7.
Also a casual audience will propaply rather buy 8 birds for 10 bucks then 20 for lets say 20 bucks.
It would be a weird and unrealistic move from every perspective, and while i normaly like to support dreaming in these at times quite dry forums, but every dream should be atleast somewhat grounded.
I have a feeling you're replying to my post in particular, so I'll give my two cents on the topic. Is expecting 20 birds for an aviary pack unrealistic? Yes. Very much so. But my list was more along the lines of what I think would be the ideal pack, not the most likely. I probably should've clarified that I only expect like 8 birds so that's on me. However, I highly doubt that people wouldn't want to buy a bird pack with 20 species, even if it's more expensive. Why do I think that? Because several people have stated just that, and with so many people asking for birds, there's almost no way even the general public would be satisfied with just 8.

That depends, actually. Most zoos have multiple species of macaw, for example, or lorikeets, or hornbills. I can see them going over 10 species, if there are only 4-5 rigs with a ton of reskins.

Dont worry it wasnt directed at you in particular, its just something you see quite often in the forums.
Also yes ofcourse i would buy a bird expansion for 20-30 bucks without hesitation, but i doubt that frontier will be looking at us when releasing birds.
As people allready have stated, this would be the best opportunity to still cash in on the casual market and i sure as hell doubt that they will risk that market with an increase in price.
But btw, your list is great, not neccessarly my most wanted but definetly something i would happily live with

That depends, actually. Most zoos have multiple species of macaw, for example, or lorikeets, or hornbills. I can see them going over 10 species, if there are only 4-5 rigs with a ton of reskins.
Okay thats also a possibility that i would be really happy with, for example i want atleast 2 macaws in the game, but thats most of the time not the sentiment when people talk about atleast 20 birds

Actually, I got a question now. How would YOU answer the questions you've given out, if you don't mind me asking. I'm curious about your thoughts on this.

Okay thats also a possibility that i would be really happy with, for example i want atleast 2 macaws in the game, but thats most of the time not the sentiment when people talk about atleast 20 birds
I know, but I think that would be a good compromise, because realistic aviary areas in zoos tend to have well over 20 species, so reskins could do the job. I think these groups are prime candudates for reskins:

1. Ibis
2. Macaw
3. Lorikeet
4. Finch/sparrows
5. Doves/pigeon
6. Ducks

Actually, I got a question now. How would YOU answer the questions you've given out, if you don't mind me asking. I'm curious about your thoughts on this.

Okay let's go:
What would make a good pack?
I think an aviary pack requires at least 8 species, but it would also require versatile building items.

I think it also needs to allow us to build mixed aviaries. For example, if we get one duck, one vulture, one parrot etc, we wouldn't be able to make a real "tropical aviary", "raptor aviary" and other common exhibits.

What features are required?
Aside from the obvious aviaries, I think eggs and nesting are a must this time around, because hatchlings can't go about the habitat the way other babies in the game do. I'd also expect walkthrough aviaries, and I'd love the ability to make regular habitats within aviaries, so we could put tropical exhibits inside, or mix, for example, the Okapi with turracos.

What species are essential to you?
Essential to me are: Macaw, Vulture, Crowned pigeon, Hornbill and any duck
Would you be okay with a specific theme (e.g. raptors pack)?
The reason I asked this is because I think a great way to go would be to start with a raptor pack, because you could have one from each continent, they are big and charismatic, and then get the other areas in other mixed packs. For example a future rainforest pack that gives us the Capybara, but also toucans and macaws.

Oh for the last question, no i dont want a specific pack now, as we need something more versatile.
I could easily mention enough owls alone for a pack, and while it would be a love to see all 5 in the game right now (snowyowl, eurasian eagle owl, spectacled owl, great grey owl and barn owl in order of most to "least" wanted) i dont want all of them at the same time.
For the start i belive we would be good for 1-2 per continent and group, with the most important groups being parrots, eagles and owls.
I believe that i and many others would be more then satisfied by something like:
  • snowyowl
  • eurasian eagle owl
  • bald/golden eagle
  • harpie eagle
  • macaw
  • rainbowlorikeet/cookatoo/grey parrot
  • bearded vulture/condor
  • kookabura/scarlet ibis/turaco

My personal and what i belive to be the ideal starting pack are the 10 birds i suggested in the metalist, but something like this would propaply work just as well, if not better for a casual audience with a lot of charismatic birds still being left open for futute dlc

Oh for the last question, no i dont want a specific pack now, as we need something more versatile.
I could easily mention enough owls alone for a pack, and while it would be a love to see all 5 in the game right now (snowyowl, eurasian eagle owl, spectacled owl, great grey owl and barn owl in order of most to "least" wanted) i dont want all of them at the same time.
For the start i belive we would be good for 1-2 per continent and group, with the most important groups being parrots, eagles and owls.
I believe that i and many others would be more then satisfied by something like:
  • snowyowl
  • eurasian eagle owl
  • bald/golden eagle
  • harpie eagle
  • macaw
  • rainbowlorikeet/cookatoo/grey parrot
  • bearded vulture/condor
  • kookabura/scarlet ibis/turaco

My personal and what i belive to be the ideal starting pack are the 10 birds i suggested in the metalist, but something like this would propaply work just as well, if not better for a casual audience with a lot of charismatic birds still being left open for futute dlc
I'd replace both owls with other species, and keep them for a nocturnal pack with bats.

Nah we need owls on release, also there are so many owls, its no problem to choose.
The neotropical spectacled owl for example would be great for a nocturnal house pack
If we'd get owls in release it really slims the chance of a nocturnal pack. For the same reason I was angry at the african pack having north african sceneryz as it really lowers the chances of getting proper saharan or arabian animals.

Honestly it only depends on how frontier will release aviary building. If as free, then smaller pack, if paid content then big 20$ dlc. Frontier often do that. They dont want to lock gameplay behind money, but if they do dlcs are bigger (look at PlanCo and JWE). They can pull off something bigger if they want.

Also there wont be more flying birds in future packs. It is pretty obvious. There are 4-5 dlcs at max left. After bird pack they will move to do something else. Yes i am aware that they are looking for more staff, but it can also mean they are preparing sequel for future. To be honest dreaming of 20 birds in one dlc is as much realistic as release of nocturnal or arboreal packs. Everyone can dream. Also i dont think so people would be satisfied when aviary birds will take spot of habitat animals in standard packs.

Lets play a bit around.

Maybe! They double size the animal pack, so we have 14 habitat and 2 Exhibit for double price.

Or, they put a normal pack together with a animal pack, so we have 11 habitat and 2 exhibit and the building pieces for double price.

So what birds could we see then?

1. Parrot
2. Owl
3. Eagle
4. Swan
5. Heron
6. Ibis/ Spoonbill
7. Duck/ Goose
8. Pelican
9. Toucan
10. Hornbill
11. Turaco

12. Kingfisher
13. Pigeon (maybe an other species, i run out of ideas)
14. Crow (maybe an other species, i run out of ideas)

I'm not shure about the aviary building set, i think its a thing for the update.

For me it is important to have the largest possible variety in the species. I don't want to have 2 owls, 2 eagles and 5 parrots. I prefer a representative of any kind, which one it then doesn't really matter to me.

I need to respectfully disagree with this, my good Konig friend. If we don't hold Frontier up to greater expectations, they'll feel comfortable not pushing the norm and that's exactly what we're hoping for them to do with the Aviary DLC. Not to mention, it'd be silly to limit themselves to 8 birds when your standard aviary usually has that amount for a single building.

Also there wont be more flying birds in future packs. It is pretty obvious. There are 4-5 dlcs at max left. After bird pack they will move to do something else.
None of this is something we know.

First of all we don't know how many packs we got left. We can speculate about it, but we don't know anything for sure.
When the South America DLC released, people went ''oh no, we won't get more SA species'', then the Aquatic pack happened featuring 2 SA species.
When the Aquatic DLC released, people went ''oh no, we won't get more Aquatic species'', then the Africa pack happened featuring 1 Aquatic species.

Also there wont be more flying birds in future packs. It is pretty obvious.
This point really interests me. There's quite a few non flying birds the could have added using the rigs they currently have like the rhea or emu with the ostrich rig, some smaller game birds like pheasants or ground dwelling pigeons with the peafowl rig, and some other larger birds like the shoebill, a heron or crane species or even the secretary bird with the flamingo rig. Really makes me wonder why they haven't. Also do the flamingos still fly across their habitat if it's large enough? I remember them doing that in the beta, not sure if it got axed like the tortoises swimming.

This point really interests me. There's quite a few non flying birds the could have added using the rigs they currently have like the rhea or emu with the ostrich rig, some smaller game birds like pheasants or ground dwelling pigeons with the peafowl rig, and some other larger birds like the shoebill, a heron or crane species or even the secretary bird with the flamingo rig. Really makes me wonder why they haven't. Also do the flamingos still fly across their habitat if it's large enough? I remember them doing that in the beta, not sure if it got axed like the tortoises swimming.

Not really. Most of the species you mentioned would require new rigs. When we talk reskins we mean animals which are practically identical except in coloration, like the different macaws.

Not really. Most of the species you mentioned would require new rigs. When we talk reskins we mean animals which are practically identical except in coloration, like the different macaws.
Not necessarily. They wouldn't need new rigs from scratch, they'd just have to manipulate current rigs to fit the anatomy of the new models. Shining example of this was the devs confirmed using the giant otter rig to make the binturong.

Top Bottom