What do you think of DLCs?

Honestly, I almost never buy DLCs, but my decision making is pretty simple.

If the DLC is worth to me more 2$ per 1 hour of gameplay (in the case of the arctic DLC, 5 hours) I consider it worth it.

I mean, in my country a movie ticket costs the equivalence of 8$, and that's usually only 2 hours.

The arctic DLC will give me much more hours of gameplay, so in my opinion it is worth it.

What makes a DLC worth it for you guys?

(and please let's keep it friendly)

If you like a game, the DLC is probably worth it just to extend your time with the game. It is actually a much better idea to wait two or three years before buying a game to get the discounted and complete Ultimate, Definite, Uber Edition. This is how I ended up 'buying DLCs' for almost all games I own without ever having actually bought a DLC pack. Planet Zoo and Cities Skylines are notable exceptions.

I buy DLC based on how much playtime I have in the original game and if I'm still interested in playing it. If I've played more than like 30 to 40 hours of a game, and I'm still interested in that game...I'll usually buy the DLC regardless of price because I feel I've gotten more than my money's worth out of the original purchase.

Planet Zoo, now at over 400 hours played for me....is going to be a "purchase all DLC" game at this point. I'm actually pretty disappointed with how few additional animals we're getting in the DLC, but they earned my money for it just from the original game.

DLC is worth buying for me, if
  • I enjoy the game and play it regularly
  • Adds more variety for my gameplay
  • Is not overpriced
The first two list items are a no-brainer. The last one is the tricky one. I like to think about the movie-comparison as well, although I don't like using movie tickets any more. It might be comparable from a pure "bang for buck" point of view, but why not compare it to other, even more expensive, entertainment possibilities, like a rock concert or whatever. I prefer to compare it more with something I use at home. That can be a rental movie, or a streaming service like Netflix. How many hours of entertainment do you get for a monthly Netflix subscription?

And then the question is: Would I have less enjoyment of the game, if I don't buy the DLC? That's where it gets really tricky. 4 new animals? Nice. I haven't even played with all the existing ones yet. So for the animals I really don't need to buy it, although it ticks the box "Adds more variety...". New missions? Fine, whatever. I haven't played more than the 3 tutorial missions and a bit in the 4th mission. I have 1 Franchise zoo (which I stopped playing) and one Challenge zoo, which keeps me busy. So, why should I be interested in buying the DLC?

Building and scenario pieces: Yes, that's where they get me. I love getting creative and the more possibilities, the better. This adds immediately new possibilities for my game. Everything else is nice to have, and of course the new animals will be nice. I just wouldn't buy a DLC pack just for animals.

As a mostly sandbox player I will use the new build items and animals. I'll also play the new career scenarios so the price seems right.

You'll find most of the backlash from the DLC is because of the release date and the current state of the game for some players.

And it looks like most players don't care about career. Global steam achievements say that only 1% of players have completed all scenarios to a bronze rating.

And it looks like most players don't care about career. Global steam achievements say that only 1% of players have completed all scenarios to a bronze rating.

I didn't do anything else in the game until I'd finished all career scenarios to gold and the (really low) percentage of folks who got that achievement was a shock to me.
I was therefore quite surprised to hear that the DLC has two scenarios in it. Seems like such a low appeal thing to include based on the numbers.

I was therefore quite surprised to hear that the DLC has two scenarios in it.

I'm wondering if they'll continue the career past the arctic DLC. Based off how the base game career ended, and the first DLC continues it, I was thinking they were going to release DLC in sort of an episode style where each DLC moved the career to a new location with a new build style and animals.

I'm wondering if they'll continue the career past the arctic DLC. Based off how the base game career ended, and the first DLC continues it, I was thinking they were going to release DLC in sort of an episode style where each DLC moved the career to a new location with a new build style and animals.

I hope so, despite my suprise that they did it in this first DLC. I actually quite enjoy the career scenerios. The fact that they have interesting maps and aren't just a big flat area like every other game mode (other than I guess sandbox where you can pick a career map) is, to me, a huge bonus. If they don't keep adding career scenerios with each DLC I'll be disappointed even if almost no one else is.

I've been playing the game non stop since it was released. And since it's a zoo game more animals the merrier!

Honestly, I've been a smoker for 10 years and when I look back I think of all the money I literally WASTED to destroy my health, 10€ for something that'll make me happy, give me hours of fun and not ruin my lungs in the process is nothing.

As far as career, I plan on finishing it sometime in the process because it's a really nice story and I like the challenge. So I don't mind. I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of Planet Zoo.

I have no problems paying for DLC for games I am still playing and enjoying, I am so glad they have included scenarios as they have always been my main focus when playing these types of games. (still got a number to do as I Gold Star everything before moving on). I don't play the game enough to get the most out of scenery and animals, as I play a number of other titles.

I have three hobbies: Writing, paper crafting ( I make cards) and sandbox gaming. Being creative is a lifestyle for me, helps me being me and helps keep my depressions at bay. The last one especially with gaming, as I only need little physical energy for it and it is not in any way similar to my job (online texter).
I compare a good dlc with a movie ticket as well, but also with medicine. And my health is worth all the money in the world.

(you can skipp the italic part if you are not interested in me or my gaming story)

I must say, I usually have one game as a hobby. I was exclusively a sim player for years (since Sims 1) and only made some days of exceptions for one time management game and a few riding games or animal games. I didn't even crafr back then, so I spend most of my weekends with the Sims.
EA ruined the franchise entirely with their focus on a younger audience and non-family players, so I had time on my hand. I tried cities skyline and bought way too much dlcs for it, as I don't even play it anymore. When I had a bad break up, JWE came out and got me distracted. It helped me get comfortable with another game and be happy again. That's when my eyes fell on Frontier for the first time (although, ironically enough, I bought Planco right after release but never played it, because I was overwhelmed with the posibilities. Mind you, Sim players get taught to not think outside the box and the building got easier and easier there). I was SO hoping Frontier would make a Zoo game. I knew they would be the absolutly perfect fit.

And then Planet Zoo was anounced. I had moved the month before and started binge watching planco videos to get comfortable with the building and with the posibilities. It opened up a new world to me.

Planet Zoo is not a game for me anymore. It's a way of live style like The Sims was for me. It's my medicine, my way of searching for my limits and stepping over them, my therapy, my (almost) exclusive only game I play. So I can't wait for any dlc they might give us and I might even buy a fish DLC and a bird DLC, though I don't care about both. And yes, the DLCs are worth it for me. Considering their content AND considering their personal worth for me.

That said: Thank you, Frontier!

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
I didn't do anything else in the game until I'd finished all career scenarios to gold and the (really low) percentage of folks who got that achievement was a shock to me.
I was therefore quite surprised to hear that the DLC has two scenarios in it. Seems like such a low appeal thing to include based on the numbers.

Not everyone completes everything at the start. I still haven't completed Planet Coaster Career but go back often to play one or two when I am in the mood. I will complete them one day, as I will with Zoo. 😀

Nothing wrong with DLCs in general and i think this one delivers enough content (200+ parts) beside the new animals to be worth 10 bucks.
Well, that would be the case if the base game would be fixed to a point where it is playable.
Before that is the case i won't buy it, at least not if/before i decide to play sandbox only.
Franchise is not playable without the risk to lose dozens of hours of gametime to old or new bugs.
I was quite a patient Wolfen, but the game is out long enough to be out of early access now.
I thought the animal foodcost jumps was bad, but who has patched the broken refund mechanic in the game gave it the rest.
The managment part of the game is in a worse state than in beta.
This is so unnecessary.

Last edited:
DLC would have been fine if it wasn’t for the asinine and disproportionate polar bear habitat size requirement. Ugh and here I was telling people that this dlc would be worth every penny...

DLC would have been fine if it wasn’t for the asinine and disproportionate polar bear habitat size requirement. Ugh and here I was telling people that this dlc would be worth every penny...

I think that polar bears will be a problem in a zoo with a wide variety of animals but would work well in an arctic only type zoo. I don't really have a problem with it.

I am fine with DLC, however I'm not ok with a DLC drop one month out from release, whilst there are many issues and bugs within the base game. Nor is a smart move to segment the playing community. Sure have building packs in DLC that does not affect the availability of animals on the trading market. I have already seen people posting about the lack of deluxe pack animals on the market recently.

Battlefield worked it out and stopped having maps locked behind a paywall same for COD. When will Frontier work it out?

I am fine with DLC, however I'm not ok with a DLC drop one month out from release, whilst there are many issues and bugs within the base game. Nor is a smart move to segment the playing community. Sure have building packs in DLC that does not affect the availability of animals on the trading market. I have already seen people posting about the lack of deluxe pack animals on the market recently.

Battlefield worked it out and stopped having maps locked behind a paywall same for COD. When will Frontier work it out?

Agreed. I won't buy this DLC while the game is in the state it is in. Today was the first time I got to play PZ without a single bug...but I'm going to hold off.

I'd also much rather have expansion packs with more substantial content than bitesized DLC packs. First thing people did when they saw the arctic pack was list all the animals they wish were in it...Do I think Frontier are going to eventually release Arctic Pack 2? No. It's a shame.

Top Bottom