What Features do you want for Space Legs in The Next Era?

Yeah, but say we could walk around our ships, each ship would need an interior and all module options designed, plus interactive stuff to do in and around our ships. Same if they allow us to walk around space docks and outposts.

Planetary POI would need more interactive stuff to make us want to walk around on the surface. Planets them self's atm are pretty boring, and planetary bases weren't designed with walking around them in mind. What about Wildlife? Do we have to worry about temperature, gravity, radiation when on planets?

Then there is a PVP aspect, do we get guns and armour? What about tools, can we collect stuff?

I feel we'll always want more from them, if they do give us space legs.

Last edited:
I'm tired of reading these kinds of insulting "arguments".
People who say such things should have a look at the concepts with which the game was planned and teased from the very beginning.

The post I was responding to was this.......

"ED is basically an adventure game set in space, where currently you are stuck in your seat and is very limited. Anything that can expand on those adventures is a good thing in my view."

I stand by what I said. If that's how you see Elite then it's quite plain you don't really like it.

"ED is basically an adventure game set in space, where currently you are stuck in your seat and is very limited. Anything that can expand on those adventures is a good thing in my view."

I stand by what I said. If that's how you see Elite then it's quite plain you don't really like it.
How is elite anything other then adventures in space. And you would be wrong. One of the best games I've played.

You can stand by it as much as you like it doesn't stop you from being wrong.

Yeah, but say we could walk around our ships, each ship would need an interior and all module options designed, plus interactive stuff to do in and around our ships
I don’t think this is as big of an issue as you might think. All they really need is the bridge, and then a corridor to the other external doors visible from the outside. Beyond that maybe a few things like capt cabin which would be on all ships.

I don’t see a need to render every possible module configuration

In the spirit of assuming we get space legs that is:

I'd like to just walk about in the parks and gardens on a space station.

Visit a bar for a space pint or coffee.
Maybe be offered a lucrative contract by some nefarious character while there.

Or even go into police station office to fines.

I think a no firearms policy would be mandatory.

yeah and I was responding to this........

If you can describe Elite this way then it's clear that the game isn't really to your liking, and what you want is a different kind of game. Rather than go find such a game you're trying to turn this game into that game. And I think this is true of all who want space legs.

And you are simply wrong, that's why I said:

I'm tired of reading these kinds of insulting "arguments".
People who say such things should have a look at the concepts with which the game was planned and teased from the very beginning.

Last edited:
I don’t expect to ever even stand in ED but If I were to dream id like the following. Space walks/Eva for repairs. Hostile boarding/take over. Community bars, drinking, cigarettes. Dodgy black markets with weapons you can buy and actually seeing the slaves your hauling up close and personal at said black markets it could give a metro 2033 vibe hearing others whispering or crying. It could really suck you in. Could create some fun game play I’d certainly be boarding pirates and saving people. Not gunna happen. Like I said if I could dream.

Would be great if along with either atmospheric landing or space legs you would have the option to create a new Commander in a "nightmare" setting, where death is permanent. No telepresence, flesh and blood.

It could be used as lore compatible bgs interaction, and also a good challenge for seasoned commanders. Extra pressure from players, extra glory (and questionably fun since grinding to get a better ship can be a chore).

This of course shouldn't erase your standard progress.
I love this idea.

In the spirit of assuming we get space legs that is:

I'd like to just walk about in the parks and gardens on a space station.

Visit a bar for a space pint or coffee.
Maybe be offered a lucrative contract by some nefarious character while there.

Or even go into police station office to fines.

I think a no firearms policy would be mandatory.
A no firearms policy would likely be decided by the security rating of the system I would have thought.

Last edited:
Spaceleg could be the opportunity to integrate every UI based placeholders in the game, maybe?

Who am I kidding, we'll likely have a fade to black then being teleported to some corridor with three prefab systemname faction offices and the neon lit universal arx store.

And you are simply wrong, that's why I said:.......

"I'm tired of reading these kinds of insulting "arguments".
People who say such things should have a look at the concepts with which the game was planned and teased from the very beginning."

I'm not aware of any serious commitment on the part of FD to space legs, though a lot of things went on the wishlist (I can't remember the actual name of it) that they then ignored.

The thing about space legs is that it's not the space legs itself that's wanted; it's the content that you hope will go with it - and that's a different game. To me it's like saying "what this game needs is a board with some tokens, a couple of dice, and paper money". What that guy wants of course, is Monopoly.

I'm not aware of any serious commitment on the part of FD to space legs, though a lot of things went on the wishlist (I can't remember the actual name of it) that they then ignored.
It's been mentioned a number of times. And who says it's been ignoed. Just because it isn't in game doesn't mean they are not working on it.

The thing about space legs is that it's not the space legs itself that's wanted; it's the content that you hope will go with it - and that's a different game. To me it's like saying "what this game needs is a board with some tokens, a couple of dice, and paper money". What that guy wants of course, is Monopoly.
No it's not a different game. It should enhance and complement what's already in game if done well. It wouldn't be a different game, it would be the same game, but expanded.

Functional and immersive station interiors.

So Cmndrs have the option of alternative spawn points besides the paraplegic one sitting inside your ship bridge at log on. Provide the optional ability to immersively spawn in your apartment/room bed from inside the station. Instead of being limited to sitting in your ship cockpit in the station hangar. This option can be toggled from the menu before starting each game session. But provided the player was physically docked at a planetary base or orbiting station before exiting their last play session.

Just like how FTR's player character can get out of their bed at 4:00 and can directly head to the hangar to get into their ship here

having this feature at planetary outposts/pit stops outside the bubble and on the frontier in places like Colonia. This would really enhance game play for traders, explorers and combat Cmnders alike. They would provide a safe zone for Cmnders to buy supplies and/or repair their ships. The availability of their services would vary just like they currently do now.

Also a feature like rented apartments (that provides safe station spawn points at strategic locations in the galaxy) is a great way to provide money sinks for those Cmndrs who complain about credits being too easy to make and/or are upset they have too much credits :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Here are some examples of FDev’s serious commitments to Legs :)

Newsletter 32: 'To Launch, and Beyond with the Lifetime Expansion Pass'

We also plan to allow you to get up out of your seat and walk around your ship. You can see the level of attention and thought that has already been given to the ship interiors from these ship cockpit views in this video:

Of course walking round your ship will be nice, but it is the just springboard for a very significant expansion of gameplay – you will be able to experience the inside of starports and interact with other players and AI characters, and even board other people’s ships in space and take them by force, as shown in this concept piece.

Flightsuit_combatsketch01.jpg

Of course this will be further expanded to include walking around on the surfaces of planets too.

Alpha and Premium Beta customers, and those who have already bought the £35 Lifetime Expansion Pass alongside either Beta or the full game, will have access to all these features and updates for as long as we create them at no further cost.

Elite: Dangerous Development Plan (hosted on Kickstarter page - Dec 2014)

You will be able to walk around the spaceport, you will be able to see gold being loaded into someone else's ship, you will be able to sneak in and hide in amongst the cargo. All of those things are phenomenal game play opportunities where that ship might actually be the ship of another player, so just think where that all ends.

Elite Dangerous Expansion Pass Store Page - [IE the point of sale] (circa July 2014):

We intend to continue expanding the game both with new content and new features. A good example of this is planetary landings. We have an ambitious goal for landings to include new gameplay and a rich variety of worlds to explore. To achieve our goal we want the planets to come to life. We also want to add leaving the ships so you can explore space stations or board enemy vessels or even just to look around your own. We intend to release small, free updates after launch, but major expansions including rich new features will be charged for, unless you have bought the expansion pass

Newsletter 29: Lifetime Expansion Pass - to be withdrawn from sale

For example, our current roadmap is to add (in no particular order):
  • Landing/ driving / prospecting on airless rocky planets, moons & asteroids
  • Walking around interiors and combative boarding of other ships
  • Combat and other interactions with other players and AIs in the internal areas of star ports
  • Accessing richly detailed planetary surfaces
  • Availability of giant ‘executive control’ ships to players
Alpha and Premium Beta customers, and those who have already bought the £35 expansion pass alongside either Beta or the full game, will have access to all these features and updates for as long as we create them at no further cost.

---

Throw in things like periodic suggestions by FDev that it's still their intent...

Yep. It would be a ‘whole new game’, as FDev themselves have said. (Which is why it’s possibly telling that the DLC dev run is as big as the launch dev run ;))

Now, do you want to be the boot, or the ship? ;)

Top Bottom