What other games are we all playing?

My Discord list of friends is stuffed with people playing New World. Unfortunately, New World does not appeal to me. I suck at fantasy MMO's.

Is Oddy a fantasy? :geek:

So the devs released a patch to Railroads Online on Friday which pretty much screwed all play over the weekend. Apparently we now have to fuel our trains (firewood was previously unlimited)... which is probably a good thing, but because I didn't know they were doing it, I was left stranded. If you have no fuel, your engine doesn't move, and you can't pick up fuel without an engine! Catch-22.

After looking around for something else to play whilst they sort that out, I came across Foundation which has been on my wishlist for a while, and had 20% off. It's a Settlers-esque type of gridless medieval city builder, it's been in early access for over a year, and seems to have come on leaps and bounds in that time. Lot of fun, quite deep, and very cute. Really like the way it's going.

Railroads Online had a hotfix update last night where you can plonk some firewood anywhere, so I'm back in the game... but Foundation has my heart now.

Well, I've pretty much done with Witcher 3 now, after a bit of fisty cuffs with a higher vampire. Feeling a bit bereft actually sniff

Back with Transport Fever 2 and loving the left hand mod that makes vehicles drive on the right (left) side of the road. Big decision coming up, RDR2 or Kingdom come: deliverance.

I think RDR2 to break up the medieval vibe a bit.

At some point I'll download updates 7 and 8 and see if my space software toy is worth strolling through again.

Started playing the Mass Effect remaster a few months after buying it.

ME1 environments look nicer. Not entirely sure on gameplay yet as haven't reall played enough, but weapons are treated very differently to the OG.

Started playing the Mass Effect remaster a few months after buying it.

ME1 environments look nicer. Not entirely sure on gameplay yet as haven't reall played enough, but weapons are treated very differently to the OG.
The gameplay changes to ME1 (that and missing the Pinnacle DLC) are what's holding me back from buying. I like ME1 as is, the exception being the Mako's handling which is one on the changes I believe that was made for the better.

Currently on Cyberpunk 2077.

Really enjoying.

Only had one major issues so far. Couldn't do any damage to anything, with anything. A bit of googling led to a possible solution which worked for me at least (Save, change difficulty, resave, change difficulty back and restart the game) . A few graphical glitches and the occasional inability to pick up some junk loot are the only other bits that have cropped up.

My Discord list of friends is stuffed with people playing New World. Unfortunately, New World does not appeal to me. I suck at fantasy MMO's.

Is Oddy a fantasy? :geek:

I play a lot of New World. I wouldnt put this in a fantasy bracket though I suppose that depends on your tolerance for that sort of thing.

It feels more "historical" to me, being set in some indeterminate point in 17th century. Its shields and swords with magical weapons thrown in.

It's a decent game but its having some bug problems at the moment in the higher level mechanics, nothing a new player would notice. Likely to be fixed in next patch.

Deleted member 182079

D
Gotten terribly hooked on Cities Skylines again. Came across Youtube channel City Planner Plays, and binged through 40+ episodes, most about an hour long. Learned a lot about better city layout and design, and importantly how to properly use the landscaping/terraforming tools. The game has become a much better experience now that I can pull off much more sensical and pretty builds by myself, obviously inspired greatly by the above Youtuber and another called T4rget. Now bought all major DLC including content creator packs. Good stuff.

Will also pre-order Forza Horizon 5 this week - early access given to the premium version. I don't normally do this (and Odyssey really burned me here) but the Forza Horizon series is so consistently top quality, and what I've seen so far #5 will be no different, that it's a no-brainer. 110GB download, thankfully the game is available on Steam also which means I no longer have to get irate at the stupidly low download speeds of the Microsoft store. Am looking forward to this a lot, though I'm afraid Horizon 4 will have to make room for it. Played that game to death at this stage anyways.

Will also pre-order Forza Horizon 5 this week - early access given to the premium version. I don't normally do this (and Odyssey really burned me here) but the Forza Horizon series is so consistently top quality, and what I've seen so far #5 will be no different, that it's a no-brainer. 110GB download, thankfully the game is available on Steam also which means I no longer have to get irate at the stupidly low download speeds of the Microsoft store. Am looking forward to this a lot, though I'm afraid Horizon 4 will have to make room for it. Played that game to death at this stage anyways.

Careful it's not another MSFS situation, where the Steam download is just a launcher that connects to the Microsoft store to download. Steam takes that as 'playtime', so you wouldn't get a refund if it takes more than 2 hours to download.

Careful it's not another MSFS situation, where the Steam download is just a launcher that connects to the Microsoft store to download. Steam takes that as 'playtime', so you wouldn't get a refund if it takes more than 2 hours to download.
I hate with all my might that installer. Not only is it terribly slow for me (much slower than my Internet), it's also unreliable and consumes WAY too much CPU & GPU for a simple installer. It is utter garbage compared to Steam.. In fact, it's the reason I stopped playing MSFS.

I'm hoping it's finally fixed by the November update, as I actually like the sim itself when it runs. I've been waiting for the DX12 update before trying to download it again.

Deleted member 182079

D
Oh ok - I better check how it works for Horizon 4 as I bought that on the MS store, but it was added to Steam since. Fingers crossed it's 'proper' Steam managed, otherwise there's indeed little point in buying it there. Thanks for pointing this out.

Edit - quick search yielded no results that suggest the install follows MSFS's approach, I guess that's more an Asobo thing perhaps. Preload is already available so will pull the trigger today. If I see any separate launcher malarkey I might just refund and go through the MS store directly, hopefully not necessary.

Edit2 - come across a few negative reviews that mention issues with the Steam version (more performance and DLC related). Might just play it safe and buy it on the MS store like I did for the rest, also means I can play other games on Steam while it's downloading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotten terribly hooked on Cities Skylines again. Came across Youtube channel City Planner Plays, and binged through 40+ episodes, most about an hour long. Learned a lot about better city layout and design, and importantly how to properly use the landscaping/terraforming tools.
If you like layout and design, then you might just love Space Engineers... I know you think you won't, but you never know, it might just hook you! Black Friday sales are only a few weeks away :D

Granted, you won't be building any sleek Imperial ships like a Cutter in SE, but if you like the aesthetics and world of The Expanse, SE is perfect!

5C069CA20CC56599B89BB4184D0C152E07524E75

I hate with all my might that installer. Not only is it terribly slow for me (much slower than my Internet), it's also unreliable and consumes WAY too much CPU & GPU for a simple installer. It is utter garbage compared to Steam.. In fact, it's the reason I stopped playing MSFS.

I'm hoping it's finally fixed by the November update, as I actually like the sim itself when it runs. I've been waiting for the DX12 update before trying to download it again.

Oh ok - I better check how it works for Horizon 4 as I bought that on the MS store, but it was added to Steam since. Fingers crossed it's 'proper' Steam managed, otherwise there's indeed little point in buying it there. Thanks for pointing this out.

Edit - quick search yielded no results that suggest the install follows MSFS's approach, I guess that's more an Asobo thing perhaps. Preload is already available so will pull the trigger today. If I see any separate launcher malarkey I might just refund and go through the MS store directly, hopefully not necessary.

Edit2 - come across a few negative reviews that mention issues with the Steam version (more performance and DLC related). Might just play it safe and buy it on the MS store like I did for the rest, also means I can play other games on Steam while it's downloading.

I think if I'd known about the MSFS / Microsoft / Steam setup, I'd have bought it on the MS Store too.

Not least because if I happen to get an Xbox someday (never know), the game will work there too. Now if I did, I'd have to buy it again, and it was £110 the first time so that's not happening.

I mean, in MSFS' case, as Duck says above, the installer itself is pants anyway. It has been improved a bit, and it does mostly work, but you have to quickly sacrifice a goat first.

Solasta has a new DLC dropping tomorrow. Adds the Druid and Barbarian classes as well and Half-Orc as a playable race. Also the Dungeon Maker is getting an update with new features and tilesets.

If you're looking for something to create dungeons in, this is probably the best thing since NWN2.

Deleted member 182079

D
If you like layout and design, then you might just love Space Engineers... I know you think you won't, but you never know, it might just hook you! Black Friday sales are only a few weeks away :D

Granted, you won't be building any sleek Imperial ships like a Cutter in SE, but if you like the aesthetics and world of The Expanse, SE is perfect!

5C069CA20CC56599B89BB4184D0C152E07524E75
Tell you what, I'll meet you half way and say that if I ever run out of games to play/buy I'll look into this more ;) I reckon CS and FH5 will take a considerable chunk out of my time, and MSFS still gets a fair bit of my time also. I'm not usually that big into building games, but city builders are different - I think I like the traffic management aspect in particular.
I think if I'd known about the MSFS / Microsoft / Steam setup, I'd have bought it on the MS Store too.

Not least because if I happen to get an Xbox someday (never know), the game will work there too. Now if I did, I'd have to buy it again, and it was £110 the first time so that's not happening.

I mean, in MSFS' case, as Duck says above, the installer itself is pants anyway. It has been improved a bit, and it does mostly work, but you have to quickly sacrifice a goat first.
The way the MSFS installer works is pretty annoying, more because it requires the game running, although I have to say I never had any particular issues with it (other than it wasting electricity, though it doesn't seem to run my PC as hot as it used to in the beginning, fans remain silent); everything's been plain sailing for me, maybe I was lucky as I did read about issues others had here and elsewhere - though it does take ages especially compared to Steam. Does the MS store version install directly and its entirety then?

I just purchased FH5 (MS Store in the end, those FH4 performance issues with the Steam version, which is apparently a port, put me off that, just in case) and couldn't get the preload working initially, the various components failed to download and it just gave me a nondescript error code (googling it yielded results for older Forza games as well) - almost gave up but then figured given how MS games are so interlinked with the OS these days, I'd perform a Windows update check (not sure if this helped but it did install stuff) and upon restarting I got the same error - but then I found the FH5 install option when I clicked on it in the downloads section (which is where I thought I was....). Not exactly straightforward but it's downloading now...2.5GB done, 99GB more to go:eek:

Tell you what, I'll meet you half way and say that if I ever run out of games to play/buy I'll look into this more ;) I reckon CS and FH5 will take a considerable chunk out of my time, and MSFS still gets a fair bit of my time also. I'm not usually that big into building games, but city builders are different - I think I like the traffic management aspect in particular.
If you also promise to subscribe to my Space Engineers thread, then we have a deal :D

If I can't sell you on my adventures as documented in that thread, well then I guess SE truly isn't for you after all. 🤷‍♂️

Can't blame a man for trying! At least I helped sell you a copy of X4 ;)

Top Bottom