Horizons What is Combat Logging?

Hi all,

The title says it all really. What is combat logging?

Also, if you are in open play and you receive a message in you comms panel in light green type, is that a "real person"

Thanks.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
This:

For clarity’s sake, “combat logging” is when a Commander ungracefully exits the game (e.g. using ALT + F4 then shutting down the game process) to avoid defeat, destruction and damage.

.... and, more recently:

Hello Commanders!

To clarify: the official stance on exiting the game via the menu, at any point, is that it is legitimate. I suspect at some point we may increase the "in danger" countdown, but for now you just have to wait fifteen seconds.

However, we can't speak for how other Commanders view such actions.

For the record, when we talk about "combat logging" at Frontier, we mean the act of ungracefully exiting the game (either by ALT-F4 type procedures or by cutting the network traffic).

Last edited:
Combat logging is escaping combat by quitting the game.

Officially you can go to the menu, use the quit option, wait for the 15 second timer to run down and then quit. This makes you a sitting duck for 15 seconds and is still frowned upon in CMDR to CMDR engagements.

A lot of combat loggers will force quit the game or kill their network connection. This results in an insta-quit that cannot be prevented, as because the game is P2P there is no way to counter it. This is very, very frowned upon (read: actively will not be tolerated, and rightfully so) by the majority of combat pilots and is not acceptable by FD's rules, with the threat of ban as punishment.

Scenario number two is visible because the ship will start to fly in an unchanging path and will not take any damage, proceeded by the ship vanishing.

Any interaction with CMDRs would be obvious because they should have CMDR in front of their name at all times.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

This:

"For clarity’s sake, “combat logging” is when a Commander ungracefully exits the game (e.g. using ALT + F4 then shutting down the game process) to avoid defeat, destruction and damage."

It's worth noting that I've never been able to close ED using Alt/F4, as with many other games. It might just be me, but if I had the bizarre inclination to quit very quickly, I would need to alt/tab out and shut the process down - or just pull the plug on my networking. Perhaps that's what he meant, because alt/F4 would typically close the relevant process(es) down anyway - last I checked ED doesn't operate any active data transfer processes to the BGS when the game is closed.

Last edited:
Combat logging is escaping combat by quitting the game.

Officially you can go to the menu, use the quit option, wait for the 15 second timer to run down and then quit. This makes you a sitting duck for 15 seconds and is still frowned upon in CMDR to CMDR engagements.

A lot of combat loggers will force quit the game or kill their network connection. This results in an insta-quit that cannot be prevented, as because the game is P2P there is no way to counter it. This is very, very frowned upon (read: actively will not be tolerated, and rightfully so) by the majority of combat pilots and is not acceptable by FD's rules, with the threat of ban as punishment.

Scenario number two is visible because the ship will start to fly in an unchanging path and will not take any damage, proceeded by the ship vanishing.

Any interaction with CMDRs would be obvious because they should have CMDR in front of their name at all times.

It's worth noting that I've never been able to close ED using Alt/F4, as with many other games. It might just be me, but if I had the bizarre inclination to quit very quickly, I would need to alt/tab out and shut the process down - or just pull the plug on my networking. Perhaps that's what he meant, because alt/F4 would typically close the relevant process(es) down anyway - last I checked ED doesn't operate any active data transfer processes to the BGS when the game is closed.
Banning someone in a completely non-competitive game is beyond stupid. And honestly with the way the current heat nonsense is going I completely justify someone combat logging because they unknowingly or accidentally selected open instead of private.

Banning someone in a completely non-competitive game is beyond stupid. And honestly with the way the current heat nonsense is going I completely justify someone combat logging because they unknowingly or accidentally selected open instead of private.

Combat Logging is cheating. Banning someone for cheating is perfectly reasonable.

And what does the heat Meta have to do with your inability to select the mode of play that you want?

Combat logging?

When players attack for no reason other than to spoil someone else's fun... I say keep on combat logging!

Combat Logging has two undeniable benefits. First, it protects you from the consequences of someone else's derangement. Second, you won't feed the trolls as you deny their "fun". If trolls don't get fed they go away... or quit.

It is a win-win because the community will gradually improve if trolls are not fed.

Someone playing with a "pirate" strategy is another story. Piracy is legitimate.

Last edited:
Google is your friend: "looging" is writing a log file to the disk. So if you write a log file to your harddisk or ssd about what happens to you during combat in the game you are "combat logging". Maybe someone should explain this to FD too. :)

Last edited:
Until you pay someone for their time, and provide a copy of the game, a gaming PC, an Internet connection and a legal contract that states "you will play the game for X hours at Y times" then you have absolutely no say in what anyone does with their stuff.

Don't like it? Tough biscuits.

True, I have nothing against the accidental "oops" moments. We all have them.

The ones that irk me is when I see videos of people that C-log in open then are spotted a mere 15 minutes later in Open again and log again. Those are the ones that should be banned to the shadowservers imho. I also seriously doubt they'd get banned for a one-time event in any case, thats pretty extreme.

Regardless of mode you are playing an MMO, if there are no game rules then the game looses all credibility unless it was designed by that intent.

Edit: I also realised after posting the OP's question has been answered and we should let this thread sink to the depths :D Bye all!

Last edited:

Exactly how is ED not competitive.

You have 4 'super' powers (independent pilots, alliance, fed, empire) - all with different ethos and in direct competition through various means. Each of those 4 can be further sub-divided into 10 competing PowerPlay powers - of which you don't have to directly participate in PP to take advantage of the benefits. Then add in the various competitive community goals and whatnot.... and you have plenty of competitive arenas.

So I take it whenever a crazed NPC stops you - you believe combat logging is ok? I think you'd be more apt to play Euro Truck simulator than ED if that is the case. ED is competitive at it's very nature....

Last edited:
............ What is combat logging?

Never done it but it is what I should have done yesterday when my thrusters went and I ended up seeing a 16+MCr rebuy screen - that's my 4th overall, first since engineers and twice as much as all my previous insurance claims combined!

[knocked out]

(Still at least I now know that modules retain their mods on insurance rebuys.)

Combat logging?

When players attack for no reason other than to spoil someone else's fun... I say keep on combat logging.

Combat Logging has two undeniable benefits. First, I protects you from the consequences of someone else's derangement. Second, you won't feed the trolls as you deny their "fun". If trolls don't get fed they go away or quit.

It is a win-win because the community will gradually improve if trolls are not fed.

Someone playing with a "pirate" strategy is another story. Piracy is legitimate.

It griefs the griefer.

Combat logging?

When players attack for no reason other than to spoil someone else's fun... I say keep on combat logging.

Combat Logging has two undeniable benefits. First, I protects you from the consequences of someone else's derangement. Second, you won't feed the trolls as you deny their "fun". If trolls don't get fed they go away or quit.

Go right ahead and combat log. We'll just post a video of your cheating and have FD ban you to the shadowservers.

Exactly how is ED not competitive.

You have 4 'super' powers (independent pilots, alliance, fed, empire) - all with different ethos and in direct competition through various means. Each of those 4 can be further sub-divided into 10 competing PowerPlay powers - of which you don't have to directly participate in PP to take advantage of the benefits. Then add in the various competitive community goals and whatnot.... and you have plenty of competitive arenas.

So I take it whenever a crazed NPC stops you - you believe combat logging is ok? I think you'd be more apt to play Euro Truck simulator than ED if that is the case. ED is competitive at it's very nature....
Lol... Someone thinking Power Play means something. If it was as important as you say then why is it mostly ignored.

Whilst at the moment I try and avoid combat, I will inevitably be interdicted. Being a pacifist is not an option, so you must either learn good defense (my current posture), or good offense, depending.

Combat is something that will find you, like Karma, so you must be ready for it.

While I agree with the last part of your comments, there are far too many aggressive players out there who will initiate a PvP combat situation but will not think twice about logging should they find themselves outmatched and about to loose their ship to a better player.

This happened to me several times in my early days with ED in OPEN. This coupled with several other issues I have with the way PvP works in this game, I decided to focus my gameplay in SOLO, where NPCs don't yank their network connection when they are losing. ;)

...To clarify: the official stance on exiting the game via the menu, at any point, is that it is legitimate...
Nice to have that confirmed by the lead designer.
Perhaps the notion that a small group of inflexible players with vested interests are the ones who decide what is acceptable, can finally be laid to rest.
Don't be a sheep.

Top Bottom