What is the name of your exploration ship?

I named my Asp Explorer "Memento Mori". It was a phrase that both Roman soldiers and monks would use to meditate on death. That name came to me when I got back to the bubble to sell my exploration data, after spending a year in the black, and I was definitely meditating on death.

It isn't an exploration ship, but I named my combat-trader-Anaconda "Good Ship Lollipop", because it's an ironic name for a badass combat-trader.

Main Account: Void Runner - from 4D Timegate (ZX Spectrum)
Explorer Account: Gypsy Moth - from the Dire Straits track, Single Handed-Sailor

My first exploration vessel was a Clipper. Once I returned from the Red and Green glory I named it Kevin because I found so many water worlds in that ship.

Mine is named "General Santiago." I named it after a Turkey I met at somebody's farm while hiking in the Sierra Madre Oriental Mountains in Mexico as a kid. This was a male turkey and was acting typical of a male turkey with a harem full of female turkeys which he was dominating and constantly mating with. He was also aggressively shooing people away and struting around like a General as if he was wearing epaulettes. This was the most memorable poultry I have ever met or likely will meet. We dubbed the turkey "Santiago" after a fat, mean security guard at the mall I worked at in North Austin and gave him a rank befitting of his apparent station in life among Turkeys.

I have no idea what that has to do with an exploration ship but it's the first thing that popped into my head when faced with naming one.

Elysium Starfire

Named so for the Distant Suns expedition.

Though currently its exploration modules are in storage while I collect funds and things in the bubble before going home to Colonia again. It is currently rigged for hauling and shooting stuff.

My 46ly exploration Python is named "Golightly."

It is a reference to Audrey Hepburn's character in "Breakfast at Tiffany's." Also, it works as a play on Star Trek's "to boldly go..." line.

NSQxXOah.png

The "Golightly" flying in front of planetary nebula Egnairbs ZU-Y E916

46ly! Yowza that must be a combo of some good rolls and a very empty ship!

Yes. I also engineered nearly every other module to make it as lightweight as possible (relying on some lucky secondary effects). I realize all the time and effort that I put in the Python could have netted me a 56ly+ Asp or a 67ly+ Anaconda, but I just like the way the Python looks/feels in comparison. It ended up being a fun project.

mnrFC7h

mnrFC7hl.png

mnrFC7h

mnrFC7h

mnrFC7h
mnrFC7h
The ship is currently shielded, so the jump range is slightly lower than usual.

Last edited:
Well, I've only been flying since just before Christmas, but I've got 3 ships, not counting the starter Sidewinder. The first is a little Adder christened The Minimal Kestrel, then next was a Cobra III I bought for capitalist purposes, so its name is Neutral Greedy. Just recently, I picked up a Type-6 and kitted it out for exploration. Its name is The Endurance, after Ernest Shackleton's ship. I'm far off now, in the depths of the Milky Way, and I just found my first truly unexplored planet. I have a ways to go to my destination, and then there's the long haul back, but I will be pleased to see my name pop up for this little ice ball of a planet...

Top Bottom