What other games are we all playing?

I'm finally getting back into Skyrim.

Not played much yet, but this is due to me installing many, many mods.

I fully expect the game to crash.

But it's refreshing to get back into singleplayer TES.

I've been playing Daggerfall Unity the last couple of days, proper old school Elder Scrolls. Major nostalgia. its also way more stable than the original ever was. I haven't fallen through the floor once. I downloaded a his res textures mod to make it a bit less horrendous to look at

I've been playing Daggerfall Unity the last couple of days, proper old school Elder Scrolls. Major nostalgia. its also way more stable than the original ever was. I haven't fallen through the floor once. I downloaded a his res textures mod to make it a bit less horrendous to look at

Yeah, there's a pretty neat little mod scene already, for hand painted characters, high res textures, real grass, birds in the sky, adding random NPCs, new guilds, new tavern layouts... What a fantastic job they've done!

I had some urge to build ships so I browsed NavalArt on Steam. I had a quick look at it and put up promptly a refund request. The UI is atrocious. Took me at least 5 minutes to find out how to place components. Never figured how to edit shape and couldnt be bothered. Not with that UI.

And then I ran a quick battle and it was like a bit like Superhot - only with worse gameplay.

I'm playing Space Engineers. Before you say, "Stop repeating yourself!" know that I recently switched servers (Keen's official servers are rubbish) with some very different settings, so it does feel like a "new game" in many ways. Between the variety of servers, settings, and many many mods, this is a game that has yet to feel old. I'll never uninstall ED, but for the last long while, every time I'm tempted to click on "Elite Dangerous" in my Steam menu, my mouse cursor is magnetically pulled to "Space Engineers" instead.

I'm playing Space Engineers. Before you say, "Stop repeating yourself!" know that I recently switched servers (Keen's official servers are rubbish) with some very different settings, so it does feel like a "new game" in many ways. Between the variety of servers, settings, and many many mods, this is a game that has yet to feel old. I'll never uninstall ED, but for the last long while, every time I'm tempted to click on "Elite Dangerous" in my Steam menu, my mouse cursor is magnetically pulled to "Space Engineers" instead.
And @Old Duck managed to suck me into MP SE right after him. Had a Saturday with a lot of free time for a change, and I didn’t even think of playing ED.

Doom 2016.

With the punch every enemy for health minigame on I found it really tedious and repetitive so I added a mod that disables it and beefs up the guns just a bit.

Now it's a proper shiny new doom.

Wow! The 3 founding fathers of The Elder Scrolls aka have reunited to form an Indie RPG/PvE company! Featuring Ted Peterson (lead designer/writer for TES 1 to TES IV Oblivion, Vijay Lackshman (lead designer/exec producer TES 1), and Julian Le Fay aka Aedric Julianos, as a director/lead dev himself! o_O

OnceLostGames.JPG

ESO did this great interview of Ted Peterson, one of the original story lore designers on TES I Arena and TES II Daggerfall. Guy was a walking TES encyclopedia back then. Virtually 99% of all the lore you encounter in books/game world all around Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind were his brain children.

He also discusses Wayward Realms

which is the new project that's currently under development by the studio. And best yet, is going to be the spiritual successor of Daggerfall! :love:

Peterson also provided some unique insight to his new company Once Lost Games at 1:26:46. ESO interview here:

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AegrlefXuwE

But not to go all SC-esque fan boi just from seeing those 3 names. Let's keep it real: after getting my dome capped in with SotD and CP 2077, I'm definitely NOT going to get emotionally over invested iin this one. Too many things can happen between now and when (if ever) Wayward Realms release date.

HOWEVER, the track record of consistent game releases by these 3 game producers/lead devs with past TES games speak for itself. But seriously. ANY game featuring Aedra Julianos, The God of Wizards HIMSELF. HAS GOT to be the next best thing to the 2nd coming IMO :love:

Bookmarking and stalking this title development over the next few years. Is it remotely possible? Could these 3 Magi actually re-capture the lightning in a bottle they had back in Daggerfall?

Vintage footage and words of wisdom from Julianos himself:

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGLGi5RK8V8

Last edited:
I just played the Tower of Deadly Monsters yesterday, it has been in my backlog for the longest time. I really recommend it if you are a fan of B-movie cinema, it is very self aware and the writing is very entertaining. It is a short game tho, but a fun one nonetheless.

Plus I just got around to playing Medievil on the PS5. It has become a blast to play thanks to the boost in performance, very otherworldly to play a HD 4K 60fps version of a game I played the first level over and over on a demo disc when I was a kid.

I plan to play Control now that it got a PS5 upgrade, and then I finally want to jump into Abe's Odyssey. I was terrified of it growing up, but I am ready this time around to finally give it a shot.

Wow! The 3 founding fathers of The Elder Scrolls aka have reunited to form an Indie RPG/PvE company! Featuring Ted Peterson (lead designer/writer for TES 1 to TES IV Oblivion, Vijay Lackshman (lead designer/exec producer TES 1), and Julian Le Fay aka Aedric Julianos, as a director/lead dev himself! o_O

View attachment 206589

ESO did this great interview of Ted Peterson, one of the original story lore designers on TES I Arena and TES II Daggerfall. Guy was a walking TES encyclopedia back then. Virtually 99% of all the lore you encounter in books/game world all around Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind were his brain children.

He also discusses Wayward Realms

which is the new project that's currently under development by the studio. And best yet, is going to be the spiritual successor of Daggerfall! :love:

Peterson also provided some unique insight to his new company Once Lost Games at 1:26:46. ESO interview here:

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AegrlefXuwE

But not to go all SC-esque fan boi just from seeing those 3 names. Let's keep it real: after getting my dome capped in with SotD and CP 2077, I'm definitely NOT going to get emotionally over invested iin this one. Too many things can happen between now and when (if ever) Wayward Realms release date.

HOWEVER, the track record of consistent game releases by these 3 game producers/lead devs with past TES games speak for itself. But seriously. ANY game featuring Aedra Julianos, The God of Wizards HIMSELF. HAS GOT to be the next best thing to the 2nd coming IMO :love:

Bookmarking and stalking this title development over the next few years. Is it remotely possible? Could these 3 Magi actually re-capture the lightning in a bottle they had back in Daggerfall?

Vintage footage and words of wisdom from Julianos himself:

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGLGi5RK8V8

I saw that when I was looking at downloading Daggerfall Unity, Hope they can pull it off. I also hope it has some massive maze like dungeons like Daggerfall. That's one thing Skyrim and other newer games are missing, you can usually blast through a skyrim Dungeon in 20 minutes or less, You can be lost for hours in a dungeon in Daggerfall, and there's thousands of them!

I'd also forgot how unforgiving it can be, I was in a dungeon with loads of giant scorpions last night, and had no way of curing paralysis. Quicksave/Load was used a lot!

Best forum post to date
Just had a billion dollar jackpot In powerball recently.

Wonder what they're going to do with their share once Uncle Sam takes his cut?

For all you Stellaris geek cone heads:

Massive Steam sale on several major DLC and addon packs. In particular, The Federations expansion is going for $14 USD (down from $20). Federation and Megacorp are down to $10. And many of the smaller content packs like Synthetic Dawn are at $3.99 to $5 USD. Now's a good time to stock up on your xenophilic NPC content!

I cannot bring myself to finish Siege of Dragonspear. It's presents the illusion of choice, then not-so-subtly suggests the one correct path, then punishes me with tedium and frustration if I follow it. I'd like to see as much of the story as possible, but whenever I try to, I get sucked into some long winded monologue that then dumps my character into a tactically disadvantageous position in an unavoidable fight.

By half-way through the expansion I wasn't even trying to talk to potentially hostile NPCs any more...it's just scout ahead, hit them with a couple of cloudkills followed by some animated skeleton warrior infantry, wait for the screams to stop, then loot their still warm carcasses before they could bore my character to death before trying to kill him.

Top Bottom