Whats with the CG?

This response, in a nutshell, is the largest problem with Elite Dangerous. The developers either aren't aware how their game actually plays live, or they are incredibly disillusioned as to the value of the content they produce.

Or they are not really too concerned with anything outside their immediate interests. The community team regularly magic in stuff because they can't fit in the time it takes to do anything on stream. The disconnect is large, and mostly they are just okay with it.

Game dynamically changes stakes and outcome of player driven scenario. Players come to forums complaining how devs don't understand what they want.

Face. Palm.

Rare:

(of a thing) not found in large numbers and so of interest or value.

If you could get a lot of it it wouldn't be rare at all, considering that you are dealing in tonnes even 15 tonnes of a rare item is a lot of it.

You could also help the faction get back into a boom state to up their production of their "rare" item, but hey, nobody is going to put that much effort in, it isn't fun...

This is reason why I don't take any complains about ED 'lacking depth' seriously. In the past, when you didn't understand something, either you said it openly and everybody was ok with it, or you made fool out of yourself trying to blame game, not yourself.

Now, with groupthink megaphone it is all 'we want what we want and we don't care how we should do it'.

Rare goods are a bit odd. But they were my route to new ships back in the pre-1.4 days when credits were extremely hard to make.

The rares trading routes I explored were my first longer journeys in the galaxy, too. They have their place.

Perhaps "Single Origin Goods" would better describe them, but it's a bit of a mouthful!

o7

Some bright spark always comes up with this response to defend the awful implementation of rare goods spawn rates...
Rare goods should never have a spawn rate, and should not be possible to be used as a regular trade commodity.

There are many awful things about the implementation including:
Known locations of supply, (should rather be occasional and highly lucrative jackpots, not just regular commodities in disguise)
Predictable and guaranteed supply rates, (should rather be something that is unexpectedly discovered, or hunted for)
Profit based on distance of sale from supply, (should be based on how much a collector is wiling to pay for something hard to get, could just as well be next to the discovery site)
Etc,

But the goods being actually rare is not one of the problems.

In the Peter F Hamilton book, Reality Dysfunction, there is a very good example of rare goods trading. Peter is English, aged 57, so Elite will have been an influence and inspiration to his sci-fi work.

Omitting one or two details from the book, here is a rough summary of the parts relevant to rare goods:
The planet Norfolk is a low tech planet that produces a valuable rare good, the liquor Norfolk Tears. The Tears are only sold during the annual harvest and are mostly bought up by large syndicates. A percentage of the harvest is reserved for casual traders, which keeps the price high.
Two of the principle characters, Joshua Calvert and Syrinx are starship captains who arrive at the harvest in the hope to get some Tears. They have each saved plenty of money, Syrinx through military service, Joshua through smuggling. They have both also brought rare goods with them to help secure a load of Tears.
Syrinx, along with many other hopeful Tears traders, went to a waterworld and bought valuable seafood. Syrinx did fairly well for a new Tears trader, she secured 200 tons of Tears, which was ½ what her starship could hold. She had committed to sell 10% of her Tears cargo to her seafood supplier, so had to return to the waterworld.
Joshua Calvert took a risk with the rare good he shipped to Norfolk. He guessed that an ultra-hard wood might be valuable on a low-tech planet like Norfolk. So he found a colony world that had the hardest known wood in the galaxy and filled his 1000 ton cargo hold with it to take to Norfolk. To get the wood, he had agreed to take another character as a passenger (though he ended up taking the book’s principle villain). The wood was indeed wanted on Norfolk. Joshua also agreed to take an injured relative of his Tears supplier to a high tech space station for a transplant he couldn’t get on Norfolk. Joshua managed to obtain 1000 tons of Tears as cargo.

In game terms:
Syrinx bought a 400 tons of rare seafood by taking a mission to return with 10% of her cargo at cost. She secured 200 tons of the rare good Norfolk Tears.
Joshua bought 1000 tons of a little known, but not particularly valuable, rare wood by taking a passenger mission (later updated). He took another passenger mission from Norfolk. He secured 1000 tons of the rare good Norfolk Tears.

This could all be fleshed out in the game using existing mechanics. Certainly beats just waiting 10 minutes for maybe getting another piddling allocation.

You're not wrong.
A player group got added to a rare goods system for the sole purpose of blocking the rare good. Noone noticed for 6 months.

The Community Management team ar asleep on the job as far as injecting PMFs.
They came up with a couple of criteria and don’t look beyond that.
It makes me think I should create a bunch of Player Groups and see what problems I can cause through injection.

Game dynamically changes stakes and outcome of player driven scenario. Players come to forums complaining how devs don't understand what they want.

Face. Palm.

"Player driven" and yet not made visible to the players whatsoever. The only way anyone has knowledge of the BGS and connection to rare allocation is by surfing the forums or wiki. And even then, figuring out which missions to take and how much effect they will have is a shot in the dark - all so you can get slightly more commodities per 10-minute tick.

It's obscure and unintuitive. It's terribly annoying, having to sit and wait for 'allocation' ticks. And I think it's lame that rare trading, in functional terms, peters out once you get into a ship larger than a Cobra III.

Given that these are the same devs that still cling to reducing XP to a mere fraction for daring to engage in any multicrew/wing content, in an environment where more and more games grant you *more* XP for playing with others, is it really that hard to understand why people here are complaining about these devs not understanding what they want?

Face. Palm.
Why am I not surprised that you are one that agrees with FD about rare goods being dynamic and exciting.

There is nothing dynamic about getting a piddling allocation every ten minutes, especially so when it can six or more of these pathetic allocations to get a full amount.

There is a tiny dynamic element about states affecting allocations. But with every state except boom reducing or even completely removing the allocation,

"Player driven" and yet not made visible to the players whatsoever. The only way anyone has knowledge of the BGS and connection to rare allocation is by surfing the forums or wiki. And even then, figuring out which missions to take and how much effect they will have is a shot in the dark - all so you can get slightly more commodities per 10-minute tick.
It also takes days to have any effect. So it's pretty much useless during a CG.

Though to a small extent it can be done. For the Tarach Tor/Leesti pair of rares CGs last year, I spent the week before and mst of the CG maintaining the states of the systems involved - mostly just keeping the 10 factions involved out of lockdown, which took a fair bit of effort in such busy systems. I had to start several wars to do this, choosing to reduce the rare good's allocations rather than them being removed altogether.

Top Bottom