What's your favorite ship in VR?

My biggest favs are the Mamba and Courier, I love the open top canopy feel in both ships. The Mamba Cockpit is really nicely detailed, and rather unique muliti level design.
Haven't seen the Guardian Fighter cockpits mentioned yet. They're really wild, and worth unlocking just for the experience.

The Dolphin cockpit has a really nice feel for a low end ship. Much cozier than the Beluga. I disliked the offset pilot chair of the Orca, but it's detailing is nice.
The Adder and Hauler are both interesting low end ships in VR. They feel a lot like the interior design concepts of a modern car.

For ships to view in room scale VR, the Krait MK2, and the FDL both have interesting detailing and design. (although the FDL is not fun to pilot in VR due to offset)
Also, for room scale, the Type 7 and Type 9 are a must experience.

Of the big three, the Imperial Cutter is most interesting, followed by the star wars imperial stylings of the Corvette, and the spacious Anaconda has some nice room scale views.
The smaller Imperial clipper is also a must experience, but I found all the Black and blue neon trim rather hideous. (same went for the python, I grew to hate all the orange.)

Buy the Imp Eagle @Old Duck - it is low-cost enough to be sold with minimal loss - I cannot remember the cockpit in VR but it has been a long time since I've flown one.

Imperial Eagle has a white trimmed version of the normal Eagle Core Dynamics styled cockpit. I liked the white trim of the ImpEagle cockpit in VR, since it makes everything stand out more against the black stars and nebula.

Actually, it was the IClipper that had the worst JJ Abrams effect in VR for me. Black cockpits on black space, with bright blue neon lights could be a little hard to look at. Especially during framerate drops. The Courier has a bit of that lens flare effect, but more of it's cockpit frame around the blue neon is white.

Given the performance increase of the ImpEagle, it's definitely worth finding one to buy.

Last edited:
I can't really say I have one favorite one, liking the Phantom at the moment on my exploration journey.

I do really like my Python, I'm not afraid of going anywhere with it for one thing.

Imperial Eagle has a white trimmed version of the normal Eagle Core Dynamics styled cockpit. I liked the white trim of the ImpEagle cockpit in VR, since it makes everything stand out more against the black stars and nebula.

Actually, it was the IClipper that had the worst JJ Abrams effect in VR for me. Black cockpits on black space, with bright blue neon lights could be a little hard to look at. Especially during framerate drops. The Courier has a bit of that lens flare effect, but more of it's cockpit frame around the blue neon is white.

Given the performance increase of the ImpEagle, it's definitely worth finding one to buy.
I grabbed one last night, just finished engineering it today. I don't like the supernova that's happening under my throttle hand, but otherwise the cockpit is fine. The buff in speed, firepower, and the larger power plant is definitely a nice upgrade. It's also a very sexy-looking ship (I went with a Tactical Graphite paint job for the hull.)

I've yet to test it in combat, but I've been doing good in the original Eagle at the CG (top 25% contributor), so I suspect this will do just fine for me. Flying an Eagle in VR at a RES is an epic experience, an absolute blast!

@Old Duck - Nice!

Yeah, it's definitely one of the faster ships, and the medium hardpoint upgrade is a significant DPS boost. Wait till you start flying a Viper mk3 in combat. It's even quicker and deadlier, though the VR cockpit is a minor downgrade.

Later on, I'd actually suggest the DBX for RES. It'll feel like flying a tank after those two ships, but it's cheap and the large hardpoint can chew up smaller fighters quickly. Plus it has that nice Lakon VR cockpit. I Flew a DBX in combat without engineering because I like a challenge, but some thruster engineering should make it a far more competitive ship. (I'm assuming you haven't already gotten your Vulture or Courier though.)

Graphite Tactical paint scheme is one of my favs on almost all ships as well. I had to put that one on my Cutter. I wish ImpEagle, Viper and Courier had Predator Red! At least ImpEagle can be Chromed!

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
Don't give in to the iEagle - it dilutes the Eagle experience! Clumsy, only slightly faster in combat outfit, not enough juice to proper utilize that medium hardpoint. But most important, an ugly spoiler, no flame paintjob and no ship kit! Can't fly such a substandard ship.

;)

Don't give in to the iEagle - it dilutes the Eagle experience! Clumsy, only slightly faster in combat outfit, not enough juice to proper utilize that medium hardpoint. But most important, an ugly spoiler, no flame paintjob and no ship kit! Can't fly such a substandard ship.
I have an efficient beam on my H2 that I can fire all day if pips are to WEP. My basic Eagle, on the other hand, requires me to power down the FSD when I activate my hardpoints. I don't mind this, as I actually enjoy creative power management.

I do miss the maneuverability of the original Eagle. The iEagle has a much harder time recovering from quick turns and changes in direction. I also prefer the Fed Eagle's cockpit over the white iEagle. Oh, and the iEagle's landing gear is WEIRD - much worse than the spoiler (which actually looks good IMO).

I'll probably keep both and switch based on mood. Right now I'm sharing modules between the two, but someday I'll have both independently engineered.

The Eagle is great in VR. One of my favorites.
The only downer is the boring aft section of the cockpit.
It's just an empty hallway sort of thing..

Python, Cobra, Krait, and Mamba definitely have the best looking bridges.

The Eagle is great in VR. One of my favorites.
The only downer is the boring aft section of the cockpit.
It's just an empty hallway sort of thing..
I'm okay with that for now, since we can't DO anything with these cockpits. I almost prefer sightly plain over "what is this odd panel for" that I get in some ships like my Dolphin. The Eagle is great for things like the holographic display emitters, which is the primary UI of our ships.

I also enjoy walking down that hallway and looking out the side and top canopy glass at the world / stars around me :D

I have an efficient beam on my H2 that I can fire all day if pips are to WEP. My basic Eagle, on the other hand, requires me to power down the FSD when I activate my hardpoints. I don't mind this, as I actually enjoy creative power management.

I do miss the maneuverability of the original Eagle. The iEagle has a much harder time recovering from quick turns and changes in direction. I also prefer the Fed Eagle's cockpit over the white iEagle. Oh, and the iEagle's landing gear is WEIRD - much worse than the spoiler (which actually looks good IMO).

I'll probably keep both and switch based on mood. Right now I'm sharing modules between the two, but someday I'll have both independently engineered.

Yep, no reason to drop either ship over the other. Oddly, maxing out the engineering on either ship can yield different handling characteristics, and a maxxed out eagle could turn better than a ImpEagle in the final analysis. Pro's know the differences between each option and what situations they each work better in.

Yep, no reason to drop either ship over the other. Oddly, maxing out the engineering on either ship can yield different handling characteristics, and a maxxed out eagle could turn better than a ImpEagle in the final analysis. Pro's know the differences between each option and what situations they each work better in.
For me, I prefer my standard Eagle for engaging other small ships, and my iEagle for taking on bigger (slower) targets with stronger shields.

I'm also tempted by the iCourier. I usually play a strict allegiance to just one superpower (currently that is Federation), but I might recant my dogma in light of VR. My alt CMDR flew the iCourier on PS4, and I found it a great little ship even when VR wasn't part of the equation. Decisions, decisions!

Yeah, just depends on if you want to RP your character or not. Although, I found that once I got my Anaconda, it just made sense to go get the rest of the ships. So, I have a "Duke Rear Admiral Toastyr" character now :D

I will say that Imperial Rank is faster to get than Federation though.

This is probably TMI, but in case it helps others looking to unlock various ships, the path I took was:

Stage 1: Starting Cash Grind:
At first, I flew cargo missions in Li Yong Rui space with breaks for farming combat missions when I earned enough for the key combat ships. Cargo missions make far more reliable cash, especially with the Type 7 and Type 9. However, at Mamba/FDL level, I switched over to farming wing combat and regular combat missions until I got my Anaconda.

Stage 2: Guardian farming and Drive engineering
Guardian Jump booster, Shield reinforcement, and power plant are fantastic. I highly recommend unlocking them. The fighters are Meh, but fun for variety. FSD and Power Plant engineering are a must as well. It took a couple casual days of play to collect the long list of components. I used the Anaconda, just cause, and it made for some awesome screenshots.

Stage 3: Federation Grind
I flew the Anaconda in Li Yong Rui federation space doing whatever cargo, combat, and courier missions until I got to FAS rank. After that I headed out to farm courier missions until getting Rear Admiral rank and the Corvette. Took about a week of casual play. At the end, I had enough credits to buy the Corvette outright when I reached the appropriate rank though.

Stage 4: Imperial Grind
Flew the Corvette out in Imperial space farming combat missions until getting to Courier Rank, at which point I switched to flying combat missions with the Courier. Once reaching Clipper rank, I headed out to a good spot to grind out courier missions in the Courier. (go figure). Took about 3-4 days of casual play to reach Duke rank. After that, I used the Corvette to run Polymer to eventually buy the Cutter. (I wasn't about to sell my Corvette.)

Stage 5: Engineering
At this stage, I've been farming credits to outfit the Cutter, and unlocking the rest of the engineers. Next trip is going to be heading out to farm engineering resources.

I notice a few people mentioning the Courier and I've never tried it. Does it have any general stand-out characteristics, e.g. the Viper 3 can be made faaast, the T10 makes a great hull tank, the 'Conda has epic range. On coriolis.io the Courier didn't look anything special to me or have I missed something?

I love the asp x in vr.... The views from the cockpit are amazing
I wish Saud Kruger made a ship with this kind of view. I just watched Rogue One again, and I love the bridge of the fish Admiral's flagship as he looks down at the planet below. It's like the view from the Asp, but inside a posh ship like a Beluga. I'm just not a fan of the Asp in general - it's an ugly ship that makes an ugly noise with a very posh canopy, which is kinda weird. At least my Type-7 feels consistent - it has a big canopy with a great view, but I would not call it posh. Let's just say I use a Russian COVAS with this ship ;)

I think you missed the topic of the thread - the view from the cockpit in VR, something you'll not find in Coriolis.
No, I got that. Hmm, maybe I should've been more specific; something akin to, "Was there any specific motivation to buying the Courier other than for VR enjoyment?". Maybe somewhat antithetical to the topic though. Just curious.

No, I got that. Hmm, maybe I should've been more specific; something akin to, "Was there any specific motivation to buying the Courier other than for VR enjoyment?". Maybe somewhat antithetical to the topic though. Just curious.
I had the Courier on PS4 (my alt account), and I loved it. Ironically my only complaint was the canopy, which felt wrong in 2D (it portrays a smaller cockpit than what it really is), but supposedly is amazing in VR. It's a fast, tough, maneuverable fighter, and I found it fun to fly. I had a fixed beam on the nose and gimballed cannons on the wings, which looked pretty cool (size 2 cannons are my favorite, aesthetically speaking) and packed a decent punch.

I wanted to play my current CMDR as a diehard Federation loyalist who won't be caught dead in an Imperial ship, and I don't know if I'll break my "code" to get an Courier or not.. Right now I'm enjoying the humble but oh so fun to fly Eagle, so I'm in no hurry.

I had the Courier on PS4 (my alt account), and I loved it. Ironically my only complaint was the canopy, which felt wrong in 2D (it portrays a smaller cockpit than what it really is), but supposedly is amazing in VR. It's a fast, tough, maneuverable fighter, and I found it fun to fly. I had a fixed beam on the nose and gimballed cannons on the wings, which looked pretty cool (size 2 cannons are my favorite, aesthetically speaking) and packed a decent punch.

I wanted to play my current CMDR as a diehard Federation loyalist who won't be caught dead in an Imperial ship, and I don't know if I'll break my "code" to get an Courier or not.. Right now I'm enjoying the humble but oh so fun to fly Eagle, so I'm in no hurry.
The Courier, just like the Corvette, makes more 'sense' in VR as 3D depth brings everything back into perspective (The Corvette's raised Bridge is obvious in VR) in comparison to pancake views.
Just get a hold of one for 'espionage' in Imperial Space... That 'supports' your Fed loyalist stance, even if only tenuously :)

I was flying my courier last night in vr. I find the long nose a bit annoying tbh.

The sidewinder is great in vr. You are really sat up out of the ship surface. Super cheap to buy for the experience.

Along with the completely natural headlook I think the cockpits are the best thing about VR. I don't really get that much sense of 3d/scale from stations and planets. Although the srv is fantastic in vr for about 2 min before I get nauseous.

Top Bottom