Horizons Where's the clock

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Why do you need a clock, I thought the missions had countdown timers?

Like it's easier to look at the panel and see 5 minutes left, 6 minutes left etc... than it is try to remember when all your missions started, add a variable x minutes to each one, then work out when each finishes then look at a clock knowing all the times for every mission you've got?

Last edited:
Why is there four pages long discussion about where the clock is?
One in the home screen of station services, other in galaxy map.

Well, I don't know about you but I'm not usually hitching a starport behind me when I'm in open space, looking for that guy that has something to give/take from me...

And galaxy map, on my low spec system, it takes between 20-60 seconds to open. Not really an option...

Last edited:
Sorry, had to...and sorry again that I couldn't find a shorter version.

[video=youtube;Ug75diEyiA0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0[/video]

It really needs to be an option to put a small clock in the cockpit. Right near the fuel indicator would be great.

But you'll have to buy & install a special Space Clock Module, that weights at least 1 t... for Sidewinder, the Anaconda one could be up to 128 t.

Hey, have you heard of the wristwatch? It's this nice little time keeping device that's been around for centuries. It indicates time, amongst other things, and can be set to, oh say GMT time.. put the clock in a place on your wrist (left or right) that you can always quickly eyeball.

Hey, have you heard of the wristwatch? It's this nice little time keeping device that's been around for centuries. It indicates time, amongst other things, and can be set to, oh say GMT time.. put the clock in a place on your wrist (left or right) that you can always quickly eyeball.

You haven't read this thread, have you?

Last edited:

The knowledge of making wristwatches was lost long ago, along with wireless money transfers and autopilot.

Epic fail.

Software development mumbo jumbo aside, if you incorporate missions that are time sensitive or time relative....you add a freaking clock...period.

FD are not very good with thinking and planning ahead, which is evident from the way they implemented HUD colors. It's not as if nobody could have foreseen that color customization would be something people would want at some point (that's a lot of "would"s, sorry)... yet they made it incredibly difficult to do.

Convenience features in particular are something they seem to be struggling with. Sometimes it feels as if Braben & Co., just as many of their "'84-Veteran" Fans, have never managed to to move forward with the changing times from the early 80's gameplay, where notepad and pencil and every out-of-game help you could get your fingers on was desperately needed.

I hope they wake up at some point and realize there is more to making a game in the 21st century.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

And galaxy map, on my low spec system, it takes between 20-60 seconds to open. Not really an option...

That doesn't have anything to do with your PC being low-spec. Mine exceeds all requirements for Horizons, and it still takes too long.

You haven't read this thread, have you?

No, just the first page.. I'm sorry your brain can't side-track to that part of the thread.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Epic fail.

It's actually people who use those two words,
that are the true failure of humanity.
You live only to win and to see all the others fail.
And all the others live the same way

This idiotic idea that life is a competition
and that you have to be better than the other guy
at the cost of truth, my friend. That's what's keeping us all down.

Thanks for influencing this world, our world, like you do,.

That doesn't have anything to do with your PC being low-spec. Mine exceeds all requirements for Horizons, and it still takes too long.

It has everything to do with a low spec PC, my main monster rig takes 2 seconds max, my peice of crap laptop can take up to 15 seconds..

Edit - Just opened the gal map via voice attack.. it opened instantly. system map is another story..

Last edited:
I personally don't understand why there people are who are AGAINST this request? What's with all the smart-alecky remarks about watches and phones et al?

It's almost a non-issue - cars have clocks, the Galaxy Map has a clock, what's the problem with putting that clock on the dash? Right now all the snide remarks about wall clocks and wrist watches etc are just kludges.

If they (FD) wanna make money out of it, put that clock as a cabin accessory and sell it. Some of us would buy it (Buckyballers probably :D ).

Last edited:
I personally don't understand why there people are who are AGAINST this request? What's with all the smart-alecky remarks about watches and phones et al?
Some folks just like to be contrary. The effective if draconian moderation policy works to keep full-blown flame wars out of these forums (or at least makes them very short-lived) so snide sniping tends to be the favoured MO.

If they (FD) wanna make money out of it, put that clock as a cabin accessory and sell it. Some of us would buy it (Buckyballers probably :D ).
That would be a popcorn and beer moment and then some. Half the community ranting in the forum about how "we won't stand for being gouged" while the other half throw money at the store. Please do this, FD. :D

I have an antique breitling which i never wear as its 1945, solid gold and inherited from grandad. I only wear it playing ED as I can get lost in time and space playing this game and before I know it wifeys in bed and its 2am and I have to get up at 7. So for mercy sake. GIVE US A CLOCK ON THE DASHBOARD.

It has everything to do with a low spec PC, my main monster rig takes 2 seconds max, my peice of crap laptop can take up to 15 seconds..

Edit - Just opened the gal map via voice attack.. it opened instantly. system map is another story..

Are you implying that we all need to upgrade to "monster rigs" to have a decent performance? If so, I'm out!

Last edited:
The lag when opening up the system map seems pretty universal regardless of computer system running the game.
May be due to having to download the system data into the client and then generating all the planetary bodies of the selected system.
- it depends on your connection more than the computer itself (but cpu does have impact while generating the system)
The basic Gal map...on the other hand, is resident in the client and should pop fairly quickly.

Last edited:
The lag when opening up the system map seems pretty universal regardless of computer system running the game.
May be due to having to download the system data into the client and then generating all the planetary bodies of the selected system.
- it depends on your connection more than the computer itself (but cpu does have impact while generating the system)
The basic Gal map...on the other hand, is resident in the client and should pop fairly quickly.

I have a 75Mbps/75Mbps fiber optic internet connection. You're telling me it's not enough?

It certainly seems like enough... but there are two sides to that story.
Your pipe and their server.
At one point, before Horizons Beta, the systems map popped much like the gal map does now... Since, not so much.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom