Wheres the Tutorial?

"Since the festive month of December is soon upon us, we are preparing a special holiday update for you! This free content update will be like an early Christmas present for our beloved community. It's going to be filled with a variety of goodies...."

This is a quote from the Christmas update announcement you linked above.

If this doesn't sound like the company acts like it is doing us a favor by adding new rides, while completely ignoring every technical and design issue raised since release, I don't know what does. They're not fixing anything. or even promising to fix anything. Just what we need, a third ferris wheel. Seriously, do they really think this is something people want? We're trying to make theme parks here, not county fairs. Have you seen a ferris wheel in any Disney park, or Universal or Six Flags, never mind 3 different kinds.

You want to give us a treat, how about letting us create our own filters in My Blueprints...or letting us build tracks on paths. Or letting paths cross over each other? Give us a linear transportation system like the skyway thing in RCT3 or at least a turnaround for transport rides so we don't have to circle the entire park perimeter. That, to me, would be a decent update. Make a pathing system that doesn't act like a drunk snake every time I want to connect two paths. Let us put down shops and facilities anywhere, including paths and get rid of the autopathing to shops. It's irritating and restricting.

They are acting just like Blizzard does with World of Warcraft. The blow smoke up our exhaust convincing us they're giving us something really cool while totally ignoring issues that were raised all the way back in beta. After 12 years, there are issues in that game that have never been resolved. I know many people who have stopped playing WoW because of it, myself included.

Truth of the matter is that there are "issues" with every game. WoW, one of, if not thee biggest, game success story in history will always have issues. The last time I played was in 2009, and the game still had plenty of "issues". It boils down to if you're having enough fun to continue playing. That goes for any game... as a game is supposed to be a "fun" distraction to reality. I agree with many of your points regarding usability and the way the simulation functions on the whole.

PC may be a game I shelve until I start to see some major improvements to the simulation. I love theme park games, and the graphical base is fantastic... the simulation is really lacking in many aspects.

You want to give us a treat, how about letting us create our own filters in My Blueprints...or letting us build tracks on paths. Or letting paths cross over each other? Give us a linear transportation system like the skyway thing in RCT3 or at least a turnaround for transport rides so we don't have to circle the entire park perimeter. That, to me, would be a decent update. Make a pathing system that doesn't act like a drunk snake every time I want to connect two paths. Let us put down shops and facilities anywhere, including paths and get rid of the autopathing to shops. It's irritating and restricting.

[sour]

Are you having a bad day, or is whining another area of expertise?

> "I think it's safe to say that most of us know that this game wasn't finished"

I think version 1.0 was quite solid where it counted. Much improved over alpha with more content and more functionality. Version 1.0 is solid enough that many people can build parks, publish to youtube, and generally have a good time with this software. Apparently some people don't like the management side. Fine, then make that suggestion with an appropriate response, not some rant aimed at the company with all kinds of accusations about their conduct.

I've seen plenty of passionate, critical, heated user opinions on forums like Modo or Lightwave forums, or forums for professional software people have paid hundreds of dollars for but feeling short changed. That's when you might be more justified in getting up on your horse. But this is a $50 game here. We're not building coasters to make a living.

Windows NT was an awful OS btw, I don't know why you would mention that. Wait.. let me re-read... oh, I see, you were qualifying the claim about being a computer expert. I see.

You want to build a track on a path? Elevate the track. That's how you'd see it in reality. You won't see a "track on a path" anywhere, that makes no sense from an engineering or design point of view. Machines go on tracks, people on paths. That's a safety thing. You can tunnel under tracks, you can build a bridge over a track, you can elevate paths on top of other paths, but that's not enough? I for one am interested in the developers working on good ideas, not bad ones.

[sour]

Are you having a bad day, or is whining another area of expertise?

> "I think it's safe to say that most of us know that this game wasn't finished"

I think version 1.0 was quite solid where it counted. Much improved over alpha with more content and more functionality. Version 1.0 is solid enough that many people can build parks, publish to youtube, and generally have a good time with this software. Apparently some people don't like the management side. Fine, then make that suggestion with an appropriate response, not some rant aimed at the company with all kinds of accusations about their conduct.

I've seen plenty of passionate, critical, heated user opinions on forums like Modo or Lightwave forums, or forums for professional software people have paid hundreds of dollars for but feeling short changed. That's when you might be more justified in getting up on your horse. But this is a $50 game here. We're not building coasters to make a living.

Windows NT was an awful OS btw, I don't know why you would mention that. Wait.. let me re-read... oh, I see, you were qualifying the claim about being a computer expert. I see.

You want to build a track on a path? Elevate the track. That's how you'd see it in reality. You won't see a "track on a path" anywhere, that makes no sense from an engineering or design point of view. Machines go on tracks, people on paths. That's a safety thing. You can tunnel under tracks, you can build a bridge over a track, you can elevate paths on top of other paths, but that's not enough? I for one am interested in the developers working on good ideas, not bad ones.

I find your comments to be rude, insulting and condescending. If you disagree with my opinion you are certainly within your rights, but you are not in your rights to insult me or accuse me of something childish like whining without doing it to my face. Only a coward does that.

My comments were based on my observations. They were my opinions and I don't expect people to agree with them. But adults discuss disagreements, not call each other names or cast aspersions on their competence.

And you are entitled to your opinion about Windows NT, although I don't know what you base it on because, it was very stable as a GUI based OS in an open architecture environment unlike MacIntosh which was proprietary and closed. And its kernel has been the basis for every OS since Windows 2000. But to imply that MCSE's were not computer experts at that time, is arrogant to the extreme and I have to assume you are not a fan of Microsoft at all and were or still are a Unix professional or a Mac user. But that is a discussion for another forum, not this one. I will grant the the later MCSE program was suspect because the answers to all the questions were and still are available online so the student actually doesn't need hands on experience with it. But that wasn't the case when I took the exams in 1998.

Since all ground cover in this game is paths, except for the basic terrain, my comment regarding the inability to place tracks on paths is valid. I cannot, for example, have a road down Main Street with a transport ride on it. I have to have a wide swath of grass down the middle which totally ruins the effect. Having something like path covers or the ability to paint any kind of terrain, like asphalt or concrete would solve that issue and a lot of issues related to paths. I can understand in older games with low resolutions why paths were necessary to determine where peeps could go. But in real theme parks there are few paths, per se. There is ground cover that people walk on, but it doesn't take the shape of straight or even curved lines for the most part. Fences, walls, and foliage could be used to limit where peeps could walk. Paths wouldn't be needed for that purpose.

I have to retract one comment I made, however. It seems you CAN elevate paths over each other. The one time I tried it, I got an "obstructed" message but apparently that was related to something else. So I was wrong in that criticism. But I stand by my comments regarding the way paths intersect with each other and the restrictions of not being able to place shops on paths as well as the dearth of path scenery items.

I think version 1.0 was quite solid where it counted. Much improved over alpha with more content and more functionality.

One would hope that the released versions was significantly improved over the alpha, which in some things, wasn't the case at all. In alpha, we could select multiple scenery objects and copy them. That ability no longer is featured. You could rotate objects in the grid allowing for diagonals. That feature was removed from the released version.

"Version 1.0 is solid enough that many people can build parks, publish to youtube, and generally have a good time with this software"

So what you are essentially saying is that it's just another basic theme park game instead of the revolutionary, ultimate theme park simulation we were told to expect which doesn't even have most of the loved features of RCT3. So I guess we can expect another Sims situation where we have to pay more to get the same features the previous game had. Considering the relatively low price of the game, I suppose you have a valid point. I just hoped for much more. And I'm sure many others did too.

Forgive my cynicism, but I found it hard to accept that the company had any intention of making serious changes to the game when they only allowed one week between the beginning of beta testing and release. To my knowledge, no company has ever done that before. And the fact that they only plan to add new rides, (although a 3d ferris wheel hardly qualifies as new) to their first update after release doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence.

And the fact that they only plan to add new rides, (although a 3d ferris wheel hardly qualifies as new) to their first update after release doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence.

Says who? They've stated the update will include several things. I suspect more than just the odd ride or 2 will be implemented over the coming months.

EDIT: case in point this thread:

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/17496-Updates-and-“A-Huge-Thank-You”-competition

Last edited:
Personally I find your entire tone condescending and belittling to the fantastic work and effort the Developers have put into this game. You want to voice an opinion, fine, but don't go around accusing them of having a mindset of "so what if it isn't finished, we'll do a few patches, then start doing paid DLC. These suckers will pay thru the nose for new stuff."

I have seen no indication of this at all and I have been playing since Alpha 1. Maybe it isn't totally to your liking, but what game will ever please everyone. Let's be realistic here. Game development is a business and as such have to make money in order to support the people and their families, it is not a charity where everything is free. Sure they released the game just 6 days ago, but that is pretty much marketing strategy in everything to maximize the holiday sales, and I don't blame them in the least.

I have not seen any cases where Frontier was dishonest or deceitful, quite the opposite in my opinion letting us know everything possible when the time is right. If you think that there is any game developer or publishing company that has that mind set as well as being deceitful and dishonest you only have to look to Atari and Nvizzio with their *cough* game.

EDIT:

I just found this: https://forums.planetcoaster.com/sh...ge-Thank-You”-competition?p=141434#post141434

Last edited:
Yeouch! Some people on this thread make FinalMantasyX look positively angelic! (Sorry FMX I actually don't think you're a bad guy I've had fun discussing the game with you just couldn't resist a jab). Let's all be nice. Not just to each other but to the developers too. It's quite possible to make your point without resorting to insults, accusations and the like.

In view of the very recent post by Frontier regarding tomorrow's update, I have to eat a lot of crow. Not having heard anything since launch or seen any updates, as we did during beta, I incorrectly assumed that they were not planning any recent changes. And the announcement of a new flat ride, with no mention of bug fixes or game changes didn't make me any more confident. However, as I just said, my attitude was premature. And for that I apologize to the developers and the fans of the game. (of which I also count myself, believe it or not.)

As I said in my previous posts, I'm a cynic when it comes to corporations. I have my reasons..they are personal and I won't go into them here. However, I'm convinced that Frontier is breaking the mold. They have been very open and fair with the community. I have every confidence that they will continue to improve this game and eventually it will be the ultimate theme park builder and simulation.
I still contend that a game released a few days after beta ends isn't finished, but then again, maybe it never will be. Like WDW it will continue to grow and expand.

Parkmaker said "but don't go around accusing them of having a mindset of "so what if it isn't finished, we'll do a few patches, then start doing paid DLC. These suckers will pay thru the nose for new stuff."

Please take note of my actual comments:

I'm am very sure that the developers of the game itself are dedicated people who really want to make the best possible gaming experience for their customers. And if this were 1990, this game probably wouldn't come out till next spring. But it's not 1990. And the corporate mindset today seems to be "so what if it isn't finished, we'll do a few patches, then start doing paid DLC. These suckers will pay thru the nose for new stuff. "
If you don't believe that, look at the new Sims4 expansion. $40 for an xpac. $19.99 for a stuff pack. And people lap it up like dogs at a water bowl.
The fact is that the game is still in beta, despite the release hype. And we paid to test it for them. It remains to be seen if the game will actually live up to the hype.

I never accused Frontier of that attitude, only that it is a common one in the gaming community, which I'm sure most people won't argue with. You will notice I used EA as an example.
And I said I will take a "wait and see" attitude. My use of the term "seems to be" means that this is what I perceive. Based on their recent post, I'm happy to see that I was wrong.

I sincerely want to see this game become the ultimate theme park simulation as do all of you I'm sure. But I will continue to point out what I think needs to be changed or added, but I will try to do it a little more graciously.

Last edited:
I find your comments to be rude, insulting and condescending. If you disagree with my opinion you are certainly within your rights, but you are not in your rights to insult me or accuse me of something childish like whining without doing it to my face. Only a coward does that.

My comments were based on my observations. They were my opinions and I don't expect people to agree with them. But adults discuss disagreements, not call each other names or cast aspersions on their competence.

And you are entitled to your opinion about Windows NT, although I don't know what you base it on because, it was very stable as a GUI based OS in an open architecture environment unlike MacIntosh which was proprietary and closed. And its kernel has been the basis for every OS since Windows 2000. But to imply that MCSE's were not computer experts at that time, is arrogant to the extreme and I have to assume you are not a fan of Microsoft at all and were or still are a Unix professional or a Mac user. But that is a discussion for another forum, not this one. I will grant the the later MCSE program was suspect because the answers to all the questions were and still are available online so the student actually doesn't need hands on experience with it. But that wasn't the case when I took the exams in 1998.

Since all ground cover in this game is paths, except for the basic terrain, my comment regarding the inability to place tracks on paths is valid. I cannot, for example, have a road down Main Street with a transport ride on it. I have to have a wide swath of grass down the middle which totally ruins the effect. Having something like path covers or the ability to paint any kind of terrain, like asphalt or concrete would solve that issue and a lot of issues related to paths. I can understand in older games with low resolutions why paths were necessary to determine where peeps could go. But in real theme parks there are few paths, per se. There is ground cover that people walk on, but it doesn't take the shape of straight or even curved lines for the most part. Fences, walls, and foliage could be used to limit where peeps could walk. Paths wouldn't be needed for that purpose.

I have to retract one comment I made, however. It seems you CAN elevate paths over each other. The one time I tried it, I got an "obstructed" message but apparently that was related to something else. So I was wrong in that criticism. But I stand by my comments regarding the way paths intersect with each other and the restrictions of not being able to place shops on paths as well as the dearth of path scenery items.

I think version 1.0 was quite solid where it counted. Much improved over alpha with more content and more functionality.

One would hope that the released versions was significantly improved over the alpha, which in some things, wasn't the case at all. In alpha, we could select multiple scenery objects and copy them. That ability no longer is featured. You could rotate objects in the grid allowing for diagonals. That feature was removed from the released version.

"Version 1.0 is solid enough that many people can build parks, publish to youtube, and generally have a good time with this software"

So what you are essentially saying is that it's just another basic theme park game instead of the revolutionary, ultimate theme park simulation we were told to expect which doesn't even have most of the loved features of RCT3. So I guess we can expect another Sims situation where we have to pay more to get the same features the previous game had. Considering the relatively low price of the game, I suppose you have a valid point. I just hoped for much more. And I'm sure many others did too.

Forgive my cynicism, but I found it hard to accept that the company had any intention of making serious changes to the game when they only allowed one week between the beginning of beta testing and release. To my knowledge, no company has ever done that before. And the fact that they only plan to add new rides, (although a 3d ferris wheel hardly qualifies as new) to their first update after release doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence.

I agree in anything. I think most of the mincecraft building teens nowerdays dont give a damn about lacking gameplay, broken promises or unfinished games. PC at release wasn't the game promised. It is compared to what RCT 1-3, Theme Park and other games delivered in the past really a bad joke. Not that its bad looking or the sound wouldn't be fantastic.... also I love every detail I see on rides etc.

But it's not finished, not even close. It's rushed out. Its a shame. And I can not be happy about any "free content", because I feel there has to be so much more in the game from the start....

Last edited:
Well, it seems to be common that young people have been conditioned to not expect much for their hard-earned dollars (if they even earned them themselves) and companies are happy to accommodate their expectations. That doesn't appear to be the case with Frontier, for which I am grateful.

More and more game companies are limiting how users can play their games. People discover an "exploit'" that lets them bypass tedious game mechanics to progress, and in the next update, it disappears. This is expected for multi-player games and MMOS, but it even happens in single player games as well. I am not saying this applies to Frontier because they have basically left users alone to explore their creativity, with some design limitations which I've previously questioned. To be fair, these might be limitations of the engine used in the game, with which I'm not familiar.

you are not in your rights to insult me or accuse me of something childish like whining without doing it to my face..... adults discuss disagreements, not call each other names or cast aspersions on their competence.

[weird]

If we were invited by Frontier to a meeting to discuss this game like adults, and you went on a big rant about the suits at game companies with their marketing agendas and the "suckers" who buy the DLC and the "UI is a disaster" and it's unfinished and "back in my day" and "Windows NT" and "I'm a computer expert".... Well, I'm sorry but I'd call you out on whining. To your face.

My comments were based on my observations

Your comments are based on a lot more than observations. For example, we can't observe young people becoming conditioned to not expecting value for money. You're just taking a swipe at young people. Somehow they're partly responsible for what you believe is a shame of modern software companies. Not like back in the day, of course.

This is a forum about a game, not about our world views and grumpy concerns. I have a few grumpy world views of my own, about some games particularly native apps looking like cheap casino gaming lounges for their in-app gold coin spruiking. But this isn't the place for that. I don't know which post I'm more alarmed at, yours or the one about patch notes in the other thread. I mean... the time spent bashing out these essays could be spent helping new users, or building parks and coasters! Which is where I'm off too now. Good luck, I'm unsubscribing from this thread. [up]

[weird]

If we were invited by Frontier to a meeting to discuss this game like adults, and you went on a big rant about the suits at game companies with their marketing agendas and the "suckers" who buy the DLC and the "UI is a disaster" and it's unfinished and "back in my day" and "Windows NT" and "I'm a computer expert".... Well, I'm sorry but I'd call you out on whining. To your face.

Your comments are based on a lot more than observations. For example, we can't observe young people becoming conditioned to not expecting value for money. You're just taking a swipe at young people. Somehow they're partly responsible for what you believe is a shame of modern software companies. Not like back in the day, of course.

This is a forum about a game, not about our world views and grumpy concerns. I have a few grumpy world views of my own, about some games particularly native apps looking like cheap casino gaming lounges for their in-app gold coin spruiking. But this isn't the place for that. I don't know which post I'm more alarmed at, yours or the one about patch notes in the other thread. I mean... the time spent bashing out these essays could be spent helping new users, or building parks and coasters! Which is where I'm off too now. Good luck, I'm unsubscribing from this thread. [up]

Seems to me you are just the kind of generation not expecting value for money. You dont expect money for your work?? You have much fun with a "full" game that is still in beta state .... But you (we) are paying for it, not getting paid to beta test it.... like it used to be. ... I think I got the point.

[weird]

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said young people were responsible for the shame of modern software companies. I said they have been conditioned to accepting pretty much any kind of what I consider to be greedy and unscrupulous behavior by software companies. I'm saying it's not their fault, this is the world they are growing up in.

As for the UI being a disaster, let me ask a few questions.:

Do you believe that the Blueprint filter system is adequate?
Do you like having to type in a keyword in the search box in My Blueprints, and then having to do it again after you close it?
Do you think that in My Blueprints, having 2 subcategories for buildings is adequate, when the game generated blueprints have multiple subcategories, including themes which are conspicuously absent from My Blueprints.
Are you ok with huge dialogs which are mostly blank space taking up 2/3 of the screen?
Are you ok with unmovable dialogs that can't be resized?
If you are ok with all these things, then my argument is not going to affect you. But frankly, I'm not. I expect at least the basic capabilities almost every application made for Windows has.
These aren't things you fix with patches. These are things that should be inherent in the game design from the beginning.

Many people on this forum have stated that in their opinion the game is not finished. I wasn't the first and I probably won't be the last.

And I CAN observe that young people have been conditioned to accept less for their money, because I've been watching the gaming world since it began. Perhaps, I should have said people, but it's been my experience that the younger players are less offended by the way the gaming world cuts corners and basically shafts the public than we older players.

Again, I'm not accusing Frontier of doing this. My comments regarding corporate attitudes was a generality which you should have understood because you are obviously an intelligent person and probably well educated as well. Nobody gets offended if Ubisoft or EA are accused of this behavior. So why is stating what most people are well aware of considered a rant. I never said "I"m sick and tired of" or " this really ❤︎❤︎❤︎❤︎es me off" or anything that might have indicated anger. I was strictly stating my opinion. You call it whining. I call it a criticism. And by the way you missed three very important words in that quote: "seems to be." That indicates an observation. It's an opinion. You can disagree with it, but don't attack me for having it.

I do help other people on other threads. I try to answer their questions, IF I know the answer myself. I do this for other games as well. And I do build parks and coasters, which is why I make the comments I do because I'm constantly running into issues, like those above, that make park design more of a chore than it should be.

If I were to be invited to a meeting with Frontier, I would tell them exactly what I think. I probably wouldn't use the word "disaster" to describe the UI but I certainly would let them know what I think are its shortcomings.

I don't believe I ever used the phrase "back in the day." I try to avoid that particular phrase because of my father's constant "back in my day" lectures.

As for the patch notes. They are basically nonexistent. They tell us they're fixing bugs, but not which ones, so how are we to know what has been fixed? Blizzard, for example, in any game, releases patch notes weeks before the patch is active listing every change made. What we are getting from Frontier qualifies more as press releases than patch notes. Even shareware creators make lists of changes with each update.

You seem to take my comments personally since you don't attack my arguments, but me personally. Did I insult you personally with my criticisms?
Are you one of the developers? Since I haven't seen any responses to any of these criticisms made by others as well, not just me, I doubt it. In fact, I haven't seen Frontier respond to any issues with anything but vague promises and generalities, since the forum began back in alpha, although I admit I haven't read every thread on the forum so they may have elsewhere.\

By the way, do you ever actually plan to challenge my observations or are you just offended because I say them and I am a senior citizen and therefore not worth listening to?

Last edited:
Wish there were better tutorials also, just started and don't actually know where to start!

If you don't mid watching some videos head on over to the official channel for their basics, then maybe watch some of the Youtubers videos, Ctop has some cool tutorial vids...

So, nearly 8 months since the last post on this thread. I just picked this game up, as it has been on my 'wish' list for awhile. I have very little money to blow on games, and Roller Coaster Tycoon type games are high on my list.

I get the game and can't wait while I boot it up, only to stare blankly at a screen which gives you zero guidance on how to begin. No "Tutorial" of any sort. I figure I'll try a challenge. Immediately overwhelmed and no clue what to do. I go to sandbox, and that at least looks a little familiar. Cannot figure out how to pan the camera "UP" for a top down view of what I am working on. Grab a coaster from blueprints, slap it down in the middle of a field.

All exuberance and anticipation I had for getting the game for months drained in a few moments. I have zero interest in leaving the game to go wade through Youtube advertising to watch a video where I am doing nothing but observing.

Came excited, left vastly disappointed. This game goes onto the shelf of Steam games that I never play and I'll start saving towards something else.

So, nearly 8 months since the last post on this thread. I just picked this game up, as it has been on my 'wish' list for awhile. I have very little money to blow on games, and Roller Coaster Tycoon type games are high on my list.

I get the game and can't wait while I boot it up, only to stare blankly at a screen which gives you zero guidance on how to begin. No "Tutorial" of any sort. I figure I'll try a challenge. Immediately overwhelmed and no clue what to do. I go to sandbox, and that at least looks a little familiar. Cannot figure out how to pan the camera "UP" for a top down view of what I am working on. Grab a coaster from blueprints, slap it down in the middle of a field.

All exuberance and anticipation I had for getting the game for months drained in a few moments. I have zero interest in leaving the game to go wade through Youtube advertising to watch a video where I am doing nothing but observing.

Came excited, left vastly disappointed. This game goes onto the shelf of Steam games that I never play and I'll start saving towards something else.

Out of interest did you get a box at the top left of the screen with the keyboard shortcuts? If not they are all in one place.

Shane

Sorry to hear that.

I can see why these kinds of games can be a bit overwhelming for new players, but the game does have some tutorials tho, as well as hints and tips that pop up, explaining the controls when playing the game (these can be disabled but are enabled by default). The different mechanics can be complex and require some effort and dedication to understand, and if you don't like that the game just isn't for you.

But I think an actual tutorial mode (not just videos and popups), or better yet a campaign mode, would be a great addition to the game. Like, it would explain the different mechanics while actually playing the game, starting with the bare basics and slowly expanding while progressing through the campaign.

Last edited:
I haven't read all the entries in this thread but I agree it is not ideal with youtube videos. I dislike youtube videos because often it is poorly subtitles or not subtitles at all (deaf here) and I prefer tutorials to actually be hand on, it is the best, like place here, press this button, etc.. And after that, I prefer text help, with text and pictures. There I can skim to find the area I need help with. It can be shown in a box ingame.

Many of us have been here since alpha and have learnt the game by bits and pieces since then. But I understand if it is overwhelming being a new user. I guess it has been prioritized low because people wants to have stuffffff. Which I also want to have. :D [haha]

Top Bottom