Game Discussions Whiskey's Guide to Not Being Salty

1) Become Acquainted and Comfortable with Death

Chances are, you're going to die.

Fortunately for you, your space pixels weren't anything of real value to begin with.

As the rest of t he point I can somewhat agree with, above part not so much.
My pixels are actually worth my time, effort (I put in in obtaining those pixels) and enjoyment (I get from those pixels). If I loose them because of... well, the outcome is based on the reason. Entering CZ and picking a target BEORE picking a side and having my stern handed to me on a plate is a learninc curve and valued experience. No issues here.

But being destroyed by a station for murder when you ram-kill a pirate that dropped in his Hauler before my Anaconda, while 2km away from the station - I call biowaste. NPCs aren't allowed that but persistent interdictgion script caused a glitch after which I lost ship, cargo and rep. Luckily FDEVs agreed with me and restored my loses.

2) Lower Your Expectations

The Gnosis was botched. Anticipate more of the same. And do not expect Space Legs to change this experience all that much.

Now that's unhealthy and dangerous approach as you agree in advance with mediocrity. It's short way down to total mess. FDEVs release anotehr content that is bugged and unplayable. Pfft, it was expected. Engineering/economy/combat/mining/exploration/whatever gets another update - similar to recent supply/demand mechanics on minerals. Update causes massive problems and confusion. Pfft, it was expected.

FDEVs do not get negative feedback, they think all is ok. They develop another update/content that break things even more. From here it's short course to disaster. Game gets worse and worse. Really bad advice.

Instead of lowering your expectations - make them more realistic. Said space legs - do not expect it to be remedium for all problems, more like new feature that opens new possibilities. But for all that is dear to you - do not lower your expectations.

3) Set Your Own Goals

I did that and this is why I'm still behind.

#1 wanted to build big killing machine of death and eliminate wanted ships in bulk.
  • can't because ship costs 150M and I get 20k per mission (early days, now i can afford and already have that ship)
  • can't because ship is rank locked and I am required to perform obscured, long and tedious rank unlock (currently past that)
  • can't because ship requires A-rated modules where single module costs more than ship itself (in theory I can afford doing so but it would consume all of my reserves and I have 20 other ships that require similar treatment)
  • can't because engineering is mandatory and I haven't unlocked them yet

And even if I do all of the above:
- can't because FDEVs sue to player power influx due to engineering "cheated" NPCs so they are now bullet sponges and operate at peak efficiency spamming various countermeasures right and left despite half their systems are dead.

Salty AF but it's true - setting your own goals help a bit. Tho it's not that simple "because you can". To some basic point it's true, past that reality hits with all the salt behind.

I'll become enraged and rampage around the city of Tokyo destroying things with my meaty fists and atomic breath, sure, but that's their problem.

Hey, not the Tokyo. At least hold until I get back from there. Been planning this journey for 2 years, few weeks before departure and you want to wreak it? Now that would bring tons of salt.

While salt and whiskey might not be a good combination, salt and chocolate is! Haven't tried salty chocolate in combination with whiskey, though.

I'll become enraged and rampage around the city of Tokyo destroying things with my meaty fists and atomic breath, sure, but that's their problem.
Hey, not the Tokyo. At least hold until I get back from there. Been planning this journey for 2 years, few weeks before departure and you want to wreak it? Now that would bring tons of salt.
Agreed! not Tokyo please, for once in my life I want to walk up to Meiji in person, still working on it, but, I really want to! So please, not Tokyo

My pixels are actually worth my time, effort (I put in in obtaining those pixels) and enjoyment (I get from those pixels). If I loose them because of... well, the outcome is based on the reason. Entering CZ and picking a target BEFORE picking a side and having my stern handed to me on a plate is a learninc curve and valued experience. No issues here.

But being destroyed by a station for murder when you ram-kill a pirate that dropped in his Hauler before my Anaconda, while 2km away from the station - I call biowaste.
I'm not sure about this particular ram debacle, but consider this broader notion.

The reason Tibetan Buddhist monks destroy sand mandalas after they make them is because the act of destroying them represents impermanence, which is unavoidable. Again, you were out in the ocean, and a shark came by. Some things happened, you submitted a ticket, and you got your stuff back. Sweet. And even if you hadn't, that's 5% of the total value? No need for salt here. The reason it seems illogical to me to be salty about this is that it was, all things considered, a somewhat minor inconvenience. Given all the positive experiences you've had out in the ocean, were these missing toes really worth being salty about? Unhappy. Perturbed. Unimpressed. All of these are perfectly fine things to be. But not salty. Again, you were in the ocean. It happened. How you deal with it is what's important. After all, it was a fleeting experience.

Now that's unhealthy and dangerous approach as you agree in advance with mediocrity.
I prefer to think of it as having measured and realistic expectations of people based on observation and experience.

It's short way down to total mess. FDEVs release anotehr content that is bugged and unplayable. Pfft, it was expected. Engineering/economy/combat/mining/exploration/whatever gets another update - similar to recent supply/demand mechanics on minerals. Update causes massive problems and confusion. Pfft, it was expected.

FDEVs do not get negative feedback, they think all is ok. They develop another update/content that break things even more. From here it's short course to disaster. Game gets worse and worse. Really bad advice.
Has any of the negative feedback fundamentally changed who they are and how they approach development and community interaction all that much? It's on us to gauge their ability to deliver on short-term promises and their grand vision. It's also on us to walk away if and when we get bored.

• can't because ship costs 150M and I get 20k per mission (early days, now i can afford and already have that ship)
  • can't because ship is rank locked and I am required to perform obscured, long and tedious rank unlock (currently past that)
  • can't because ship requires A-rated modules where single module costs more than ship itself (in theory I can afford doing so but it would consume all of my reserves and I have 20 other ships that require similar treatment)
  • can't because engineering is mandatory and I haven't unlocked them yet

Newer players should consider doing some mining. It's very relaxing and highly profitable. Either that, or stick to a grind that you enjoy. In all fairness, like anything in life, you have to gather up the scrap if you plan on ever having a heap of your own.

it's not that simple "because you can". To some basic point it's true, past that reality hits with all the salt behind.
Of course it's that simple. Enjoying a thing for what it is? Well, that's joyful. Allowing contempt for what it isn't to fester in you is how salt is made. Add to that all the fake salt that people sprinkle around just to make the salt pile bigger and we're practically drowning in the stuff.

Drowning. In salt.

Fine. I'll just have to find some other city that we kaiju like to demolish. I'm open to suggestions.

I run into a lot of this "FDev should have done this, done that" by back seat game developers constantly. Salty you might say. But this is a wonderful game. It could have been more, surely, but it is still quite a thing.
That's absolutely true. It is quite a thing. Maybe some day it will be more, and that'll be nice. And if we ever find ourselves unhappy with the way things are going, well, there's always another experience out there. I still like this one though.

Last edited:
Nice OP. I was grumpy with the game once. Then I discovered short range blaster thermal conduit plasma accelerators. "That's a very nice shiny FdL you've got the Mr Spec Ops Alpha. Shall we spend a couple of minutes melting it into slag."

I think sometimes it does get lost that it's a slow burn game that needs practice and patience. It's taken me 2 years to work out ship builds that I like and learn how to actually fly them effectively. I don't think I have one ship which is fully engineered either. So I think my enjoyment has come from taking my time doing stuff.

New content is sorely needed, but my thought on that is that if I get bored there's other games out there. Q4 will be along soon enough (unless fleet carriers have a planet cracking laser option. Unlikely, but you never know...). But yeah, enjoy the game for what it is and don't let the inanimate object dictate your feelings.

Now, back to spinning the prayer wheel.
Thankfully I don't mind the grind. ;)

Nice OP. I was grumpy with the game once. Then I discovered short range blaster thermal conduit plasma accelerators. "That's a very nice shiny FdL you've got the Mr Spec Ops Alpha. Shall we spend a couple of minutes melting it into slag."

I think sometimes it does get lost that it's a slow burn game that needs practice and patience. It's taken me 2 years to work out ship builds that I like and learn how to actually fly them effectively. I don't think I have one ship which is fully engineered either. So I think my enjoyment has come from taking my time doing stuff.

New content is sorely needed, but my thought on that is that if I get bored there's other games out there. Q4 will be along soon enough (unless fleet carriers have a planet cracking laser option. Unlikely, but you never know...). But yeah, enjoy the game for what it is and don't let the inanimate object dictate your feelings.
What a great mindset. You're doing it. You're living the unsalted dream. Nice. (y)

The reason Tibetan Buddhist monks destroy sand mandalas after they make them is because the act of destroying them represents impermanence, which is unavoidable.

Head that feeling but your whole reply confirmed it - you just Zen approach all of this.

To be clear, I play games long enough to really stop caring much about what happens in game and with development. I do not hype myself over new games, new features in thise games, etc. I also do not tear my robes out of frustration because soemthing isn't working as I wish it would. Good things happen? Good, all as expected. Bad things happen - depend on thing. If it's minor bug, happens once then no big deal - these things happen.

But I'm midly annoyed if this is introduced on purpose. Recent supply/demand on mineral. Before that high demand resulted in high pay. Current model is high demand after slight fulfill (still didn't met the whole demand) causes massive price drop. Also - in game tools that were meant to be used to find occassions - they simply do not work. And this is not a bug or "it happens". It was meant to work that way. No zen from that as game points you to X saying it's good while you get simple FU upon arrival.

Does it bring salt for me? Not really. Annoying, yes but there are other things that i like doing so I don't have to participate in other.

Fine. I'll just have to find some other city that we kaiju like to demolish. I'm open to suggestions.

I heard Wuhan, China rises in popularity recently. If you need to vent some of that radioactive fire building within you... you know, two fissures with one seismic charge.

But I'm midly annoyed if this is introduced on purpose. Recent supply/demand on mineral. Before that high demand resulted in high pay. Current model is high demand after slight fulfill (still didn't met the whole demand) causes massive price drop. Also - in game tools that were meant to be used to find occassions - they simply do not work. And this is not a bug or "it happens". It was meant to work that way. No zen from that as game points you to X saying it's good while you get simple FU upon arrival.

Does it bring salt for me? Not really. Annoying, yes but there are other things that i like doing so I don't have to participate in other.
Ok so the unpredictable pricing is "by design"? I tried to dip my toes into trading the other night, and thought I had spotted an opportunity for selling some machinery in another system. But when I arrived 5 minutes later, the whole thing was a loss. I spend like an hour trying to get rid of my cargo at profit, but wasn't possible. I have given up on trading as fast as I tried to learn it.

Getting salty.
When people get salty, who is putting the time and angry effort in? Who is suffering?
Who is negatively affected?

EGMMUqwWsAALUGb

Top Bottom