Game Discussions Whiskey's Guide to Not Being Salty

Should be in off topic then.
No need to be salty about it being here, though. I feel that this issue is very topical. Well, no less so than Cockpit Cats or whether Elite will have player mobility equal to that of Star Citizen. That said, if a moderator wants to move this to another section of the forum, they're more welcome to.

Fortunately for you, your space pixels weren't anything of real value to begin with. Touring the galaxy in Open is like swimming in the ocean. No, not everything in there wants to eat you, but some of it is hungry all the time and you are wiggling around on its plate. If a shark happens to drift by and nibbles on your toes, you should not be the least bit surprised. Upset that your perfectly good toes have been ruined? Sure. Salty? Never. You knew this could happen, and it did. No sense complaining about it. And if you die to gravity or a disconnection or the dreaded Glitch Gremlin, that's alright too. Just say to yourself "I didn't want that progress anyway. It was merely holding me back". You'll thank me for it.

Stay 2 months in the black, scan 3000 systems (first discoveries), then lose your ship - doesnt matter how, being ganked or smashing a planet or dropping out of sc in the cone of a neutron star or whatever.
Then revisit this thread and reread the first post :)

Stay 2 months in the black, scan 3000 systems (first discoveries), then lose your ship - doesnt matter how, being ganked or smashing a planet or dropping out of sc in the cone of a neutron star or whatever.
Then revisit this thread and reread the first post :)

This is what I don't get. Thats the gamble you take. I went to Sag A and back, over around 6-7 months (with a very casual playstyle). When I came back to the bubble and looked for somewhere to drop the data off in my shiedless hauler, it was some of the most exciting gameplay to date because the risk was so high. But if i'd died then (from whatever), then who's fault would it have been? Mine, no need for salt!

Gamble what you can afford to lose.

Fly safe.

This is what I don't get. Thats the gamble you take. I went to Sag A and back, over around 6-7 months (with a very casual playstyle). When I came back to the bubble and looked for somewhere to drop the data off in my shiedless hauler, it was some of the most exciting gameplay to date because the risk was so high. But if i'd died then (from whatever), then who's fault would it have been? Mine, no need for salt!

Fly safe.
What a great post. Seriously bud, this made my day. If you had died, you would have been mad about it, but I doubt you would have come to the forums to complain. Because you bought the ticket and took the ride.

@ethelred gets it. Duly noted.

Fly safe.

You gambled and you won.
But my post was not for you, was for the one that gambled and is losing.

You gambled and you won.
But my post was not for you, was for the one that gambled and is losing.

My post is especially for the one who gambles and loses - don't gamble what you cannot afford to lose.

If you choose to spend 3 months collecting data, aren't willing to gamble then surely it's safe stars all the way to the closest station, in solo?

Player error kills 99% of the time I am sure [citation needed] .

If you lose where does that fault lie? Should you get better at the game or gamble less? Or take the same odds knowing your skill is insufficient?

My post is especially for the one who gambles and loses - don't gamble what you cannot afford to lose.

Don't play gambling games.
I mean there is actually good risk/reward games. And I always drone on how I dislike the "ironman"-like gameplay of ED. It sucks balls. I don't want to play ED like that. I want my save game. That's what I usually say about the so-called "risk" in ED

Then I went home and continued my Long Dark playthrough. And there is just 1 save game, but I'm too lazy to swap save files or such shenanigans. It's pretty stable, too - only had to reload once for being caught in geometry.
Then I notched up to Interloper difficulty. Died a lot (it's permadeath). It's super scare with loot, too. And RNG. But the game is DESIGNED around the survival. It FITS ALL TOGETHER. It doesn't throw annoyances at me for annoyance sake. (Maybe Timberwolves, but I don't go to that region for exactly that reason).

In the end both games might be for the "long run" gameplay, but it's just that I play The Long Dark exactly for that experience, while I have no interest in such gameplay in Elite.

Greetings, Commanders! o7

Have you just been ganked while delivering biowaste to some bubble station while rank grinding? Did the Gnosis shoot you in the bum while you were trying to protect it from Space Invaders? Are you disappointed with the fact that Elite's development pace and Frontier's rate of communication are on par with the movement speed of a dead sloth?

Well, good news! This topic is for you.

Today, we'll be covering the top three essential tools you will need in order to not be salty about any of this. Yes, I realize that being salty about things drives about 95% of the traffic around here, and that most of the outrage is fake, but it doesn't hurt to arm yourself with the following "arsenal of chill" anyway so that you can rise above it all and enjoy the ride while you're on it.

1) Become Acquainted and Comfortable with Death

Chances are, you're going to die.

Fortunately for you, your space pixels weren't anything of real value to begin with. Touring the galaxy in Open is like swimming in the ocean. No, not everything in there wants to eat you, but some of it is hungry all the time and you are wiggling around on its plate. If a shark happens to drift by and nibbles on your toes, you should not be the least bit surprised. Upset that your perfectly good toes have been ruined? Sure. Salty? Never. You knew this could happen, and it did. No sense complaining about it. And if you die to gravity or a disconnection or the dreaded Glitch Gremlin, that's alright too. Just say to yourself "I didn't want that progress anyway. It was merely holding me back". You'll thank me for it.

2) Lower Your Expectations

You might as well.

Frontier are wonderful at painting beautiful pictures for all of us to fly around it, but they mostly specialize in landscapes, and there aren't a lot of happy little trees in them. Hopes that they will suddenly begin producing well-planned, intricate and rewarding Salvador Dalí-like spectacles are clearly misguided. If this reality makes you not want to play Elite, that's fine. If it doesn't, well, you're just going to have to come to terms with it and move on for the sake of your own sanity. The Gnosis was botched. Anticipate more of the same. And do not expect Space Legs to change this experience all that much. Sure you'll be able to walk around, but you'll never be staring down Greedo across a sticky table in a dusty space bar.

3) Set Your Own Goals

Build a racer, because you can.

Search for and join a PG full of people who like the same things about this game that you do, because the game won't help you with that. Ignore leaks and rumors and speculation, because they're completely meaningless. Do not build toward enjoyment of some feature that may or may not ever be implemented. Instead, built toward the outer limits of what is already available to you. We are all as responsible for our own disappointment as those who disappoint us. Speak out because you care about the future of this game, but do so with the knowledge that deaf ears are all around you, and that in the end you will either get what you always wanted, or you'll be playing something else which has it.

It is my sincere hope that this is helpful to someone out there. Between you and me, all I really want out of Elite is a little fun and a Cockpit Cat. And if I never get my Cockpit Cat, I won't be disappointed. I'll become enraged and rampage around the city of Tokyo destroying things with my meaty fists and atomic breath, sure, but that's their problem.
Yep, all this☝AND don't gank the noobs, for the love of the frag cannon. You don't hit women, unless you're a woman yourself, and even then you just don't. I guess it's sexist to say so these days, but it's still a good rule of thumb.

Top Bottom