Why are these forums constantly asking for planetary landings?

It seems to me that the forum is full of planetary landing hype which has never been once confirmed or even hinted at by FDev.
I can't see why people seem to want it so very much. Yes it will undoubtedly look nice, but unless there's some actual game design around the concept then it's almost useless - an expensive resource to implement which ultimately won't add any extra weight to the current crop of missions.

I'd rather see FDev concentrate on adding more depth to the mission system, fixing mission related issues (such as amount of wing missions/payouts for massacre missions, etc) during the Beyond series of updates. There is so much scope for actual engaging mission depth - having a new, albeit pretty, location to perform the current set of missions will ultimately have achieved nothing.

As for space legs. That would make Elite evolve into a whole new other game. So this will never happen - not on the scale people seem to be asking for. At most, and this is a distance most, we could have a walk around your cockpit and possibly the ship. But, again, a lot of development time would be required (collision detection, cameras and asset redesign) which doesn't actually add anything.

Just my two pence worth of thought on the subject.

It seems to me that the forum is full of planetary landing hype which has never been once confirmed or even hinted at by FDev.
I can't see why people seem to want it so very much. Yes it will undoubtedly look nice, but unless there's some actual game design around the concept then it's almost useless - an expensive resource to implement which ultimately won't add any extra weight to the current crop of missions.

I'd rather see FDev concentrate on adding more depth to the mission system, fixing mission related issues (such as amount of wing missions/payouts for massacre missions, etc) during the Beyond series of updates. There is so much scope for actual engaging mission depth - having a new, albeit pretty, location to perform the current set of missions will ultimately have achieved nothing.

As for space legs. That would make Elite evolve into a whole new other game. So this will never happen - not on the scale people seem to be asking for. At most, and this is a distance most, we could have a walk around your cockpit and possibly the ship. But, again, a lot of development time would be required (collision detection, cameras and asset redesign) which doesn't actually add anything.

I want both atmospheric and space legs. But I want to see the base game expanded upon first.

Yes, even David Braben said the same. Something along the lines of "we could have landings on planets with atmosphere, but there is not a lot of point in developing it without having something to do."

So, if the base game is being developed (here's hoping) ........

Last edited:

The forums ask for it because it's not present and people want to experience it. Regardless of whether it was promised or not doesn't really matter, it pops up every week or so because people want to see it. I agree, if there's no other gameplay involved with it, it will be similar to Geysers in that it's interesting the first time you do it but loses it's flavor after awhile. After doing the atmo-landing minigame for the 10,000th time while trading at a planetary settlement, it might lose the appeal.

I think that the open galaxy of Elite is part of the reason why it's so often requested. When you look at a system map and see all these beautiful planets you can't land on or interact with, and all the lifeless rocky moons that you can land on, it gives everyone the "grass is greener" syndrome and they want to explore something less lifeless.

It is what it is. If it comes, awesome, if it doesn't, that's fine imo, like you said, core game improvements first, graphics updates second.

Most of them need something new to complain about...

As soon as landings on Earthlike Worlds are introduced ......

Ectstatic cheers from the forum !

5 minutes later ..... complaints that all the animals are the same on each ELW ......

10 minutes later ...... complaints about game depth :rolleyes:

As soon as landings on Earthlike Worlds are introduced ......

Ectstatic cheers from the forum !

5 minutes later ..... complaints that all the animals are the same on each ELW ......

10 minutes later ...... complaints about game depth :rolleyes:

Indeed, we are seeing a similar unending lack of satisfaction from the 'Open only all the things' crowd, and missions are updated regularly & players are never satisfied.

I'm looking forward to atmospheric landings, not Earth-likes but Mars & Venus-likes. I like the game as it is, and I want more of it.

I'd be more than happy with atmospheric planets with procedurally generated fauna and flora. More stuff to photograph please!

People are tired of this "look but don't touch" policy Fdev has going on with a majority of its celestial bodies. That's why. If it is in the game we want to be able to touch it with our spaceships.

Because it was confirmed officially in the beginning of ED life cycle:
C2xqqFJ.png

https://us2.campaign-archive.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=1824c0b05a

Half of that life cycle has passed, and we still have only one item of five delivered, and no even hints from FD on any progress on others yet. Fail.
Please stop blind white-knighting. Forums are already full of it.

Last edited:
I'd love to see planetary atmosphere - the kind in Aliens for example when the drop ship a bashed around whist making a decent. The bumpy ride and adrenaline rush as you see what's in front of you for the first time could be jaw dropping, if for example you were about to crash into a tall mountain. I'm sure FDev could make it graphically appealing - they are very good at this aspect of Elite.
I just think it's too much development resource for no game benefit compared to the same development time enhancing the current mission systems.
I suppose, like someone said earlier, its the grass is greener effect.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

+ Newsletter #29 above.

The initial release of Elite: Dangerous doesn't mark the end of development. We intend to continue expanding the game both with new content and new features. A good example of this is planetary landings. We have an ambitious goal for landings to include new gameplay and a rich variety of worlds to explore. To achieve our goal we want the planets to come to life. We also want to add leaving the ships so you can explore space stations or board enemy vessels or even just to look around your own.

I would love to see this as well. Along with some player agency beyond rep and influence counters.
Though I'm not entirely sure they can make such a dynamic mission system in this giant procedural world.
once again, I hope they prove me wrong.

[video=youtube;KS33cyq6Z_A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS33cyq6Z_A&t=13m15s[/video]

Just jump to 56:30

I'll wager David's 2 pence are worth more than yours.

Now to alleviate your night terrors, they're not stopping the development of Beyond to start working on this simply because we've talked about it. That's what's not going to happen. But they've wanted these things, and they'll do these things, no matter how loud people cry, how high they jump, how many times they stomp their feet, or what shade of ultra-violet they turn holding their breath. What's going to happen is going to happen.

When that will be... we won't know until it's announced, but you can bet your last two pence, it won't be before then.

Just jump to 56:30

I'll wager David's 2 pence are worth more than yours.

Now to alleviate your night terrors, they're not stopping the development of Beyond to start working on this simply because we've talked about it. That's what's not going to happen. But they've wanted these things, and they'll do these things, no matter how loud people cry, how high they jump, how many times they stomp their feet, or what shade of ultra-violet they turn holding their breath. What's going to happen is going to happen.

When that will be... we won't know until it's announced, but you can bet your last two pence, it won't be before then.

Tuppence?

We only accept US coins here. :)

Top Bottom