Newcomer / Intro Why can't I go directly from my ship to concourse?

IIRC players made it clear they wanted space legs, i.e space walks, ship interiors, and stuff to do inside and outside the ship (repairs, combat, stealing ships/cargo, etc). Frontier gave them legs focused mainly on FPS combat and topped it off with engineers that demand even more grind to engineer a single suit or weapon than it takes to fully engineer an Anaconda. So one could say Frontier did not give people what they asked for. It was a glancing blow at best.

You haven't aswered my question. Why do you get so agitated by people criticising space legs and suggesting changes?
I'm sorry if I offended you as that was not my intension. I did not like the idea of the changes Frontier made with Odyssey (my opinion only), but there are so many forum posts that get so far out of control that it all comes down to the community wanting Frontier to do something that they were pressured into doing. They try their best to deliver but the community, as in the general community, always find something to criticize the negative problems which they themselves asked for, in general.
Now everyone cried about space legs and interior additions and Frontier delivered and tried to deliver more to suffice for the minority wanting a bit more, which isn't a bad thing for a company to add a little touch of their own, but Odyssey went a bit too far and couldn't deliver. FPS, well they could have shifted a bit of work on hardware such as Memory and CPU as most companies are relying more and more on just the GPU hence high Gcards instead of just dispersing resources, but GPU usage is easier I suppose.

That's why I jump in and bluntly remind people, in general, that this was in fact what the largest change that the community wanted but always seemed to find something to complain about or feel that some things were stupid and if they changed this why not have changed this too or why do I have to run from my ship to the terminal. As a programmer it does bring out the bad side in me that 99% of people do not understand how hard it is to add something with over millions if not billions of lines of code that have to be changed. Something as simple as adding a red light on a ships console or identification lights for all the ships, as they did in fact do that with all ships. Thousands of coding lines would have to be found and changed just for one light for one ship.

This is why I get so agitated with people that can't just enjoy what Frontier Development has given to us gamers' now and in future additions. It's not easy but they do the best with what they have. Titles that use two or more engines is still pretty new technology hence the impossible ability to have a title with no loading screens. Horizons was seamless due to it was only using one engine, except docking of course. Now combine Horizons and Odyssey you have introduced two completely different engines. Now I don't really want to explain how programming works without typing a textbook...:)

So I am sorry if I have offended anyone but there needs to be some kind of respect for what Frontier as done, good or bad.
And thank you for debating this as it does help people as increasing understanding how things work in the background.....o7 Commanders.

I'm sorry if I offended you as that was not my intension. I did not like the idea of the changes Frontier made with Odyssey (my opinion only), but there are so many forum posts that get so far out of control that it all comes down to the community wanting Frontier to do something that they were pressured into doing. They try their best to deliver but the community, as in the general community, always find something to criticize the negative problems which they themselves asked for, in general.
Now everyone cried about space legs and interior additions and Frontier delivered and tried to deliver more to suffice for the minority wanting a bit more, which isn't a bad thing for a company to add a little touch of their own, but Odyssey went a bit too far and couldn't deliver. FPS, well they could have shifted a bit of work on hardware such as Memory and CPU as most companies are relying more and more on just the GPU hence high Gcards instead of just dispersing resources, but GPU usage is easier I suppose.

That's why I jump in and bluntly remind people, in general, that this was in fact what the largest change that the community wanted but always seemed to find something to complain about or feel that some things were stupid and if they changed this why not have changed this too or why do I have to run from my ship to the terminal. As a programmer it does bring out the bad side in me that 99% of people do not understand how hard it is to add something with over millions if not billions of lines of code that have to be changed. Something as simple as adding a red light on a ships console or identification lights for all the ships, as they did in fact do that with all ships. Thousands of coding lines would have to be found and changed just for one light for one ship.

This is why I get so agitated with people that can't just enjoy what Frontier Development has given to us gamers' now and in future additions. It's not easy but they do the best with what they have. Titles that use two or more engines is still pretty new technology hence the impossible ability to have a title with no loading screens. Horizons was seamless due to it was only using one engine, except docking of course. Now combine Horizons and Odyssey you have introduced two completely different engines. Now I don't really want to explain how programming works without typing a textbook...:)

So I am sorry if I have offended anyone but there needs to be some kind of respect for what Frontier as done, good or bad.
And thank you for debating this as it does help people as increasing understanding how things work in the background.....o7 Commanders.
No worries. You didn't offend me. I was just a bit surprised by your original post and decided to post a reply. I admire your trust in Frontier because, frankly, I think they haven't deserved it over the last few years.

I'm a software developer myself and I understand your argument about people not understanding the effort required to maintain and expand a large software project. However, over the years I learned that in the end it is only the quality of the software as experienced by the users that counts (same for other products). It's the task of a developer to manage users' expectations and to 'suck it up' if things do not work out. Some people can be very blunt or even rude in their criticism but not everyone is good with words (many people visiting these forums are not native english speakers). Nevertheless one must listen to the (unpleasant) complaints and use the insights gained from that to improve the product. And that is Frontier's situation now and IMHO they have only themselves to blame for it.

o7

I don't know why the nose of the ship, where the boarding cylinder is, can't be towards the lifts (elevators). Why do we have to walk the entire length of the ship, when they can be revolved on the landing pads?
The boarding cylinder isn’t at the nose of all ships, in the Alliance Chieftain for example it is at the stern.

The hangers differ in layout some have the lobby and its personnel lifts at the end opposite the pad elevator others have the lobby at the side, it seems to be dependent on size and whether the installation is in space or at a Planetary Port.

Also the pads only revolve when on the elevator at the bottom of the shaft, the only round bit of the hanger/pad elevator facility.

The boarding cylinder isn’t at the nose of all ships, in the Alliance Chieftain for example it is at the stern.

The hangers differ in layout some have the lobby and its personnel lifts at the end opposite the pad elevator others have the lobby at the side, it seems to be dependent on size and whether the installation is in space or at a Planetary Port.

Also the pads only revolve when on the elevator at the bottom of the shaft, the only round bit of the hanger/pad elevator facility.
The majority of ships then. I've got a fleet of over 20 and nearly all of them have boarding at the front. Side lobbies are irrelevant either way.

It is also irrelevant where the ships revolve. As long as they face the mail slot by the time they're at the surface.

It's just a massive waste of time having to run the length of a Corvette, maybe they should supply little buggies or Segways.

To tell you the truth, I thought the OP was just being sarcastic. The excuse that the ship interiors would just add time to exiting the ship doesn't really hold water when FDev are quite happy for us to trudge about in a featureless hangar

Exactly the point!

I've had Odyssey for ~29 hours and this thread already touches my soul.

What a waste of my time that hangar is. Honestly, I was iffy on spacelegs because my feeling was it would make mundane tasks take longer - and in this instance, I was 100% right. Thank goodness the "let us move through the ship to the FSS" crowd didn't get their way.

Please, kill the hangar, and make the on-foot missions available from the cockpit too. I'll disembark if I need to do something special (like talk to a bartender), but don't make me run 60 seconds each way to find out if the folks in the concourse have missions I'm interested in. Mostly they're illegal, so no - and the only one I would have done was at 1am, with a 5 hour limit. Meanwhile, the other missions are on the terminal - just pipe it up to my ship!

Top Bottom