Why do YOU play In Open?

Not sure really. Sometimes its nice to see other people around, although that's rare in my part of the bubble. When i do occasionally see people, they rarely respond to hails. Rarely might go into open to meet with people, but that can be done in PG as well.

No point going to busy systems in open, gankers abound and no interest in interacting with such players. Sometimes done it when flying a fast ship (Viper, Clipper) just to see if i got interdicted... never did. Gankers prefer easy targets obviously.

In short, while i do often fly in open, no real reason to.

So unless you have a PC and can get the game on a sale (or not) I cant see buying a PC just to play the game, although the lack of EBL might be a reason?
I vacillate between PC and XB1X. If I were to grab a cheap XB1X during Black Friday, then I doubt I'd pay the extra for online (Open) gameplay. Ironically I can get an XB1X cheaper than a PS4 Pro! I'm kinda hoping Sony finally gives us a good sale on the Pro since the PS5 is coming out in a year. If I could get a Pro cheap enough, I'd upgrade my Slim. Graphics quality is my primary frustration with ED on PS4, and even on the Pro it isn't great. It used to be before Frontier abandoned the PS4, but these days, not so much... A number of PS4 players have defected over to PC for this very reason. :(

Open is the real instance of Elite Dangerous, player diversity in both style and attitude is at its peak. Encounters with other players in Mobius (for example) are for the most part predicable, but in open anything can happen. I like feeling like a sheep lost in the woods, or a wolf in sheeps clothing lost in the woods.

I dont play Open exclusively but it is the big kids pool, and playing in it is typically more interesting.

The original competition required open play with reset credits from beta..

the fragmentation explain why we never really meet other comdrs.

I play almost always in open
Only play in solo when I am farming materials at Dav´s Hope/Guardian Ruins/ Bug killer Anaconda etc, because I don´t want to disturb other commanders.

I play in open because it´s the most realistic environment, with his good and bad things

I play in open because it´s the most realistic environment, with his good and bad things
Ironically this is why I often switch to Solo. Open play in busy areas, like most MMOs, feels like a bunch of "people playing a video game" rather than a living, breathing, purposeful galaxy. I'm a roleplayer, so seeing the dumb things CMDRs do in open "breaks my 'mersion" as they say.

My favorite times in Open has been when I encounter a random CMDR or two going about their business in some random system. That's cool. It happened with surprising frequency when I was operating out at Lagoon Nebula for a few months - CMDRs coming and going to Colonia, making a quick stop at Lagoon. Those chats were a bit more interesting than the obligatory "o7" at Jameson Memorial.

I've been thinking about this lately. In another thread someone mentioned the larger player base as a reason to switch to PC. Yet here I am currently stuck in Solo because I hit my monthly bandwidth cap, now waiting for it to reset. Thing is, I'm enjoying what I am doing in Solo and likely wouldn't have encountered any CMDRs here where I'm doing it, at least not on PS4. And then there's the whole "pay to play (in open)" aspect to consoles.

There are three reasons that come to mind that people seem to love Open in ED. One is PvP, another is Group PvE (wing missions, expeditions, etc.), and then there is "Space Facebook" where it's all about talking on Discord about politics and religion while driving SRVs in circles, LOL. Of these, only Group PvE has ever truly interested me, and even this I can live without.

For me personally, the shared galaxy is what makes playing ED feel like a 'community' experience, regardless of game mode. Even if I don't see a hollow square or "o7" in my comms, I know that we're all shaping this galaxy together with our actions, be it the BGS, CGs, discoveries, etc. It's the thing that keeps drawing me back to ED over other cool but 'lonely' games like Subnautica.

So to the title, why do YOU play in Open, and would you still enjoy the game if you were either stuck in Solo or an 'empty Open' like we supposedly have on PS4?
I don't play in OPEN. Whenever I meet someone they're doing own business so they don't bother to say "o7". Whenever I find someone interested in me it has a negative impact on my gaming experience. I only enjoyed meeting other people during DW2 at meeting points in closed groups..
As you said, I feel this galaxy alive because of the forums, seeing people posting screenshots makes me feel already we share the same galaxy so I don't need negative experience, that's why I'm on SOLO only.

I only play in Open, I don't see a reason to play in solo in a game I payed to play with others? I see many talking about being ganked or grifted - I personally have never even seen another "Real player" in open-ever. You can form friendships, give each other things they need such as gardian stuff for their research - things like that.
As for players being put off by an encounter with another player- I just don't understand this at all- it is part of the game and I am looking forward to it myself.

See you in open.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
I play in open because it is where you meet other players. I like to help others, and most of the ones that need help are in Open. I also played in Mobius before the splintering into the subgroups, but the new players don't know about it. I don't really engage in PvP, as long as there is a reason for it (pirating, opposing factions/powers/superpowers, wars, community goals), as long as there is some thing of communication comes with it. Then it can enrich the world. I play in Open because my friends play in Open. I'd also do it if my enemies played in Open, but I don't have any that I'd count (worthy of the title) enemies.

I play in group with my son, since some pepole are not ones I want him to meet, or when I play on a screen for high res screenshots.

Because you never know what can happen, sometimes even seeing other people makes the game experience better for me, dont even ask why, it just does it for me.

These days money is not an issue really, like it was back in the start, so whats the problem if you get destroyed here and there from time to time, and playing in open will teach you to escape from danger and build your ship properly.

Im not doing so called pvp, im on the very end of the food chain, and i still enjoy open very much. That said, im in open 95% of time, im usually in solo when im exploring or returning form exploration trips, otherwise im trying to be in open.

the fragmentation explain why we never really meet other comdrs.

According to FD Open is the most popular mode, therefore if everyone was in Open, i doubt you would see many more CMDRs than you already see, except around places where people really need to go, like engineers and Shinrarta.

The galaxy is a big place, and if someone didn't want the open "experience" they could mainly avoid it by setting up home somewhere away from frequented places. I mean, my home is fairly central, Phekda (look it up), practically next door to Alioth, and its rare for me to see another player in my home system or even around it, even in Alioth itself.

Gankers prefer certain systems because those systems are the only systems where you are likely to regularly see other players.

Between Cmdr Ratelimited, Cmdr Smokesignalnet and Cmdr Vpnlooksfaster I find Open largely unplayable, so I’m part of the #IDont movement.

Private Groups have been my mainstay, since I came out of playing solo. Not a fan of crowds in the first place, and it extends to virtual crowds.

Top Bottom