Why does the odyssey look worse than horizons?

not specifically the light sources per se, but the fact that each one casts a shadow + your ship/srv lights also cast a shadow. so, you always have at the very least two shadow casting light sources which is already quite taxing on the hardware. i remember in like 2004 or something, when doom 3 was released, i used to build maps for it, but didn't understand how the lights work or how to optimize them. basically i had all of my light sources also cast a shadow which was extremely taxing on the hardware back in the day. especially when those light sources would overlap. you had to be really careful about overlapping light sources which we have many in elite, because a star would illuminate an entire star system.

so, i would assume it would be possible to have multiple light sources in the game, but only one (not including the ship/srv) would cast a shadow. is this a compromise, would it look even more unrealistic? i don't know.
That is quite disappointing, but thanks for explaining it. It makes me feel like the current gaming GPU:s have poor performance when they cannot handle more than one light source that casts shadows.

The changing brightness of the shadow sides of planets when I fly by them is the second most irritating feature in Odyssey, after the Crash To Desktop syndrome.

You mean it's not supposed to look like this?

kYG4N7K.jpg

Just kidding, seen all sorts of planetary colours, this one was just orange, orange everywhere, even the chickens were orange!
Now that is impressive!

so, i would assume it would be possible to have multiple light sources in the game, but only one (not including the ship/srv) would cast a shadow. is this a compromise, would it look even more unrealistic? i don't know.
This thread, and others like it, are merely questioning the compromises the devs make to make the game playable.

This thread, and others like it, are merely questioning the compromises the devs make to make the game playable.
I've always considered them to be observations that a game doesn't meet the specifications imagined by the contributors.
Seems to be reasonably accurate - apart from obvious bugs, naturally.

I've always considered them to be observations that a game doesn't meet the specifications imagined by the contributors.
Seems to be reasonably accurate - apart from obvious bugs, naturally.
We only move forwards change when our reach exceeds our current capabilities.

That is quite disappointing, but thanks for explaining it. It makes me feel like the current gaming GPU:s have poor performance when they cannot handle more than one light source that casts shadows.
In a game engine it can be decided which light sources are also casting shadows. Additionally the way lighting is being calculated can also be adjusted (like pixel or vertex lights), as well as the range. ED and most other game engines can render more than one light source, while maintaining enough performance to be playable.
There is also different techniques to draw shadows. So there is a lot of room for optimization.
Edit: Regarding graphics quality and lighting: You can make objective observations, but they don't necessarily align with subjectively perceived quality. You can have an aesthetically pleasing image, that is the opposite naturalistic. Sharp contrasts for instance can lead to subjectively increased picture quality. This is, what we can observe in the hangar screenshots of OP. At first glance EDH looks really good, with the pronounced ship lights and the omnipresent edge shadows. But if you analyse the scenes more thorough, you can notice the lighting and shadowing does not make much sense in EDH. The main light source in the hangar are the over head lights at the ceiling, but for some reason top side of the wings of the Orca have a shadow placed on them, same with most edges, that are exposed directly to the light source above. All in all the lighting in EDO in this scene is more natural than in EDH, yet EDH looks more interesting. FDev needed to adjust the lights (positions) in the hangar in order create a similar effect. Not sure, what their goal is there though. If they were to go for a realistic approach, they'd probably want to add some light(s) below the ship, like in a workshop, so the ship can be examined properly.

Last edited:
OK atmospheric lighting can look great sometimes
And yet, some bodies without atmosphere in Horizon seem to have more atmosphere than any atmospheric body in Odyssey 😅

It makes me feel like the current gaming GPU:s have poor performance when they cannot handle more than one light source that casts shadows.
Yes but no. There is many engines that can handle multiple light source without performance issues. And some few are even capable to offer it on early Dx11 GPUs.

IMO, Odyssey looks much more realistic
You mean, like seeing stars in the sky when there's a bright glaring star in your eye ? (it's funny there is still people using the realistic argument) 😁

Lighting in 3.8 is a work of art, and it's sad that Odyssey after more than a year doesn't even come close.

From what i read, it took a lot of time for Horizons to be polised to 3.x version levels
like 3-4 years...

And that happened when Elite was their flagship
Which is not anymore.

so we may never get the same level of fixes in Odyssey

How do you come to such a conclusion ?
No, just that Odyssey is not more realistic than Horizon.
I don't claim realism... Neither are 'realistic'. might be something to being just a game though... But for a science-fiction offering, I guess folk are permitted to let their imagination run riot on perceiving things as 'realistic' according to their wont...

Last edited:
That is quite disappointing

this isn't an issue exclusive to elite though. take a look at other modern games with dynamic shadows. off the top of my head i can't think of a game that uses multiple shadow casting light sources in the same scene which would overlap with each other. and if so, the scene wouldn't be super taxing on the gpu anyways.

i'm not an expert, but i think with raytracing this wouldn't be an issue, because light and shadow calculations work totally different. but you obviously also need the hardware for that.

Top Bottom