Why is the sniper rifle not hitscan?

I have never seen a game do guns correctly. That's the main reason I don't play FPS games. I grew up with guns, I know how they work. Dealing with the stupidity they put into games just destroys the fun for me.

No, a sniper rifle should not be hitscan. It should actually be difficult to use because it is in the real world. You should have to account for windage and bullet drop. Give the scope a real reticle, add wind and range info. Make sniping a skill, not an EZ button. That also makes it easy to make the AI fair. Add a bit of fuzz to all the variables and they can be as accurate as stormtroopers if you want.

Stopping it from being used everywhere is also easy. First, it's cumbersome. But mainly, you have to use the scope to aim. Try hitting something 20 feet away with a 10x scope.

I've been trying different combinations of weapons today and it just blows my mind the only sniper rifle is a slow floating ball of plasma.

Any laser or kinetic weapon far out performs the plasma sniper rifle in accuracy and that just seems silly.

Why would devs apply grenade launcher like mechanic to a sniper rifle?

The formula for snipers is well established Hitscan, High damage to head, small clip sizes.......

Please please please whoever mapped out the weapon balancing have another look and see how your mechanics compare to the last 20 years of successful FPS games.
I agree, the problem seems to be that the DEV assigned to FPS weapons don't have the experience needed to design the weapons.

I have never seen a game do guns correctly. That's the main reason I don't play FPS games. I grew up with guns, I know how they work. Dealing with the stupidity they put into games just destroys the fun for me.

No, a sniper rifle should not be hitscan. It should actually be difficult to use because it is in the real world. You should have to account for windage and bullet drop. Give the scope a real reticle, add wind and range info. Make sniping a skill, not an EZ button. That also makes it easy to make the AI fair. Add a bit of fuzz to all the variables and they can be as accurate as stormtroopers if you want.

Stopping it from being used everywhere is also easy. First, it's cumbersome. But mainly, you have to use the scope to aim. Try hitting something 20 feet away with a 10x scope.
ArmA is pretty good, not perfect but actually ok.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cix07R1vlhI

Last edited:
I kinda like the weapon balancing , they did good job at this. well mine are not engi but atm it feel balanced .
I think better scope would be the only improvement i could see.

If FDev introduced a Gauss or Railgun rifle, complete with the hold to charge to fire mechanic from the ship, I'd take that over the plasma sniper any day. As is it is, though, because damage is nullified if it overdamages the shield, anyways, I find the plasma pistol and the laser rifle far more flexible and effective. You don't need to deal enough damage to one shot KO an enemy if it still requires you to hit them twice. Plasma pistol does that to basically everything at G5, and at long range you can more reliably chew through shields with the laser rifle.

So basically the summary thus far is we can't have an authentic style sniper rifle because the AI is bad. So we still get named "Sniper Rifle" that shoots slow floating plasma balls.

This is what happens when you expect "balance" in games. In reality, the sniper rifle is a god-tier weapon capable of one-shot kills from absurd ranges. The "balance" IRL is that it also takes god-tier skill to use effectively.

And I have to retract my earlier comment about never playing a game that got weapons right. Silent Scope did an excellent job of capturing what it's like to hit a distant target with a scoped rifle. But that's because it mimicked the physical aspect of it rather than just letting you scroll with a mouse like an Excel page.

silentscopearcade.jpg

When was the last time you played an FPS? They've come a long way from hitscan/instakill weapons and braindead AI that just stands around waiting to get popped. Give something modern, like Apex Legends, a try. Load up the firing range and have a go. ...it's free. I'm not saying it's the be-all-end all of FPS weapon modeling but it's damn good.

When was the last time you played an FPS?
"Medal of Honor", I think. Watched my wife play a bit of Borderlands the other week. They just don't interest me because of the stupid tropes. Bullet sponges, underpowered weapons, slow reload times... game devs need to at least watch some real shooting videos before they decide to make a game.

Sniper rifle should have been rail gun based, and that one shot takes off nearly all your shield but reloads slowly.

People have shields for a reason, and they are a get out clause for being pinned down.

Because hitscan weapons in games are abysmal?
Prolly a poor choice of words. I don't know of a modern FPS that doesn't do some sort of projectile-based ballistics modeling.
"Medal of Honor", I think. Watched my wife play a bit of Borderlands the other week. They just don't interest me because of the stupid tropes. Bullet sponges, underpowered weapons, slow reload times... game devs need to at least watch some real shooting videos before they decide to make a game.
MoE is pretty old and, IMO, Borderlands leans more towards gameplay over accuracy than more "accurate" shooters. BL even sells itself on ridiculous weaponry. I think something like Battlefield, COD, Apex, Titanfall 2, etc., might get you to look at FPS weapon modeling in a different light. Not saying perfectly as they still need a game in there somewhere.

Stealthie

Banned
This is what happens when you expect "balance" in games. In reality, the sniper rifle is a god-tier weapon capable of one-shot kills from absurd ranges. The "balance" IRL is that it also takes god-tier skill to use effectively.

And I have to retract my earlier comment about never playing a game that got weapons right. Silent Scope did an excellent job of capturing what it's like to hit a distant target with a scoped rifle. But that's because it mimicked the physical aspect of it rather than just letting you scroll with a mouse like an Excel page.

If you haven't already, you might want to take a look at Far Cry 2 or 3.

It wasn't especially "realistic" but it was fun for people familiar with firearms.
There was a large selection of weapons, in pistol calibre, medium calibre and large calibre and you could configure them in a variety of ways which'd bias their performance for different jobs.
You could, for example, use a 7.62mm boltie and it'd be an instakill weapon. If you fitted it with iron sights or a reflex sight it'd be okay-ish at all ranges but not much use for sniping.
Conversely, you could fit it with a high-magnification scope and it'd be a terrific sniper rifle but utterly useless for anything else.

The game(s) allowed you to carry a variety of weapons and you would find yourself using something like an M700 (fitted with a Hollywood silencer) to kill sentries and then swapping to an MP5 for an assault, and then keeping a pistol for backup.

As I said, it wasn't especially detailed or realistic but it did feel like a knowledge of real-world firearms helped you understand the strengths and weaknesses of weapons and accessories in the game - which probably means the dev's had some basic understanding of how firearms work.

Last edited:
MoE is pretty old and, IMO, Borderlands leans more towards gameplay over accuracy than more "accurate" shooters. BL even sells itself on ridiculous weaponry. I think something like Battlefield, COD, Apex, Titanfall 2, etc., might get you to look at FPS weapon modeling in a different light. Not saying perfectly as they still need a game in there somewhere.
I don't doubt it. Just not really motivated to check it out.

If you haven't already, you might want to take a look at Far Cry 2 or 3.

It wasn't especially "realistic" but it was fun for people familiar with firearms.
There was a large selection of weapons, in pistol calibre, medium calibre and large calibre and you could configure them in a variety of ways which'd bias their performance for different jobs.
You could, for example, use a 7.62mm boltie and it'd be an instakill weapon. If you fitted it with iron sights or a reflex sight it'd be okay-ish at all ranges but not much use for sniping.
Conversely, you could fit it with a high-magnification scope and it'd be a terrific sniper rifle but utterly useless for anything else.

The game(s) allowed you to carry a variety of weapons and you would find yourself using something like an M700 (fitted with a Hollywood silencer) to kill sentries and then swapping to an MP5 for an assault, and then keeping a pistol for backup.

As I said, it wasn't especially detailed or realistic but it did feel like a knowledge of real-world firearms helped you understand the strengths and weaknesses of weapons and accessories in the game - which probably means the dev's some basic understanding of how firearms work.
You had me at "M700"- my first deer rifle when I turned 12.

Top Bottom