Why is the sniper rifle not hitscan?

I suspect it's done mostly due to balance reasons. Having it hit instantly would make it way better than the rest and it would become meta.

I think the balance is pretty good and the plasma sniper is satisfying to use. Nice when you manage to predict the target's movements correctly. Pulse-pounding when the shots start buzzing around you. It's more of an assassin's weapon, though. Best at one-shotting unaware targets. Maybe one can engineer a pretty decent hitscan sniper out of TK Aphelion. G5, range and headshot mods. I have one with audio masking and I'm developing it to that direction.

I suspect it's done mostly due to balance reasons. Having it hit instantly would make it way better than the rest and it would become meta.
Aphelion or overall the Lasers are Hitscan.
Kinetics are pretty much Hitscan.
Are they better? No.
There is another easy way to balance hitscan. We have that Value already. Headshot Damage Multiplier.
If the Weapon with its current Damage is too strong because a single Bodyshot kills? Reduce its Damage, increase its Multiplier. Reward players for aiming, not for spraying and praying with such a Weapon. If they want to spray and pray, thats what the SMGs or Shotgun are for.

Im not a fan of a Hitscan-Sniper either. I love Projectile-Traveltime. I love Projectile-Bulletdrop. But only if there is actually a reward. Thats why i was hoping that "Greater Range" would increase Speed. You know, Engineer Weapons for your liking.
But giving the Marksman Rifle the same speed as the Shotgun, Handcannon and Peashooter? Thats just weird...especially once you have seen what a Scoped Shotgun can do.

Particularly when you're playing with a team with plenty of real-world experience in small-unit tactics where the incoming fire can cause more serious consequences than a respawn. I never had that experience myself but more than half the crew I played with did and they weren't exactly reticent about passing on what the rest of us were doing wrong and how to do it right. Kill count? Game rank? Hades with that. Did your force take the objective or deny it to the enemy? THAT's a "win."
Screw Killcount, there is no competition. I dont care if you die 50 times and only kill 2 enemies. Was it awesome and fun? Do you want to play more? Thats what is important. After a while you will die less and kill more.

Last edited:
EDO is Goldeneye era FPS.
Nostalgia is a lot of fun. I wouldn't say it was forward thinking though, it's ace was that it was on console. Had it been a PC release it likely would have been forgotten. FPS arena on console was a huge thing at the time. I remember Goldeneye matches dropping to single digit framerates sometimes and my friends and I thought it was cool, like a slow mo feature. We hadn't experienced what PC players already had, otherwise it would not have amused us. Once I played Unreal Tournament, my console FPS days were done.

Literally every Console FPS ever since then has followed in its footsteps to some extent.

Arena games like Quake were popular on PC because Mouse and Keyboard, console had to find their niche elsewhere, which is where things like Cover based shooters come in, again, this has roots Directly tied to Goldeneye. Goldeneye was an objective based strategic, slow paced FPS, and its influence can even be felt today in modern competitive shooters like R6 Siege.

I think this could work if it were a kinetic weapon which had very low damage but a high headshot multiplier, so that it would only work on unshielded opponents and only be useful if you get a headshot. The noise would alert the base so that you could reasonably only get one or maybe two kills before shields went up and the gun became useless. The projectile being affected by gravity would help balance it further. At this point the gun is pretty much useless without engineering it with a silencer.

Last night I went to power up settlement. Found 11 scavengers... Last 4 were sharpshooters. I had to rush them because exchanging shots with 4 aimbots was not in my favor. Imagine them using hitscan weapon with same precision, range and alpha strike.

P. S. I am using Executioner since the game was released. It is a fine weapon, but you need to learn when and how to shoot.

Last edited:
I think this could work if it were a kinetic weapon which had very low damage but a high headshot multiplier, so that it would only work on unshielded opponents and only be useful if you get a headshot. The noise would alert the base so that you could reasonably only get one or maybe two kills before shields went up and the gun became useless. The projectile being affected by gravity would help balance it further. At this point the gun is pretty much useless without engineering it with a silencer.
This would be very limited, as everybody in a conflict zone has shields up, and once you alert a mob everybody around uses shields.

In a non-CZ scenario you'd then have to wait for NPCs to reset, which is not very immersive. and boring.

Alternatively you'd either need a second sniper rifle for the shields, or sneak close, take out shields with something else or a grenade, then back on rooftop ... oops, shields are up again!

Im not a fan of a Hitscan-Sniper either. I love Projectile-Traveltime. I love Projectile-Bulletdrop. But only if there is actually a reward. Thats why i was hoping that "Greater Range" would increase Speed. You know, Engineer Weapons for your liking.
In low gravity environments without atmosphere even projectiles should fly fairly straight and far.
The plasma shot speed forces the sniper to lead for lateral movement, but doesn't overcomplicate things unnecessarily and unrealistically.

However, I agree that it's a bit a bummer not to get some extra shot speed from extra range.

Realism-wise, I'd think plasma should be something very unstable and only operational without atmosphere. Therefore the weapon should be designed to give it a high velocity to last the distance or it should be short ranged.

Last night I went to power up settlement. Found 11 scavengers... Last 4 were sharpshooters. I had to rush them because exchanging shots with 4 aimbots was not in my favor. Imagine them using hitscan weapon with same precision, range and alpha strike.

P. S. I am using Executioner since the game was released. It is a fine weapon, but you need to learn when and how to shoot.
Hehe this. Last three times I took exterminate scavengers missions I had 4 sharpshooters each.
That's already somewhat difficult even with fully engineered gear. Against 4 hitscan railsnipers? yelp.

I've been trying different combinations of weapons today and it just blows my mind the only sniper rifle is a slow floating ball of plasma.

Any laser or kinetic weapon far out performs the plasma sniper rifle in accuracy and that just seems silly.

Why would devs apply grenade launcher like mechanic to a sniper rifle?

The formula for snipers is well established Hitscan, High damage to head, small clip sizes.......

Please please please whoever mapped out the weapon balancing have another look and see how your mechanics compare to the last 20 years of successful FPS games.

It’s not a sniper rifle, it’s a “Marksman Rifle”.

a sniper rifle?

to be pedantic, it's a marksman rifle not a sniper rifle

And i kinda like it as it is.
If it was a hitscan or if it had the ballistics of the kinetic weapons it would be way to powerful
As it is, it doe require some skill when killing someone at 70-120m away

I kinda like the weapon balancing , they did good job at this. well mine are not engi but atm it feel balanced .
I think better scope would be the only improvement i could see.

Mine is a G3 and has Increases Magazine size - 5 shots instead of 3 means i can reliably kill at least a target before having to reload (assuming i miss the first shot, target gets evasive and i miss the next 2 shots too, then it stops - at which point i would have to reload with a normal magazine, giving my target time to reload shields and start over the entire ordeal 😂)

My next upgrades will be, audio masking, scope and stowed reloading

as i said.
Dont. Spawn. Them. With. Commando. Groups.
One Sniper in a Team? Fine. 4 Snipers in a Commando-Team? Is this Call of Duty? No? Why spawn them then?
Of course it is broken if you spawn Arena-Snipers in unrealistic amounts in unrealistic situations where they are not supposed to be.

as i said.
Dont. Spawn. Them. With. Commando. Groups.
One Sniper in a Team? Fine. 4 Snipers in a Commando-Team? Is this Call of Duty? No? Why spawn them then?
Of course it is broken if you spawn Arena-Snipers in unrealistic amounts in unrealistic situations where they are not supposed to be.
I do not mind comandos. In matter of fact I have killed all others but once I have started exchanging long shots with one sharpshooter and other 3 joins him the PITA began.

It is not the commando but the numbers of sharpshooters that matters. Would you prefer a settlement only with sharpshooters?

I do not mind comandos. In matter of fact I have killed all others but once I have started exchanging long shots with one sharpshooter and other 3 joins him the PITA began.

It is not the commando but the numbers of sharpshooters that matters. Would you prefer a settlement only with sharpshooters?
Thats the thing i meant. When i said "Commando" i meant the whole Group that usually spaws. Strikers, Commandos and all that. A Strike-Team. They need to spawn as a balanced Group, not completely random where you could end with 4/11 or more Sharpshooters.

And not only that, the Sharpshooters should not behave in the same way as the others, so "rush towards the enemy".
Each type of enemy needs another form of AI and Balance to make them fair and fun.

Striker: Uses the heaviest Armor and has usually more Shield than the rest of the Squad. Carries the Shotgun and tries to rush towards the Target. Does not care about broken Shields and sprints around Cover to flush you out. Uses Medpacks when his health drops low.

Commando: Uses a balanced Armor and carries Assault Rifles. Always tries to stay behind Cover or at Corners. Hides when the Shield breaks. Throws Grenades to flush you out of Cover.

Sharpshooter: Uses light Armor and carries the Exectutioner. Always tries to stay as far away as possible and tries to stick to higher places. Uses the Shield Grenade to create Cover for himself. Retreats and switches to Tormentor when you get too close.

A balanced group could be:
1x Striker
1x Sharpshooter
1x Commando with Kinetic
1x Commando with Energy

When you Attack a Base, the Patrols on the Outside should always be Commandos. Inside Buildings they should always be Strikers, or a new Variant with SMGs.
Sharpshooters should never spawn as random Guards. Instead, they should spawn on certain Roofs in fixed positions.
Also, to spawn on the same spots as Sharpshooters: Anti-Vehicle Units with Rocket Launchers.

That way you make sure that the "strong weapons" have a tactical use and feeling, not a 1337-Quickscope Rush from Call of Duty. And with an AI that tells them to "stay where you are and shoot from there" you make it fair as you can easily avoid their line of sight.
In low gravity environments without atmosphere even projectiles should fly fairly straight and far.
The plasma shot speed forces the sniper to lead for lateral movement, but doesn't overcomplicate things unnecessarily and unrealistically.

However, I agree that it's a bit a bummer not to get some extra shot speed from extra range.

Realism-wise, I'd think plasma should be something very unstable and only operational without atmosphere. Therefore the weapon should be designed to give it a high velocity to last the distance or it should be short ranged.
Plasma Weapons should atleast be able to cover their effective Range.
50m/s is good enough for Tormentor and Intimidator.
Oppressor should have 75m/s because it is an Assault Rifle, yet it has the lowest Effective Range of all of them, so it has a high Falloff. (Oppressor: 35m, AR-50: 50m, Aphelion: 70m)
Intimidator should have 100m/s so that it can actually cover its 100m effective Range.
Greater Range engineering should further increase speed. Thats what engineering is for, isnt it? Spend a lot of time and resources to change a Weapon to your liking.

Last edited:
Sharpshooter: Uses light Armor and carries the Exectutioner. Always tries to stay as far away as possible and tries to stick to higher places. Uses the Shield Grenade to create Cover for himself. Retreats and switches to Tormentor when you get too close.
This is kind of what sharpshooters currently do except for the shield grenade. They stay in distance as long as they see you. They only approach your last position if they loose sight on you. If you are too close they switch to sidearm(not always tormentor). If their shield drops they take cover and even run in the opposite direction.

I've been trying different combinations of weapons today and it just blows my mind the only sniper rifle is a slow floating ball of plasma.

Any laser or kinetic weapon far out performs the plasma sniper rifle in accuracy and that just seems silly.

Why would devs apply grenade launcher like mechanic to a sniper rifle?

The formula for snipers is well established Hitscan, High damage to head, small clip sizes.......

Please please please whoever mapped out the weapon balancing have another look and see how your mechanics compare to the last 20 years of successful FPS games.
Game balance. Otherwise it would be too easy. Its already actually is a megaweapon in a close fight.

And AI cant do crap when youre far enough.

Frankly all the weapons are poorly thought out in EDO.

The sniper rifle should be a single shot to the head (possibly only when shields down), high velocity kinetic. But it absolutely must be impacted by the environment. So on a high-G world the bullet should drop quicker than a low-G. Thicker atmospheres should slow it down etc. Great for long-range assassination missions, but you have to be skilled to use it from the rocks and have a good understanding of the environment you're in. Maybe a scope readout indicating this to make it obvious you have to pay attention to such things.

If anybody played Jedi Knight II, the pulse lasers in that were awesome, they really managed to get a convincing level of inaccuracy on a laser.

Kinetics should have the same considerations as the sniper with drop off etc, but the combat spaces are so small in EDO it's not really relevant. I haven't tried the kinetics against an armoured foe, but the armoured people are bullet sponges.

And of course, if you hit a person on the ground with a Class 3 beam laser, it should instantly kill them and put a small hole in the ground, unlike the current 20+ hits to kill somebody.

Top Bottom