Why own one of the Passenger Liners?

Hey all,

Been pondering this, so thought I'd ask, as I don't currently have any of this ship Class. Years ago, when I loved being a Bus driver and doing tourist missions, I picked up the Baluga, thinking it'd be the best ship for this role and I'd get tonnes of extra credits from it's Luxury cabins. That of course wasn't true and an Anaconda or a Python were great for these roles. It's those two ships I continued to use. I still have a Passenger Cabin equipped Python parked out near Robigo IIRC.

So, as Passenger Liners were never the way to transport passenger, I wonder what others are using them for. Have you found roles in which they excel? Are there particular feature they have that you've found value in? Indeed, has anything changed regarding moving Passengers around that means they finally work for their intended niche?

This is just a "how do you use yours" sort of thread, I want to see how other players are enjoying their Passenger Liners, in whatever role it may be.

Random thoughts on what they might be good at... Good for jump range / long distance travel. Do they run particularly cold / stealthy?

Cheers.

I have used the Dolphin for carrier-based exploration. Have the other two just to have them - I like how they look.

Nice. Do they have a pretty decent jump range, and range overall on standard fuel tanks? I can see how they might be good in that role. I use a DBX or Anaconda for getting places / exploration / surface stuff currently.

Hey all,

Been pondering this, so thought I'd ask, as I don't currently have any of this ship Class. Years ago, when I loved being a Bus driver and doing tourist missions, I picked up the Baluga, thinking it'd be the best ship for this role and I'd get tonnes of extra credits from it's Luxury cabins. That of course wasn't true and an Anaconda or a Python were great for these roles. It's those two ships I continued to use. I still have a Passenger Cabin equipped Python parked out near Robigo IIRC.

So, as Passenger Liners were never the way to transport passenger, I wonder what others are using them for. Have you found roles in which they excel? Are there particular feature they have that you've found value in? Indeed, has anything changed regarding moving Passengers around that means they finally work for their intended niche?

This is just a "how do you use yours" sort of thread, I want to see how other players are enjoying their Passenger Liners, in whatever role it may be.

Random thoughts on what they might be good at... Good for jump range / long distance travel. Do they run particularly cold / stealthy?

Cheers.
The Beluga has been my favourite exploration ship, ive taken her to Beagle, Sag A* and every place a 51LY jump can get me.
It can take everything for the journey including an SLF and handles amazingly, the only downside is the fuel scoop size compared to the tank size.
Recently i fell in love with my exploration Python on a trip to Rykers but if i had to pick one ship to head out and never return, its my Luga.

IgsOvAh.png

GXI6d23.png

O7

I do like a ship with everything I might possibly need on it. My Anaconda - well, one of them - currently fills this role. Fighter Bay, SRV Bays, extra fuel tank, AFMU, repair limpets etc. etc. Can the Baluga really be better at this role, or is it more personal preference? I get preference, as I still love using an Asp Explorer for jobs it's really not that good at lol.

Nice. Do they have a pretty decent jump range, and range overall on standard fuel tanks? I can see how they might be good in that role. I use a DBX or Anaconda for getting places / exploration / surface stuff currently.
The Dolphin is probably the best small vessel for exploration, when you engineer it properly. Get around 40 LY range from mine.

Can the Baluga really be better at this role
No, the Annie has a better fuel scoop, better armor, better shields and fully loaded with only minor downgrades on Power plant and thrusters still does 60LY if you want the range for exploring harder areas.
I spent months out in my Annie when i first started exploring Lyra's, its a much better ship than the Luga, but its not my ship.
Yes its just preference, Luga every time.

O7

Complete with full-size dance floor!

One doesn't dance lol.

No, the Annie has a better fuel scoop, better armor, better shields and fully loaded with only minor downgrades on Power plant and thrusters still does 60LY if you want the range for exploring harder areas.
I spent months out in my Annie when i first started exploring Lyra's, its a much better ship than the Luga, but its not my ship.
Yes its just preference, Luga every time.

O7

Fair enough, I get you. I still love using the Type 7 for the odd bit of cargo hauling, yet I have far far better ships for the job now.

The Beluga has been my favourite exploration ship, ive taken her to Beagle, Sag A* and every place a 51LY jump can get me.
It can take everything for the journey including an SLF and handles amazingly, the only downside is the fuel scoop size compared to the tank size.
Came here to say the same thing. I took a Beluga on DW2 and loved every minute of it. It is much more nimble in SC than any of the other big three. Has plenty of room for modules, limpets, SRV's and SLF's...both of which I took on DW2. Along with two AFMU units and some room for cargo. I never noticed the fuel scoop as being undersized, but DW2 was a long time ago. Long live the Explooga!

I'm guessing the Balgu needs some significant Engineering work to make it a nice place to be? As well as to get the functionality out of it you desire? FSD certainly, and perhaps Engines too, what else would you consider "critical" to Engineer to get your full enjoyment from the ship?

I do like a ship with everything I might possibly need on it. My Anaconda - well, one of them - currently fills this role. Fighter Bay, SRV Bays, extra fuel tank, AFMU, repair limpets etc. etc. Can the Baluga really be better at this role, or is it more personal preference?
Well, what is "better" other than "personal preference?" On paper, an Anaconda has "better" numbers and stats. But it's like driving a garbage scow. The Beluga's handling in SC - where most of one's time is spent while exploring - puts it over the top for me in terms of long term exploration ships. I flew two accounts on DW2. One in an Anaconda, the other in the Beluga. I much preferred the Beluga.

I'm guessing the Balgu needs some significant Engineering work to make it a nice place to be? As well as to get the functionality out of it you desire? FSD certainly, and perhaps Engines too, what else would you consider "critical" to Engineer to get your full enjoyment from the ship?
I wouldn't say "significant." D rated modules will get you more range than engineering will.
G5 FSD with Mass Manager
G5 Lightweight whatever you can
G5 Low Emissions with Thermal Spread ( crucial because the Beluga runs pretty warm)

That's what comes to mind....and now that we have the Guardian FSD booster, you could probably have a 60+ly range Beluga with little fuss.

Well, what is "better" other than "personal preference?" On paper, an Anaconda has "better" numbers and stats. But it's like driving a garbage scow. The Beluga's handling in SC - where most of one's time is spent while exploring - puts it over the top for me in terms of long term exploration ships. I flew two accounts on DW2. One in an Anaconda, the other in the Beluga. I much preferred the Beluga.

I get it, it's not just about stats, but the experience of flying the thing. I'm with you there. However, speaking personally, I'd still want the ship to be fully up to the task - if not best in class at it - like the Asp is still good at Exploration, and though it's pretty rubbish at Combat, it's still so much fun.

I wouldn't say "significant." D rated modules will get you more range than engineering will.
G5 FSD with Mass Manager
G5 Lightweight whatever you can
G5 Low Emissions with Thermal Spread ( crucial because the Beluga runs pretty warm)

That's what comes to mind....and now that we have the Guardian FSD booster, you could probably have a 60+ly range Beluga with little fuss.

Nice, thanks. I often don't go much further than that with some of my builds. I don't need armour and loads of super-resistant shields if it's not going to be in serious combat.

This is mine
Stardreamer

I could squeeze another light year or so if i downgraded stuff but why bother? Its not a huge jumper and 50LYs is plenty.
I kept the ADC after a late night accident in Colonia :ROFLMAO: and the HRP is just belt and braces.

O7

Hey all,

Cheers.
I haven’t had a Beluga since the Beta for their introduction.

I have a Dolphin that I have used as a Bubble Taxi and small cargo runs particularly for rares, it has also been used for some exploration, it is a ship I like but since it’s heat problems we’re fixed it can lead you into bad habits. Nowadays it is very resistance to internal heat build up so you can start a jump reasonably safely while still scooping handy for evading pursuers dangerous if it becomes a habit and you swap ships.

I have two Orcas one is rigged up to go visit HGEs and the like and Distress signals because it is a ship I like to fly and it is fast enough to reach them before they time out, for a while I used to use it for mining.
The second Orca started out running spirits in a rares CG years ago mainly because it is more than fast enough to get in and out of stations without getting scanned, a year ago it was reconfigured to be very fast and run at less than 20% heat then loaded up for the first time with passenger cabins (economy) and use for evacuations from Thargoid attacks. Now I am back in the bubble it has been tweaked and I am using it to find a Titan Drive what’s it for the current CG.

Apart from evacuations nothing has changed about passenger missions, they still involve you having to allow passengers onto you ship with their harassing demands.

Top Bottom