Why own one of the Passenger Liners?

Might be worth mentioning that for exobiology and just enjoying low altitude flight, the Dolphin's unobstructed cockpit view is amazing - I often fly nose tilted down using vertical thrust and hit ctrl-alt-g to turn the HUD off while scouring the landscape for especially shy biologicals. Must be about the clearest planetside view you can get without resorting to external camera trickery?

I wouldn't consider the Beluga an explorer. It's a passenger vehicle, so isn't the best choice to take out into the black. It's for ferrying people around, and you can usually refuel where people want to be dropped off/picked up.
As there are only 2 exploration ships in the game, DBX & AspX, nothing else is suitable for exploration, but other ships are pressed into service.
The Beluga is a tad toasty, it is true...

And my taking a T10 to Sag A* & back for the Explorer's Anchorage CG, armed, armoured and carrying 256 limpets on the out leg, wasn't in a sutable ship either, I suppose.

As there are only 2 exploration ships in the game, DBX & AspX, nothing else is suitable for exploration, but other ships are pressed into service.
The Beluga is a tad toasty, it is true...

And my taking a T10 to Sag A* & back for the Explorer's Anchorage CG, armed, armoured and carrying 256 limpets on the out leg, wasn't in a sutable ship either, I suppose.
You can use any ship you like for whatever purpose you like. Doesn't mean it'll be any good at it. It's up to you what you find "suitable". Not sure what point you're making...

Answer for question is similar for all ships, which arent meta for any loop.
"because I can".
Example dolphin is small, has good jump range, and AMAZING thermals. Exploration isnt about highest possible range.
Beluga maybe hasnt the biggest possible amount of passengers, but thanks to amount of optionals and sizes it is one of the best (maybe the best?) passenger ships for VIPs, and actually sometimes I'm doing this missions, some beacons in bubble are in very nice places.

You can use any ship you like for whatever purpose you like. Doesn't mean it'll be any good at it. It's up to you what you find "suitable". Not sure what point you're making...
I suppose he meant his post in reference to the name of the ships, as those are the only two Explorers, in the same vein of the thread, since the Beluga is the only Liner, after all.
The name is in no way binding, of course, as my latest passenger ship is a Vulture, and I love it. 🤭

The dolphin has become my favorite exploration ship with its ability to charge and scoop, land almost anywhere, good jump range (I think 52+LY?), and nice cockpit view. Beluga has been my ship of choice for burning station rescues (because what do you want trying to flee a station besides a ship that likes to get stuck in the toast rack??), orca I set up for pax missions but mostly ends up getting used as a terror taxi for bgs.

I use the passenger ships as passenger ships simply because it feels right to do so, despite not being the most efficient. In the same breath, I couldn't take a Dolphin trading despite being the best at in on a small pad, simply because the ship feels like it's designed for cabins, not cargo racks. Sometimes leaning into the roleplay element can alleviate the need for the logical perfection we can find ourselves facing.

I used a Beluga for laser mining before I got a Cutter, did a pretty good job with lots of jump range and cargo space although the PD is a bit undersized and a Python does a better job.
I also used one for passenger evacuation but got the tail caught on the mailbox grid so many times I gave up with it.

I wouldn't consider the Beluga an explorer
You don't know what you're missing :p
ICO9InJ.png

Any ship can be an explorer.
Especially one that looks this good doing it :cool:

O7

The dolphin has become my favorite exploration ship with its ability to charge and scoop, land almost anywhere, good jump range (I think 52+LY?), and nice cockpit view. Beluga has been my ship of choice for burning station rescues (because what do you want trying to flee a station besides a ship that likes to get stuck in the toast rack??), orca I set up for pax missions but mostly ends up getting used as a terror taxi for bgs.
You missed another fundamental aspect of the Dolphin: it is one of the sweetest ships to handle.
Its manoeuvrability is amazing!

I like a decent amount of shields and the difference between A and D rated is 0.73LY - its a no brainer for an extra 150mj.
Maybe. You're also talking to a guy who has 1A Prismatics on an exploration built Sidewinder, so....there's that.

My thing would be the edge cases and reaching otherwise inaccessible places. With neutron boosting and synthesis, that .73ly can turn into almost 3 and that's significant. Of course, now with carriers, it's a largely irrelevant point, but back before them, I would nail bite over ever decimal because I couldn't imagine myself being on the outer rim and missing out on a system because I was some decimal of a light year short on range.

Yeah but if you have to scoop, you're sitting there forever with a 128t tank ;). And while you wait for that behemoth to fill up, the Beluga cooks itself. Man, that thing runs hot. But at the same time, it's so cooooool.
With a G5 low emission A rated power plant, thermal spread experimental effect; one can full scoop and go make a drink, walk the dog, and be back to a cool cockpit. Done it many times myself.

I use the passenger ships as passenger ships simply because it feels right to do so, despite not being the most efficient. In the same breath, I couldn't take a Dolphin trading despite being the best at in on a small pad, simply because the ship feels like it's designed for cabins, not cargo racks.
Funny. I use the dolphin exclusively for small pad and rare commodities trading/CG's.

With a G5 low emission A rated power plant, thermal spread experimental effect; one can full scoop and go make a drink, walk the dog, and be back to a cool cockpit. Done it many times myself.
Yeah, with that engineering you can. I can too, cause that is what I got on mine as well. But without full LE, it is a pain and a half.

Top Bottom