Wich ship is best for exploring?

Anaconda, Asp Explorer, Diamondback Explorer, Python.​

Wich one is better for exploring? ( I have seen this types of tread, but they were form 2018-2017, too old)

There is no better without context of preference.
Anaconda is great for range and module space but poor sc performance and difficult to put down on surface.
The Asp has a great view and long range but fewer slots.
Diamondback has better range and great thermals but smaller fuel scoop and smaller slots.
Python is a good all rounder, plenty of slots, but has a poor view.
I would pick the Asp or DB personally but I prefer the Kraits.

Asp Explorer is relatively cheap, good view from the cockpit as it's quite open without hardpoints etc in the way and cheap to upgrade (to a point).

There is no better without context of preference.
Anaconda is great for range and module space but poor sc performance and difficult to put down on surface.
The Asp has a great view and long range but fewer slots.
Diamondback has better range and great thermals but smaller fuel scoop and smaller slots.
Python is a good all rounder, plenty of slots, but has a poor view.
I would pick the Asp or DB personally but I prefer the Kraits.
I have 202 mil rn, I need good ship with longest range possible, and nice slots

My preference is the asp explorer, but folks say an engineered conda is the best overall.

Whichever you enjoy flying. Considering you will be sitting in it for hours and hours on end, you want to have an enjoyable experience.
I definitely agree with the above statement, however. Pretty much any ship can be engineered to be an explorer. The best in terms of jump range? Maybe not. But you can make due with pretty much anything.

Eagle was pretty cool for exploring, but I found the Cobra was the best. Anything else is overkill....

Of course, I did the last rank of exploration in a clipper... but that was because I wanted something with style when I got my first Elite.

Truthfully, any one of those apart from the Python worked well for me. The Asp is pretty cool if you have VR too...

Asp or krait phantom. Asp is a lot cheaper but the krait has great range, pretty good views and better internals. Both also use a class 5 drive of which there is a specially engineered version which will give you more range.

Asp Explorer offers great performance (when engineered) and is possibly the 'go to' standard for exploration.

The DB is equally as good.

Asp Explorer offers great performance (when engineered) and is possibly the 'go to' standard for exploration.

The DB is equally as good.
Add SRV, FSD Booster, small shield generator, self repair device, extra fuel tank, fuel scoop...and it gets quite squeezed...

Last edited:
Personally, the best exploration ship I have is a stripped down Mamba. I can't explain it, but i just flies very well.

AspX is a really good ship. Fit the biggest possible fuel scoop, and an A-rated Power Plant. Excellent view from a not so inspiring bridge. Fit a point defense on the top and a SRV hangar, and go and get the Guardian FSD Booster, if you haven't already done so.

Phantom is a somewhat better version of the AspX. Both can reach about the jump range. The AspX is cheaper and more agile. The Phantom has a slightly more interesting bridge, but the view isn't as good as the AspX.

The Conda with a FSD Booster is the jump master, but it's big and heavy, with a bridge that looks like a 1970's Chevy. If you're a V8 fan this will be for you. On top of that you can bring a fighter, which can be nice when you're 30.000 Ly from home, and the Conda starts to feel like having concrete shoes.

Edit: The DBX does not have room for a large enough fuel scoop (you will have to slow down while scooping), but it handles well and has a great view.

Krait Phantom, on paper. But if you are serious about exploration, you will be stuck in that ship for a long time. So fly what you enjoy flying.

Tall order. Best jump ranges are DBX and Conda, but DBX has few slots, and Conda can easily go over budget. I'd advise Li Yong Rui space regardless for the discount. Phantom has the next best range, and second best space. Honestly fits the criteria the best, although maybe I'm biased as I love mine (that cockpit). Asp is about 90% of the Krait for a fraction of the price, if you want to make a more frugal purchase that fits requirements. However, the fish bowl canopy and noise it makes drove me insane, so I'm cautious recommending it fully.

Whatever you decide, remember: It's about the journey, not the destination.

Top Bottom