Will the California Sea Lion's Inclusion/Exclusion Make or Break what could be Coming our Way?

As far as I am aware, the general consensus for the next pack is North America. There seems to be mounting evidence in North America's favor, with it being one of the least represented continents ingame animal-wise and the North Africa Theme using AF_ in the files rather than NA_. I personally believe (and am hoping) for this to be the case. As such, I am looking forward to one potential animal that could either make or break the game with its inclusion (or lack thereof) - the California Sea Lion.

The California Sea Lion is one of the most charismatic animals in a zoo, given its large size, boisterous demeanor, and pronounced bark. Many zoos feature them as an entry animal, especially zoos in New York City (Bronx, Central Park, Queens, Prospect Park, and of course the New York Aquarium), sometimes displaying them prominently at the main entrance or central garden of their parks. California Sea Lions also have many wonderful behaviors that can be featured ingame, such as porpoising, swimming sideways, and maneuvering skillfully under and around rock formations in their respective habitats. I would be absolutely ECSTATIC to see their inclusion in the game, to the point that it is my firm belief (and many others) that its inclusion or exclusion could very well make or break (respectively) a prospective North America Pack.

Two reasons why I believe they could include the California Sea Lion ingame for this pack are A, its star value*, and B, the lack of its inclusion in the Aquatic Pack. B had us getting the Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman instead of the California Sea Lion. There is also precedent with us getting an aquatic animal in another DLC outside of the Aquatic Pack (the African Penguin), which gives me hope that this loud and charismatic animal will grace our zoos.

Outside of that, I do hope that with its inclusion, the prospective North America Pack will provide some of the best content Planet Zoo's had since the Africa Pack!

*(given Polar Bears in Arctic, Jaguars in South America, Kangaroos/Koalas in Australia, Penguins/Seals/Otters in Aquatic, Sun Bears in Southeast Asia, and Meerkats/White Rhinos in Africa)

Since we don't know why it was not in the aquatic pack, we can't really draw conclusions. They may have been keeping it aside for a NA/aquarium pack, but it could also be that it's rediculously hard to animate, so they just skipped it altogether. I wouldn't get my hopes up for an aquarium pack if it's not in a NA pack, or vice versa, because that's just creating baseless hype that will dissapoint people later.

Nah nothing is a real make or break for dlc. Sealions would be cool, but so would be every animal they will give us. Im having faith in them if it comes to that
Plus for NA, no matter what is included, if it's a 4+1 pack someone's top animal will be excluded, because there are more than 4 "expected" animals for this dlc. From the top of my head, i've seen people expect:
  1. California sea lion
  2. Cougar
  3. Moose
  4. American alligator
  5. Beaver
  6. Raccoon
  7. Wolverine
And that's just for the animals people are "sure" will make it, not even discussing stuff like peccaries, armadillos, or bighorn sheep. So no matter what someone's star animal is going to get excluded.

IF it is a classical north america pack and not a mountain pack or whatever, any exclusion of a california sea lion will definately dissapoint, I'm not gonna lie about that. If it has another theme, like europe, mountain pack, whatever, I'm willing to wait longer for my sea lions.

IF it is a classical north america pack and not a mountain pack or whatever, any exclusion of a california sea lion will definately dissapoint, I'm not gonna lie about that. If it has another theme, like europe, mountain pack, whatever, I'm willing to wait longer for my sea lions.
As a non-american, the sea lion dpesn't make top 10 when thinking of NA fauna, but I understand why it would be different for other people.

As a non-american, the sea lion dpesn't make top 10 when thinking of NA fauna, but I understand why it would be different for other people.
Where would you include it, if a second aquatic pack is off the table?
(Because I honestly think it is, as people could see it as "holding back animals to make more money" if there is a auatic pack 2, south america pack2 etc.)

I mean a North America pack without a California sea lion is a tough, tough sell, but given that it's been in the top 5 of both meta-wishlists since the inception, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't know that most of us are desperate for sea lions. That being the case, I'm pretty sure they'd want to deliver on that. So I wouldn't worry too much. It may even end up being a Europe pack, who knows?

(Because I honestly think it is, as people could see it as "holding back animals to make more money" if there is a auatic pack 2, south america pack2 etc.)
Best case: planet aquarium
Worse case: I wouldn't be too bummed if it's not in the game.

Of course I'd be happy for it in a NA pack

I feel this way about them withholding animals, but I'd still buy those packs. I'm desperate for more animals in this game!

I'm still hoping for a larger aquarium dlc (not a planet aquarium) that has aquarium exhibits, sea lions, manatees and some sharks/rays for habitats.

I just feel the people who love the game the most are the one's they are targetting by purposely leaving out animals...just to cash in on the fans at a later date.

I feel this way about them withholding animals, but I'd still buy those packs. I'm desperate for more animals in this game!

I'm still hoping for a larger aquarium dlc (not a planet aquarium) that has aquarium exhibits, sea lions, manatees and some sharks/rays for habitats.

I just feel the people who love the game the most are the one's they are targetting by purposely leaving out animals...just to cash in on the fans at a later date.
Tbh, withou leaving the star animals, the packs would sell well for us, hardcore animal lovers, but not so much with the casual audience. And withou additiona sales from DLCs, we would not get free updates, additional features and continous support. So It is nessecery imo to leave some popular animals out. Zoo Tycoon did the same.

I understand your argument, but you also have to regard the business side of the coin. At the end of the day, Frontier has to make money, otherwise we won't see much more zoo-related content from Frontier in future. If they release big star animals such as sea lions, cougar, moose etc. too early, only the hardcore fans will care when the North American DLC with wolverine, prairie dog, mountain goat and let's say peccary drops. Don't get me wrong, I would love such a pack because all of those are underrated and underrepresented animals that would deserve to be given a spot in the game. But the general audience will take a look at this pack and dismiss it because it isn't interesting enough. However, if there's a sea lion as a flagship animal, or even a moose, suddenly people's heads are turning. Not everyone buys all DLCs, but if there are well-known and popular animals in the pack, people are more likely to buy it; it's a simple equation.

Same thing with past DLCs. People have complained about the lack of koalas and kangaroos in the game from day one. But an Australia DLC with Cassowary, Dingo, Wombat and Emu probably wouldn't have sold as well, simply because so many more people would have considered it a nice complementary pack, but no must-have.

For me It is safe to say they are poster animals for the pack. If it will be standard pack with safari park building set then this dlc will be crucial for future.

According to the meta wishlist found here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/new-20-essential-habitat-animals-meta-wishlist.582340/

California sea lion and moose are almost tied, in #2 and #3 spots with only one vote separating them. Conceivably either one could headline a NA pack.
I couldn't see the Moose happening considering that they are not common in zoos and are really hard to keep in zoos as well. More likely we'll be getting the Sea Lion over the Moose. Sorry for those Moose lovers out there.

I couldn't see the Moose happening considering that they are not common in zoos and are really hard to keep in zoos as well. More likely we'll be getting the Sea Lion over the Moose.
My local zoo in the Midwest (USA) has moose.

And that argument could be used against the proboscis monkey as well, it's even rarer in zoos and even harder to keep based on its dietary requirements, but it made it into a DLC.

Personally I'm hoping for both moose and sea lion, but maybe I'm getting too greedy by hoping for that.

Last edited:
I couldn't see the Moose happening considering that they are not common in zoos and are really hard to keep in zoos as well. More likely we'll be getting the Sea Lion over the Moose.
I don't know where this is always coming from that a moose is not common in zoos. Perhaps they are not so often seen in classical zoos but in European especially Scandinavian "Wildparks" they are quite common. When I made holiday in Sweden 4 years ago I have seen them in a Wildpark.

Edit: I have looked at zootierliste. And the (in this case Eurasian) Moose can be seen at more places than for example a brown bear, the Cougar or the Jaguar.

Last edited:
I don't know where this is always coming from that a moose is not common in zoos. Perhaps they are not so often seen in classical zoos but in European especially Scandinavian "Wildparks" they are quite common. When I made holiday in Sweden 4 years ago I have seen them in a Wildpark.

Edit: I have looked at zootierliste. And the (in this case Eurasian) Moose can be seen at more places than for example a brown bear, the Cougar or the Jaguar.
I'm from the US. They're not common in our zoos and are hard to take care of. Maybe the European Moose are easier to manage.

Yeah but that doesnt mean they are in general uncommon in zoos. We are not even talking of the 2 proboscis monkey zoos in the world, but 132 holdings in the EAZA alone. Thats not uncommon, thats actually really common.

Top Bottom