Ships Work in Progress: Complete Full Colour ED Ship Size Chart

Here you find my complete full colour chart with all player-flyable ships in Elite: Dangerous to date shown to scale. I update this post whenever a new version of the chart is done. The charts always have a version number that correspond with the version of ED they reflects.

You'll find the download link for the full-sized DIN A2 (594 x 420 mm) PDF after the picture in the spoiler tags below.

Updated February 28, 2018 (Minor Fix March 1, 2018): Version 3.0

Changes in Version 3.0:
  • Reduced the scale by 25% (i.e. from 1:1000 to 1:1333)
  • Added the Alliance Chieftain (Oh God… It has so. Many. Corners…!! o_O)
  • Added the Type-10 Defender
  • Moved the Taipan from Lakon to Faulcon DeLacy
  • Somehow managed to massively reduce the file sizes of the PDFs without noticeable sacrificing quality (How…?! I used the same export settings.)
  • Hoped for less Lakon ships in future updates – it's getting quite crowded in that corner down there…
  • Corrected crew sizes for the Chieftain and the Keelback (now 2)

Space background version (dark):

5k PNG version (12.7 MB):

ED_Ship_Chart_V3_0.png

PDF Download (3.7 MB)

White background version:

5k PNG version (8.6 MB):

ED_Ship_Chart_White_V3_0.png

PDF Download (2.5 MB)

Updated April 13, 2017 (Minor fix May 17, 2017): Version 1.8/2.3

Changes in Version 1.8/2.3:

• Added the Dolphin
  • Better image for the Federal Dropship with less perspective distortion
  • Corrected the hull mass of the Orca to reflect the changes in 1.8/2.3
  • Added information regarding the ships' crew size (except for the ship-launched fighters, which all have an implicit crew size of 1)
  • Corrected Landing Pad Size for the Fed. Corvette

Space background version (dark):

5k PNG version (14.0 MB):

ED_Ship_Chart_V2_3.png

PDF Download (9.2 MB)

White background version:

5k PNG version (11.0 MB):

ED_Ship_Chart_White_V2_3.png

PDF Download (8.0 MB)

Updated November 4, 2016: Version 1.7/2.2
Changes in Version 1.7/2.2:
  • Added the Beluga Liner, F63 Condor, Gu-97 Imperial Fighter, and Taipan
  • Better image for the Anaconda
  • General re-arrangements
  • PNG versions now in whopping 5k

Updated January 20, 2016: Version 1.5.04/2.0.04
Changes in Version 1.5.04/2.0.04:
  • Better pictures for the Anaconda, Fed. Assault Ship, Fed. Gunship, and Fer-de-Lance with less distortion and/or shine

Things to do:
Sooner or later, the same has to be done for the Fed. Dropship and the Type-7.

Updated December 16, 2015: Version 1.5/2.0
Here's the new version to match Elite Dangerous 1.5, and ED Horizons 2.0 respectively. Since I figured out what caused the problems earlier, I can finally export the chart as PDF again (although I had to change my workflow for that – on the other hand, the PDFs are now smaller).

Changes in Version 1.5/2.0:
  • Added the Asp Scout, Cobra Mk. IV, Lakon Keelback, Federal Corvette, Imperial Cutter, and Viper Mk. IV.
  • Exchanged the picture for the Imperial Clipper (now without scratches)
  • Improved measurements for the Diamondbacks, the Imp. Eagle, the Imp. Courier, the Fed. Gunship, and the Fed. Assault Ship.

Things to do:
I wanted to replace some of the pictures that suffer from severe perspective distortions (primarily the Fed. Ships and the Type-7), are crooked (like the FdL), and/or are problematic for other reasons (e.g. the Anaconda, that's a bit too shiny). I already have better pictures for most of these, but haven't implemented them yet, since wanted to push out the new version for Horizons first. I will probably have them fixed with the next release.

The version with a white background will follow shortly.

Updated September 30, 2015: Version 1.4 (beta)

Essentially, the new version 1.4 is done, but unfortunately, due to problems with the illustration software I use, I cannot export it as PDF at the moment. You can find a preliminary PNG version in the spoiler tags below, but it might be a while until I can upload the proper hi-res version again.

You can still find the printable PDF version 1.3 below.

Changes in Version 1.4 (beta):
  • Added Federal Assault Ship, Federal Gunship, and Imperial Eagle (note that the measurements of the dimensions for the Federal ships are still somewhat rough)
  • Added the Cargo Canister
  • Straightened the Anaconda and the Orca
  • Some re-arrangements

Updated August 11, 2015: Version 1.3

Changes (in regard to the last preview):

• Added actual pictures for the Python, the Anaconda, the Imperial Clipper, and the Type-9 (Thanks to AlexBrentnall, Dawnfire and Mephane!)
  • Replaced the Type-7, Fer-de-Lance, (Thanks to AlexBrentnall and Mephane, again!) and the Eagle with better versions
  • Replaced Cobra Mk. III with Wireframe skinned version (Thanks to Ravenov!)
  • Added manufacturer logos
  • All image masks prettified (sooo pretty now…)
  • Improved the labels
  • Eagle now correctly labeled at "Mk. II"
  • Sources and copyright notices
  • Kitchen cleaned

Known issues:
  • I'll have to touch up some of the manufacturer logos: the vectorisation wasn't always perfect
  • Depending on the used printer, there might be issues with the overprinting in parts of the background grid. I have yet to figure out how to get around these.

Original Post:
(This is in part a continuation from this thread.)

Well, prefim's ship size comparison on reddit certainly steals somewhat the thunder from my project, but I'm working on a new poster-sized chart with all ships in Elite: Dangerous shown to scale (at least the player flyable ones). While not completed yet, I'd like to present the current state of the project to you:

RdV4cEv.jpg
The final version will be a DIN A2 sized (594 x 420 cm), print quality PDF.

You'll probably notice that a couple of the ships are missing a picture. Apart from the (currently) understandable omissions of the Diamondback and the Courier, the other missing ships are simply too big to take a picture of them with the debug camera when you are alone. I also want to replace the pictures of the Type-7, the Orca and the Dropship, since they are badly perspectively distorted and in the case of the Dropship even missing some parts of the winglets. (The pictures of the Adder and the Fer de Lance are also slightly problematic, since the viewpoint isn't straight from top down.)

If anyone would like to help out with suitable pictures, I would be much obliged. You'll probably need two persons to make these pictures: one flies the ship in question, the other is the cameraman. The viewpoint should be directly above the ship, the light source dead ahead and about 45° above. The resolution should be at least 1920x1080.

So, what do you think? Suggestions? Criticisms?

Oh, and I might have a little teaser for a possible future extension of this project:

0sQw6rJl.jpg

Yes, these ships are to scale… ;)

Last edited:
Great piece of work, a white background option would be useful though so that print costs come down! Also, add a person on it for perspective on size.
Lastly, maybe a front and back view as well?

Great piece of work, a white background option would be useful though so that print costs come down! Also, add a person on it for perspective on size.
Lastly, maybe a front and back view as well?
I had planned some space picture as background for the final version, but a white version is a good suggestion. Noted.

I'm definitely also planning to add a human shape (and a scale bar) for comparison.

But I think I'll stick to showing only the top-down view: I can see the benefits of having a front and side view, but this would ultimately be quite cluttered. Especially, when you keep in mind that there will be 11 more ships to add in the future. ;)

Last edited:
good work, would be perfect if you could class them by size and/or constructor
You mean that I group the ships from Core Dynamics, Zorgon Peterson, etc.? That's actually one of the possible ways of sorting I'm considering. I already tried sorting by size, but that makes the chart optically very unbalanced. (But that gives me the idea to include the required pad size for the ships.)

I had planned some space picture as background for the final version, but a white version is a good suggestion. Noted....
A particular method to make the white background easier might be to find an icy planet to take the screenshot against. You can get quite close to any body, nearly filling the screen in every case I believe.

Looks cool.
I'm a physics and IT teacher - got my IT class interested in ED while using it to teach them about client/server/IP stuff.
Finish it and I'll print one off to put on the wall :)

Looking good. Can't wait to see the finished version.
p.s. you should definitely include the Millennium Falcon as a size comparison.

(This is in part a continuation from this thread.)

Well, prefim's ship size comparison on reddit certainly steals somewhat the thunder from my project, but I'm working on a new poster-sized chart with all ships in Elite: Dangerous shown to scale (at least the player flyable ones). While not completed yet, I'd like to present the current state of the project to you:

The final version will be a DIN A2 sized (594 x 420 cm), print quality PDF.

You'll probably notice that a couple of the ships are missing a picture. Apart from the (currently) understandable omissions of the Diamondback and the Courier, the other missing ships are simply too big to take a picture of them with the debug camera when you are alone. I also want to replace the pictures of the Type-7, the Orca and the Dropship, since they are badly perspectively distorted and in the case of the Dropship even missing some parts of the winglets. (The pictures of the Adder and the Fer de Lance are also slightly problematic, since the viewpoint isn't straight from top down.)

If anyone would like to help out with suitable pictures, I would be much obliged. You'll probably need two persons to make these pictures: one flies the ship in question, the other is the cameraman. The viewpoint should be directly above the ship, the light source dead ahead and about 45° above. The resolution should be at least 1920x1080.

So, what do you think? Suggestions? Criticisms?

Oh, and I might have a little teaser for a possible future extension of this project:

http://i.imgur.com/0sQw6rJl.jpg
Yes, these ships are to scale… ;)

Amazing. Please can I get a PSD or whatever its called of the Cobra and Falcon. I need a poster. Well I do now. Fantastic. I need it, Could you do one with the wire frame skin too? I'll donate.

EDIT Can you add a person or something else to give scale? Blue phone box even?

- - - Updated - - -

I need these both as 4K. I need them.

They are quite adequate :)

Last edited:
Amazing. Please can I get a PSD or whatever its called of the Cobra and Falcon. I need a poster. Well I do now. Fantastic. I need it, Could you do one with the wire frame skin too? I'll donate.

EDIT Can you add a person or something else to give scale? Blue phone box even?

- - - Updated - - -

I need these both as 4K. I need them.

They are quite adequate :)
You mean something like this? ;)

y2rFQYV.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have the Wireframe skin, and it's no longer on sale.

I also just noticed that PDF and PSD (Photoshop) exports seem to be somewhat problematic. I'll add download links to these versions as soon as I figured out where the problem lies.

Figured the problem out. Here's the PDF (9.5 MB).

The exported hi-resolution PSD file gets quite bloated, though (>350 MB). I can upload it, if someone really wants it, but I wouldn't recommend it: not only are the layers very messy, it apparently can only be opened with some versions of Photoshop.

Last edited:
could you make the Clipper plz ?
The Clipper is unfortunately tricky, just like the 'Conda and the Type-9: these three are too big to easily get suitable pictures of them and severe perspective distortions prevent stitching their pictures together with panorama software.

i understand, and everybody will, just do your best to have a picture as balanced as possible, we can always figure out how to improve it later

One possibility is to take the picture from further away. You'll get less 'distortion' on it if you do so.

You'll need a partner to take a shot, but you can't take hi-res shots outside of Solo so someone would have to have some kind of monster native resolution, and monster graphics to do it as the ship image will be small AND it needs to render full details at a further distance.

Status update: the current version is below.

ozP4Ic0.jpg

What has changed?
  • Added the Diamondback Scout, the Diamondback Explorer and the Imperial Courier (the dimensions given are my own measurements and might be slightly off)
  • Added an Elite: Dangerous logo
  • Added a 10 m bar and a human shape for scale (try to find the little dude!)
  • Added a background picture
  • Replaced the pictures for the Federal Dropship, the Adder, the Fer-de-Lance, the Orca and the Type-7 with better versions
  • Brightened the pictures of the Viper, the Hauler and the Asp a little bit to make them better visible
  • Changed the spelling of several names to make them match the in-game spelling
  • Prettifed some of the image masks
  • Added actual outlines as placeholders for the Python, the Anaconda, the Imperial Clipper and the Type-9
  • Regrouped the ships by manufacturer

What's still do to?
  • Actual pictures for the Python, the Anaconda, the Imperial Clipper and the Type-9
  • I'm still not satisfied with the Fer-de-Lance and the Type-7 (still crooked)
  • Title text, sources and copyright notices
  • White background version
  • More image masks to prettify
  • Maybe manufacturer logos?
  • At least 10 more ships to add… when FD implements them
  • Clean kitchen

Last edited:
Top Bottom