Would you like to see Missile Boats to be viable?

I sure would. But the low ammo count and the low dps is not really making it possible right now. Or should I say annoying?
We need bigger Missiles (Cruise Missiles anyone?) and way more ammo on them to make them really viable.
Right now, every ship basically plays roughly the same in terms of Combat. I want something completely different.
Lock-On Missiles are no different from Gimballed, so I don't see why they are so vastly limited.

Last edited:
I made a suggestion about a missile overhaul. Complete with missile customisation!

It would be nice to have dedicated missile boats.

I do love using missiles now they're not completely useless.

No, the developers time and effort. Increase hitting power of weapons, then buff armour, then buff weapons etc. I would like to see better scanning of planets, atmospheric probes and exploration vehicles. Ground based mining rigs for miners and stuff like that. The only improvements for exploration have been the system map now looks nicer, the ability to plot 1000 LY and filter star types. Yes we can drive about on the surface but the only reason to do it is to get resources to fuel the buggy so you can...... drive about some more :)

They are kind of viable.

If you're thinking on spending 2 hours in a CZ or RES, then they aren't viable.

But for dealing with the attackers during your mission running, trading, passengers, etc (everything with includes regular station docking) they are very viable. They wreak havoc of other ships modules and their damage since 2.1 is more than enough to take them down. I have missiles only on one of my Cobras, and 4 missile launchers on my passenger/mission runner Asp.

You can get even more ammo if you engineer your missile launchers, go for increased ammo mod.

With extended mags you can have about 100 dumb fires. You can have overload munisions and they fly as fast as plasma but also inherit your ships speed and take far less wep cap. You can also have penetrator missles mixed in. One missle boat viable and redy to go. :) no?

No, the developers time and effort. Increase hitting power of weapons, then buff armour, then buff weapons etc. I would like to see better scanning of planets, atmospheric probes and exploration vehicles. Ground based mining rigs for miners and stuff like that. The only improvements for exploration have been the system map now looks nicer, the ability to plot 1000 LY and filter star types. Yes we can drive about on the surface but the only reason to do it is to get resources to fuel the buggy so you can...... drive about some more :)

Yeah, exploring planets is nothing real space explorers care about. And even if they did, making the procgen techniques was probably thirty minutes work. On the other hand, changing the value of a certain weapon variable must have taken many, many months of all devs together. Its totally unacceptable. I am so sick of it. Everyone else got amazing awesome super-deep gameplay changes. Mining is now super-thrilling, piracy is the hype of the moment and bounty hunters really get to stalk their prey for days with these new highly detailed missions. Poor, poor explorers. So unfair. So very, very unfair.

:rolleyes:

I know you are being sarcastic but dont Bounty hunters and pirate use the new improved weaponry? Yes nothing for miners since limpets.

With extended mags you can have about 100 dumb fires. You can have overload munisions and they fly as fast as plasma but also inherit your ships speed and take far less wep cap. You can also have penetrator missles mixed in. One missle boat viable and redy to go. :) no?

I would more call that a rocket boat.

Pack launchers can get around 200 ammo but that's about 50 salvoes so it's not THAT much really.

Seeker missiles, even worse since you can only get 100% more.

And lets not even talk about torpedoes. Ok, they are more powerful and can do serious damage - if they hit.

And i can only carry ONE. Now, the 3d model for the Torpedoes are so tiny it's not funny and they only do a little more than twice the damage of a dumbfire (50 vs 120)

And if i can choose 100 dumbfires instead of 1 torpedo the choice is not that hard.

It is, at least for PvE. Unless I missed something, been now out exploring for a while, but last time I was in the bubble my T9 missile boat did wreck those Elite NPC Pirates.

It is, at least for PvE. Unless I missed something, been now out exploring for a while, but last time I was in the bubble my T9 missile boat did wreck those Elite NPC Pirates.

For PVE missiles are usually good.

Pack launchers are fine and so are Dumbfires.

Ammunition IS an issue though.

Missiles have the same ammunition values since inception while all others (cannons, rails and frag) have gained serious ammunition boosts.

I mean, who in their right mind choose ONE small torpedo over anything else?

If anything torpedoes should punch ABOVE their weight and ignore ship size modifiers when hitting since that was normally their job, to take out large targets while carried by smaller vessels.

I've been using the Keelback primarily in PVP, as a missile and Torpedo boat. 2xC2 Sturdy Mount Torpedo Pylon with Reverb Cascade (4 Torpedoes) Then 2xC1 Grade 5 High Capacity Seeker Racks with Emissive and Drag Munitions effect, that's total of 44 seeker rounds or 22 if fired pairs. In addition, the Keelback will launch a SLF Fixed Multicannon Condor providing both hull damage or distract the target long enough for Torpedo/seeker locks. It's already viable. I made my Keelback hull tanked and utilize silent running during combat.

I've been using the Keelback primarily in PVP, as a missile and Torpedo boat. 2xC2 Sturdy Mount Torpedo Pylon with Reverb Cascade (4 Torpedoes) Then 2xC1 Grade 5 High Capacity Seeker Racks with Emissive and Drag Munitions effect, that's total of 44 seeker rounds or 22 if fired pairs. In addition, the Keelback will launch a SLF Fixed Multicannon Condor providing both hull damage or distract the target long enough for Torpedo/seeker locks. It's already viable. I made my Keelback hull tanked and utilize silent running during combat.

i run the viper 3 as a hit an run torp ship , primarily for shield tanking big 3's ... true it does make a dent in the old restock but its worth the price of admission to see them behemoths shields go pop and an unweary cmdr to soil the undergarments (generally followed by the hogwarts school of wizardry disappearing act).

Last edited:
I thought they already were.

Using a DBS with 4x Engi'd missile racks for skimmer kill missions is good fun.

I wish I had four pack hound racks though. Are those PP only?

Those 2 medium mounts could instead hold 2 pack launchers with 200 missiles each which is a total of 100 salvoes and overload munitions effect.

Personally I prefer the increased ammunition it gives as it gives me more time for more engagements between ammo refills.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought they already were.

Using a DBS with 4x Engi'd missile racks for skimmer kill missions is good fun.

Unfortunately, and they ARE fun.

A gunship with 4 of them is a fun barbeque since I always go over 100% heat with them.

i run 2 small missile racks on my pve combat cobra ... it is a good combination with longrange beam and overcharged MC. i also use them unengineered on my DBS on my secondary non-horizons account for killstealing in high CZ.

still, i wonder about a full missile boat set-up, which does not include reverberating cascade ... i'm looking at a viper ... something like two overload munition missile racks and two for hull damage... but than, other weapons are to good at hulldamage and shielddamage ---- or am i missing something?

as it is, missiles fill a niche nicely - for killing thrusters in piracy, for stripping ship from hardpoints and utilities, but a full missile boat isn't a good idea against any medium/large/huge ship in sustained combat pve. would be nice if that would change ....

yep, and they only come in medium racks.

Top Bottom