On-Foot Component Farming - my favorite methods

And here we go, though they aren't all that common even though they are used in lots of 10 for several mods..
1699652623078.png

I have no idea, I have a definite impression that moving around changes what drops, but some are much harder to come by than others. Since I'm stocking up I'm only going to take missions that give 5 data, that should give me an idea about what I haven't found in collections of 5. It would seem reasonable that the BGS would have an influence on what missions are given out and what's on the loot table. I think there is a rough correlation between mission types and drop tables, but it's just an impression so far.

Though I reserve the right to also take missions for 3 schematics or MIs if I'm short of missions.. :D

I've been all over that system and have done dozens of missions. Never saw one single drop of that mat, not one at either the station or the outpost. It's interesting that you think moving around changes the drops, because I was wondering that myself as I see a ton of materials at sites on 1st visit but if I return there's often a very sparse offering and in fact, it's not uncommon that many if not most materials aren't even in the containers, but laying about. The containers are often empty.

I haven't gotten any feel for data offerings though, but I did go to one site yesterday that had so much usable data in the ports I thought I might have to visit the SRV just to continue. Never had that happen before. No WTD though. Another repower site had a total of 20 mats I could find including data (1 offering at each port). I feel like, based on many iterations, I find a lot more data and other mats from completing missions and being a thief in the process than just raiding random bases.

Last edited:
I've been all over that system and have done dozens of missions. Never saw one single drop of that mat, not one at either the station or the outpost. It's interesting that you think moving around changes the drops, because I was wondering that myself as I see a ton of materials at sites on 1st visit but if I return there's often a very sparse offering and in fact, it's not uncommon that many if not most materials aren't even in the containers, but laying about. The containers are often empty.

I haven't gotten any feel for data offerings though, but I did go to one site yesterday that had so much usable data in the ports I thought I might have to visit the SRV just to continue. Never had that happen before. No WTD though. Another repower site had a total of 20 mats I could find including data (1 offering at each port). I feel like, based on many iterations, I find a lot more data and other mats from completing missions and being a thief in the process than just raiding random bases.
I suppose it's possible that it's all just random generation. Possibly it's not a good way to find data if you are looking for something specific needed for a mod or upgrade. I'm just building up stock for future upgrades, and like that it seems to work well just to pick up missions for 5 data while doing BGS or other stuff in the game. Maybe if looking for specific materials it's best to take any mission even if it only gives one or a couple of data.. I'm mostly finding finding missions until the end when I'm nearly full, which is when the mission board starts to become useless.

I suppose it's possible that it's all just random generation. Possibly it's not a good way to find data if you are looking for something specific needed for a mod or upgrade. I'm just building up stock for future upgrades, and like that it seems to work well just to pick up missions for 5 data while doing BGS or other stuff in the game. Maybe if looking for specific materials it's best to take any mission even if it only gives one or a couple of data.. I'm mostly finding finding missions until the end when I'm nearly full, which is when the mission board starts to become useless.
I found a mission for 4 of these recently. Nothing since. This is obviously one of the control pieces. It's not coincidence. The mission board becomes useless only because the bulk of the value of reward is in materials. The payouts are 2015 level.

I found a mission for 4 of these recently. Nothing since. This is obviously one of the control pieces. It's not coincidence. The mission board becomes useless only because the bulk of the value of reward is in materials. The payouts are 2015 level.
The best part is when you find a concourse guy giving you a mat you want. Do you take the gamble of trying to negotiate a higher pay and risk having the mat reward removed completely or just take the certainly of a lower payout? It's the thrill of these things happening that make this game! 😄

It's very nice to get 10 MIs for a short mission, and yes the gambling does add some spice.

Or you get offered 5 of a mat you really want, but it's a covert no kill extraction mission. Is it worth the time trying to pull it off, have I done this before, is it gonna work out...

FWIW, I don't do missions for credits, just for mats or for BGS. What I meant is that when I've filled up on the bulk of mats I need, I don't find many missions for the last missing mats. But it seems like the bulk of what I do ends up being assassinations, they seem to reward most of what I want, are fast and easy to complete while taking an APEX (which means I can go AFK for awhile). Of course I steal anything that I come across as well :)

FWIW, I don't do missions for credits, just for mats or for BGS. What I meant is that when I've filled up on the bulk of mats I need, I don't find many missions for the last missing mats. But it seems like the bulk of what I do ends up being assassinations, they seem to reward most of what I want, are fast and easy to complete while taking an APEX (which means I can go AFK for awhile). Of course I steal anything that I come across as well :)
Neither do I. I was talking about the crazy mechanism of negotiating away the mat reward which is present in the game.

I would pass up fewer missions if they at least offered credit rewards if they aren't going to offer material rewards. As someone here said recently, a lot of these options are really just "fill in the blank" place holders. I mean, who takes the missions for 200K credits and no materials, on foot, where life and limb are at stake? Reputation and influence aren't exaggerated either. There always has to be some options you personally aren't interested in, but someone should be.

The best part is when you find a concourse guy giving you a mat you want. Do you take the gamble of trying to negotiate a higher pay and risk having the mat reward removed completely or just take the certainly of a lower payout? It's the thrill of these things happening that make this game! 😄
True, so sometimes if I don't want anything they are offering I will play with the RNG to see what happens.

Look what I just found, but these can be quite sweaty. Sometimes easy and sometimes very hard..

View attachment 374644
I don't know if there's a specific value assigned to WTD that's greater than say MIs or Reactor Output Reviews, but the drops are much more rare so I'd think so, which would naturally lead me to conclude sweatier missions reward with rarer mats. I don't think this should be so mysterious, so that the grind conspiracy seems to be the only logical angle.

Not sure. I think it's random, it's a mat used for several mods but rare which makes it somewhat annoying. Probably best to take any missions that reward them, especially if you really need them quickly..

Just found this which is a low skill job.
1700615994047.png

I have enough of these mats now. I acquired them 2 at a time over many sessions. I've sold off dozens of other data and several carrier's full of assets and goods in the process. Even now I sit on a ship full of mats and a carrier with 1000/1000. All told I collected 13 WTD mats in the process. The only mats I have are used in engineering or upgrades of suits and weapons. I don't collect the other things (but I have grabbed some to sell if I knew I was going to the bartender anyhow).

Last edited:
Top Bottom