On-Foot Component Farming - my favorite methods

Note: This is not aimed towards OP, who jut shared his bag of tricks. It's more my usual old man yelling at coulds rant.

relog gameplay is the worst gameplay in existence. It is orders of magnitude more "soul crushing" than any of the so-called engineer grind. The problem lies much deeper. Elite, by its nature, is a career game. A career that takes time. A lot of time. People, on the other hand, are gamers who, on average, have not been blessed with a lot of patience. Cue all sorts of content creators on YT and elsewhere who will make "best start" "easy mode" "fastest way" guides exploiting the heck out of the game, the player, and the fun.

For PvE at least, you don't really need any of those shortcuts. For anything other than combat, you don't really need much. And in combat, the strength of your enemies usually grows along with your rank, so you have "time" to evolve your gear along with your skills and ranks. It's the comparison and competition with other players, paired with the above mentioned lack of restraint and patience in the average gamer, that makes them want "the best" now, or better, yesterday. Which is sad.

Funny story: Starfield wasn't out for a full day, when my YT start page was already filled with all sorts of "get rich quick", get best armor, best ship, and other nonsense game guides, promoting exploits or telling people to rush skip the main story so they can get to a NG+, because "that's where the real game starts". In a single player game, where the journey is the destination! Gamers, especially on the interwebs, do everything in their power to farm the fun out of any game.

I'm somewhere between 2600 and 3000 hours on my main character - I don't know the exact number, been a while since I last looked into the codex. I started pretty exactly four years ago, and out of my however many hours I have done relog gameplay less than half a percent (and that's probably generous). In the beginning, I did a few rounds at Dav's Hope and did a few rounds at Jamesons Cobra, and I spent maybe half an hour or so at an irregular marker mission POI. Almost all the assets I gained in game I have done so through "normal" gameplay - mostly mission rewards, bounty hunting with a collector limpet for basic manufactured mats, I pick up the occasional HGE but I don't relog on them, I scan every ship I encounter for encoded mats, and lately AX missions are the main source for my engineering materials... it is doable as long as your expectation isn't that you always have a full stock of materials so you can fully engineer five ships at once from scratch or want to fully engineer and upgrade five suits and ten weapons at once.

Last edited:
I refrain from abandoning restoration missions for power regulators, cause they hit your reputation and are not guaranteed to be available

I dont get this 👆
What is not guaranteed to be available? The restore missions?
If so, the restore missions will always be available in various systems in the bubble simply because they are caused by BGS states that are bound to happen from time to time.

So all you have to do is to search Inara for systems with factions affected by the states that are creating abandoned settlements, then see if the faction affected is owning any settlements. IF so, they will be shutdown and you can keep restoring them for as long that faction is in the require state

Check this thread to find out what causes restore missions

And, in other news, if i need power regulators i will abandon a number of restore missions since i can get back the rep by doing more restore missions 🤷‍♂️

I dont get this 👆
If so, the restore missions will always be available in various systems in the bubble simply because they are caused by BGS states that are bound to happen from time to time.

So all you have to do is to search Inara for systems with factions affected by the states that are creating abandoned settlements, then see if the faction affected is owning any settlements. IF so, they will be shutdown and you can keep restoring them for as long that faction is in the require state

And, in other news, if i need power regulators i will abandon a number of restore missions since i can get back the rep by doing more restore missions 🤷‍♂️
Or just move on to another system, no need to farm in systems where you care about your rep..

Yes I won't dispute anyone's right to play the game as they wish.
Good.
ehh...
on the other hand if one can pick up an engineer unlock, suit/weapon upgrade or mod every 3-4 hours of playing, then at least IMO that's the more rewarding way to play.
As you said - "I won't dispute anyone's right to play the game as they wish."
And what's one supposed to do once all is unlocked and all the gear modded, raid settlements for more mats?
If your argument is "force yourself to play the game with unupgraded junk cause you won't need to play when you've upgraded" then this is not convincing to me. I will still enjoy doing challenging missions for fun just as I enjoy occasionally bounty hunting in my reverski rail krait or core mining in my python. However, NOW I want to unlock stuff, that's my goal, and for that I will look for optimal ways to get what I need, cause this is fun to me.
Though I still enjoy the tactics of raiding, can I do this assassination in a military settlement without turning off the alarms and still get away in an APEX. I also do enjoy on footie war for BGS purposes, etc.
And I will too - with gear I will have assembled as I want it.

Note: This is not aimed towards OP, who jut shared his bag of tricks. It's more my usual old man yelling at coulds rant.
Will take that into account.
relog gameplay is the worst gameplay in existence.
Disagreed. I treat it as a mini-game. It's some research and practice to effectively get around a grindy problem. As a programmer, this is my 8 hours of every workday, something I enjoy, I have no issue with it.
Which is sad.
What is sad is that you can't comprehend that someone might enjoy playing the game you play in a different way than you consider to be the one, true, orthodox, kosher, proper way to play.
I'm somewhere between 2600 and 3000 hours on my main character
OK so just because you spend 10x more time in the game than I can afford and therefore are able to unlock all the shizz you want in reasonable time, I am now morally obliged to wait 10 years to get the engineering upgrades I want, cause I should do it the ONE TRUE way.
Dude, geez, if you want to (and can afford to) spend 34328974923 hours killing 239208 mobs and robbing 32498 settlements to get one fkin' mod, that's good for you. Do your thing. Don't blame me for deciding to spend 2 hours instead and then proceeding to enjoy the game the way I want it.

PS. I know you said "not aimed towards OP", but you did then proceed to full red whine about people who want to do things faster than you deem appropriate, which includes me, so yeah... your carpet bombing may not have aimed at my house, but you sure as hell failed to miss ;) .

I dont get this 👆

I know what causes restore missions. What I am saying is that they are in limited quantity wherever they are and you need to do quite a bit to find more and/or undo the rep damage. To me, that's unnecessary hassle - I'd rather just farm the one bloody eagle for half that time with no need to search for infrastructure failure factions with settlements and worry about rep.
Not to mention that abandoning missions to steal the power regulator really isn't any less hacky than relog in my opinion ;)

defendPR.jpg

These are more fun to do. I think part of the issue is the sheer numbers required, Frontier are a bit obsessed with that. If the numbers were smaller, but missions like these were more common, even if harder to do the situation might be better. Then it would feel more like it's about skill and play instead of how long you are prepared to spend doing silly things.🤷‍♂️

View attachment 369868
These are more fun to do. I think part of the issue is the sheer numbers required, Frontier are a bit obsessed with that. If the numbers were smaller, but missions like these were more common, even if harder to do the situation might be better. Then it would feel more like it's about skill and play instead of how long you are prepared to spend doing silly things.🤷‍♂️
Yeah I enjoy doing those as well. But having them come with a reward of something I need is rare.

Good.

ehh...

As you said - "I won't dispute anyone's right to play the game as they wish."

If your argument is "force yourself to play the game with unupgraded junk cause you won't need to play when you've upgraded" then this is not convincing to me. I will still enjoy doing challenging missions for fun just as I enjoy occasionally bounty hunting in my reverski rail krait or core mining in my python. However, NOW I want to unlock stuff, that's my goal, and for that I will look for optimal ways to get what I need, cause this is fun to me.

And I will too - with gear I will have assembled as I want it.
Well, I just wanted to inject my personal point of view that it's more fun to pick up the mats while doing stuff in the game, instead of relogging to get the mats. That's all. If you enjoy relogging to pick up mats that's totally fine with me, and honestly how could it be any other way, it's really of no concern to me if you relog or not.

Each to his own!

I know what causes restore missions. What I am saying is that they are in limited quantity wherever they are and you need to do quite a bit to find more and/or undo the rep damage.
Unless something change recently, i would get between 4 and 8 restore missions if a single faction is in a bad state.
Sure, when i need materials and go on a restore spree - i pick systems with factions that have at least 20+ settlements - so the board is almost always populated. I usually stack 6-10 restore missions and do them in one go.
So when i need Power Regulators, out of those 6-10 missions i will do the ones with the material rewards that are interesting me, while the other i will abandon and i will recover the lost rep from the missions im going to do. 50-50

View attachment 369868

those are kinda rare.
kinda really rare

I wish they increased the number of these missions, like a bit more difficult than the run of the mill fetch this or deliver this, but with really good rewards. Like 5 PR or 10 MI

Struck a nerve, eh? You take it far too personal. Let me elaborate.

Disagreed. I treat it as a mini-game. It's some research and practice to effectively get around a grindy problem. As a programmer, this is my 8 hours of every workday, something I enjoy, I have no issue with it.
You can of course treat it as a minigame as your head canon. But realistically, relogging isn't gameplay. Its borderline an exploit to get around the limitations (or perceived limitations) of the gameplay a game provides. It's very rarely, if ever, intended gameplay, and it's a bit sad that Frontier crossed that "intended gameplay" line more than a few times (guardian artifact CG anyone?).

What is sad is that you can't comprehend that someone might enjoy playing the game you play in a different way than you consider to be the one, true, orthodox, kosher, proper way to play.
Don't confuse me disapproving with not being able to comprehend. Truth is, rarely anyone enjoys relog gaming. In fact, the forums and other places are full of people complaining of being forced to relog and having their souls crushed. You enjoy it? More power to you. I mean it. But statistically you're a minority.

I've seen it before countless times, both in players as well as in the frikkin' content creators who do those grind guides: Grind the heck out of the game to have the best start, to have the best gear to finally start playing, and then... realizing there is nothing left, because there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and blame the game or Frontier for it instead themselves. They grinded away the gameplay, and now there is nothing left, and they are burned out and disenfranchised.

OK so just because you spend 10x more time in the game than I can afford and therefore are able to unlock all the shizz you want in reasonable time, I am now morally obliged to wait 10 years to get the engineering upgrades I want, cause I should do it the ONE TRUE way.
Dude, geez, if you want to (and can afford to) spend 34328974923 hours killing 239208 mobs and robbing 32498 settlements to get one fkin' mod, that's good for you. Do your thing. Don't blame me for deciding to spend 2 hours instead and then proceeding to enjoy the game the way I want it.
I added my playtime because earlier you asked others for it. With, let's call them 2800 hours in four years I'm probably still on the low side of the long time players of the game - on average, that's about 14 hours per week. There are people here who almost play 14 hours a day.

Of these hours, I spent very little time with... let's call it "direct material acquisition", and I certainly didn't spend "34328974923 hours killing 239208 mobs and robbing 32498 settlements to get one fkin' mod". In fact, on the point of Odyssey engineering, I spent pretty little time on that exclusively. That's not to say I didn't do a lot of on-foot gameplay; but I did it because I enjoyed it, and in the process the materials just rolled in, either from looting said settlements, or from mission rewards connected to it.

I have engineered... I think five suits and five or six weapons over the span of... six? eight? I dunno? weeks or so. I started off with some storebought G3 gear (which is not too difficult to find), made a list what I wanted and what my priorities were, and chipped away at it. I just played the game and had a lot of fun while doing it. Why grind for engineering suits and guns, which you almost only need to raid settlements, if you don't enjoy doing that?

PS. I know you said "not aimed towards OP", but you did then proceed to full red whine about people who want to do things faster than you deem appropriate, which includes me, so yeah... your carpet bombing may not have aimed at my house, but you sure as hell failed to miss ;) .
I will continue to publically disapprove of relog gameplay as long as there are people out there following stupid "best start" grind guides and then complaining that they are burned out on the game because of it. Again, the forums are full of people like that who did the grind because "X on YT said it would give the best start" who then ruined the game for them. Relog gameplay should not be the accepted norm, it is toxic for the long term enjoyment of the game.

I will shut up once the people who promote relog gaming and grinding in general stop complaining about it ;).

And yes, that is "just my opinion, man".

Last edited:
P.S.: Not to toot my own horn (well, a little bit), but my style of gameplay (which I assure you, is very, very relaxed) yields me so many enginerring materials and engineer or tech broker unlocks that I've given away loads of tme for essentially free to other players who needed them. So I must be doing something right...

I have only one question - how many hours spent in game?
Only around 7,000 hours so far.
relog gameplay is the worst gameplay in existence.
I agree, but some others would disagree as they don't have time to play, or something.
Well, I just wanted to inject my personal point of view that it's more fun to pick up the mats while doing stuff in the game, instead of relogging to get the mats.
I agree entirely...

Me? I pick up mats etc by just slaughtering inhabitants of Lawful settlements - gives me a lot of fun, minor bounties, and, once notoriety is at 10 (a familair state) it doesn't make any difference to C&P stats.

I do have the option to play whenever, and for as long, as I wish, true. A luxury others may not have.

Well, I just wanted to inject my personal point of view that it's more fun to pick up the mats while doing stuff in the game, instead of relogging to get the mats. That's all. If you enjoy relogging to pick up mats that's totally fine with me, and honestly how could it be any other way, it's really of no concern to me if you relog or not.

Each to his own!
That's all great, but let me be clear - it's not that I particularly enjoy relogging per se. It's not like I start the game and turn it off five times before I take off in my ship every time I sit down to play, just because I like the loading screen. What I am saying is that when I have a goal in mind - engineer unlock, particular mod combination on a gun etc. - and I am faced with the prospect of "just doing stuff" for 10 hours and collecting stuff by the way of it OR focusing for 30 minutes on the less-fun-but-more-efficient relog dance, I prefer the latter. I like quitting the game having achieved something, it's a satisfaction of a mission accomplished that is pleasant to me, and the relog dance is just a means to an end.
Struck a nerve, eh? You take it far too personal.
Nah that's just how I like to engage in arguments.
You can of course treat it as a minigame as your head canon. But realistically, relogging isn't gameplay. Its borderline an exploit to get around the limitations (or perceived limitations) of the gameplay a game provides. It's very rarely, if ever, intended gameplay
I don't care if it's intended. If it's a legal means to achieve a goal I'm going after, I'm fine with doing that.
, and it's a bit sad that Frontier crossed that "intended gameplay" line more than a few times (guardian artifact CG anyone?).
Haha I remember that one! I actually enjoyed looking for the best guardian ruins and the best belly-up position of my Anaconda to allow the limpets to mass-collect the artifacts xD.
However, in my opinion the one CG where FDev really "crossed the line" was the data collection for federation leaders. That's the one time I really didn't enjoy the relog gameplay... cause I did it for like 8 hours over two days. I actually dropped Elite for a week or two afterwards.
But then I came back, bought a brand new Fleet Carrier for the ca$h I got from the CG and I'm glad I did it ever since ;)
I've seen it before countless times, both in players as well as in the frikkin' content creators who do those grind guides: Grind the heck out of the game to have the best start, to have the best gear to finally start playing, and then... realizing there is nothing left, because there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and blame the game or Frontier for it instead themselves. They grinded away the gameplay, and now there is nothing left, and they are burned out and disenfranchised.
Oh no, I started the game slow. In fact, when I started, I stayed in the Pilots' Federation District for like 6 hours, trying out every single thing I possibly could before leaving. I engaged in all possible walks of life before having any engineering done. And once my curiosity was satisfied, I started giving myself new goals. Learning to core mine. Get the pre-engineered FSD and the guardian FSD booster. That's how I play - I look for challenges the game provides, pick one and treat the way to completing the challenge as its own game to beat.

Like, right now I want to create an experimental Aphelion snipe build (Headshot, Stability, Scope, Range). Do I need this gun? No, I have a G5 Intimidator and G5 Tormentor with which I can do anything I want, including Squadron Cargo Defense missions :rolleyes: . But I like sniping in games and I want a sniper gun for on-foot gameplay which NPCs won't be able to dodge at any distance. That's how my reverski rail krait works and I love doing solo squadron max threat takedown missions with it. So for this goal I'm researching ways to farm Settlement Defense Plans effectively cause I want to unlock Uma Laszlo for the headshot damage mod she gives. I have a goal in my mind, I'm enjoying the challenge of looking for an optimal path to achieving it and I will feel good if I beat that challenge, results of which I will edit into the OP if they're worth sharing.

And when I'm done with that, next in line is a settlement assault ship. Rockets are the obvious pick, but I'm going to test a bunch of different weapon combinations, like I kinda want to see if a barrage of 7 gimballed multicannons with rapid fire mod work well on NPCs. I mean, you can only dodge so much lead flying your way at a time, right? :cool:

And when I'm done with that... as you can see, I'm far from feeling "burned out and disenfranchised" ;)
Why grind for engineering suits and guns, which you almost only need to raid settlements, if you don't enjoy doing that?
See above - our motivations to play are simply different :)
I will continue to publically disapprove of relog gameplay as long as there are people out there following stupid "best start" grind guides and then complaining that they are burned out on the game because of it.
Stupid people are stupid :)
I will shut up once the people who promote relog gaming and grinding in general stop complaining about it ;).
I'm not promoting or complaining about relog gameplay - I just see it as a viable option.
I'm not promoting grinding - nobody does lol.
I'm not complaining about grinding only because I can get around it with with stuff like relogs. Odyssey gameplay, in its fundamentals, is stupidly shallow. You like raiding settlements for 50 hours? Great, good for you - I don't. If I were actually forced to play this ultimately very shallow clone of a proper FPS, I would've dumped it a long time ago in favor of any of the Assassin's Creed or Commandos games. The relog tricks, the ability to use them to get around the grind and the thing I get to unlock when I beat that challenge are what makes the game interesting to me.
And yes, that is "just my opinion, man".
Ditto.

Last edited:
P.S.: Not to toot my own horn (well, a little bit), but my style of gameplay (which I assure you, is very, very relaxed) yields me so many enginerring materials and engineer or tech broker unlocks that I've given away loads of tme for essentially free to other players who needed them. So I must be doing something right...
Yes, you're doing something right - spending a lot more time on the game than I can ;)
And I don't challenge that your gameplay is relaxed. The difference between us is that you enjoy it in large quantities in and of itself, whereas I don't... unless it's a means to an end.

Stupid people are stupid :)
Oh, no arguments from me on that.

Yes, you're doing something right - spending a lot more time on the game than I can ;)
And I don't challenge that your gameplay is relaxed. The difference between us is that you enjoy it in large quantities in and of itself, whereas I don't... unless it's a means to an end.

Thus my disclaimer up top; what I wrote in my first post was not aimed at you, because you seem to be content with it. My ramblings were aimed at the majority of grinders and reloggers that keep complaining but fail to just stop doing it.

So for this goal I'm researching ways to farm Settlement Defense Plans effectively cause I want to unlock Uma Laszlo for the headshot damage mod she gives. I have a goal in my mind, I'm enjoying the challenge of looking for an optimal path to achieving it and I will feel good if I beat that challenge, results of which I will edit into the OP if they're worth sharing.
For my alt I found my SDPs by looking at the procurement board, digital espionage to download SDPs. Just check the boards whenever you're in the concourse, you might even find two missions at the same board. Just pick them up while pursuing some other goal. The best is that you don't even have to care about the alarms or dying. As long as you get the download you're good, then abort or fail the mission for a small rep loss.

I found the Financial Projections the most tedious to pick up of all.

For my alt I found my SDPs by looking at the procurement board, digital espionage to download SDPs. Just check the boards whenever you're in the concourse, you might even find two missions at the same board. Just pick them up while pursuing some other goal. The best is that you don't even have to care about the alarms or dying. As long as you get the download you're good, then abort or fail the mission for a small rep loss.

I found the Financial Projections the most tedious to pick up of all.
Thanks for the tip. It's still the "messing with missions" type of advice that I like to avoid for personal reasons, so I will experiment some more with POI-generating missions first, then I will try your method :).

As for the Financial Projections, that's one problem I won't be having, as the only reason to get those is to unlock Oden Geiger, and the only reason to unlock him is to get Night Vision. Not only do I not need this mod cause I have both Dominator and Maverick with that mod from a vendor, but also, believe it or not, I hate that mod. The game looks beautiful without it and the flashlight is super climactic... which might be an indicator that I played too much Alien vs Predator as the Marine back in the day :sneaky: .

Top Bottom