What's the Brand New Feature for ED in 2024?

Fdev will add a brand-new feature to the core gameplay of ED. The tentative release date is end of 2024.

What could it be? Such as:
  1. Ship interiors
  2. Base building, mining resources
  3. Station management
  4. New planet types and biomes
  5. EVA outside a ship in space
  6. Deep NPC interaction with AI voices
  7. On foot VR mode
  8. Procedural cities on planets
  9. Guild system for player groups
  10. Hunt procedural alien wildlife
  11. Something else

Last edited:
I have a feeling it's some kind of base building, but I can't quite say why.
My money is on base building, too:
1. Creative management games are Fdev's forte these days, it'd make sense they use that experience for Elite, too.
2. Fleet carriers can be seen as proto-base building. Different modules to add different capabilities, player-to-player transactions for goods and engineering materials, crewing and upkeep—that's all quintessential base building mechanics.
3. There's lots of Odyssey loot that hints at being used for building and managing a settlement. Building schematics, vehicle schematics, defence plans etc.

Fdev will add a brand-new feature to the core gameplay of ED. The release date is end of 2024.

1. Ship interiors
  3. Station management
  7. On foot VR mode

11. None of the above

3. There's lots of Odyssey loot that hints at being used for building and managing a settlement. Building schematics, vehicle schematics, defence plans etc.

So we will get planetary bases because we have Building Schematics?
We also have Ship Schematics and Vehicle Schematics - which would imply ship and vehicle building
And not only that, but also Biological Weapon Data, Chemical Weapon Data, AX Combat Logs, Xeno-Defense Protocols - which would imply new weapons and AX on-foot combat.

Sure, all these may be placeholders for things to come, but my option 11 is as good as any other option vehiculated here :)

Underwater ports*. I think lore/history says the Dolphin, Orca and Beluga are capable of aquatic travel? Wouldn't be a huge effort to add this to the game, so says my naive brain. A water "wavy texture", some help from the awesome sound engineers and make the docking pads work like an airlock in that you'd have to wait a few seconds for the water to drain before you could disembark. Why? Why not I say! But they could offer unique goods for trade, maybe some different ship modules, rescue missions from drowning ports, something like that. And fish. Lots of fish. We could exo-bio scan the kelp!

*Just to throw out something completely different; it's probably base building, but this was the only "slightly doable" but not mentioned thing I could think of :p

CobraBillboardRaxxla.jpg

I am quite confident that it will be base building. There is a lot of info out there that kinda prooves this. Yet there is still the possibility for it to be something different, which would also be cool.

However... man, a modular base on a planet of my choosing with production facilites for engineering mats would be absolutely amazing...

Fdev will add a brand-new feature to the core gameplay of ED. The release date is end of 2024.

1. Ship interiors
  3. Station management
  7. On foot VR mode
What, no NPC crews? :)

1. Ship interiors
  2. Base building, mining resource​
  3. Station management​
  7. On foot VR mode
  1. Maybe
  2. Heck no, ?
  3. Absolutely censored no
  4. Yes please
  5. Unlikely
  6. No
  7. Almost certainly not
  8. Maybe when we get thick atmospheric landings
  9. Why, what for?
  10. Again thicker atmospheres probably needed
I have a feeling it's some kind of base building, but I can't quite say why.
Because you are a pessimist.

Cockpit cats!
Hopefully only after we get EVA. Or a way put a hole in our own canopies.

No idea. But I'm sure I'll find out when they tell us.
Optimist.

I am quite confident that it will be base building. There is a lot of info out there that kinda prooves this. Yet there is still the possibility for it to be something different, which would also be cool.

However... man, a modular base on a planet of my choosing with production facilites for engineering mats would be absolutely amazing...
OK base building then as long as it doesn’t involve us having to own or run the things after they are built.

But I still don’t see why people want a static base when we have perfectly good mobile ones.

🤤

Top Bottom