Powerplay 2.0 deep dive - Frontier Live 27th March

So you go from contested (at borders?) to fortified and then to 'stronghold' (with NPCs behaving in certain ways). I wonder what the other one is? Being Thargoid but Powerplay would suggest that.
As I understood, the four states are Contested (the one they will talk about sometime later), Exploited, Fortified and Stronghold. I have a feeling that Contested systems are where most of the direct player vs player confrontations will take place (CZ-s? Commerce raiding? Sabotage? Who knows what else?).

I would prefer (at least) more variety in loops which can support pp, instead meaningless sodium immersianium 😆

Yeah PP 2.0 should add a lot more variety with tasks, random stuff to encounter, scenarios. The additional state visuals in the Concourse is a nice touch, but it's still the same Concourses. I'd like to see a special section added to a Concourse when it's owned by a Power.

That was a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping for a deep dive, and all we got was a toe into a kiddie pool.

Information provided:
Station Concourses change appearance as a Power gains influence over a system: contested > exploited > fortified > stronghold
Galaxy Map will have an update
When a system reaches the "Stronghold" level, it'll get a Power-aligned Carrier, which can be interacted with.

I think the only thing we can take from the stream, besides the new POI and cosmetic changes, is that "control systems" will be removed, and systems will have to be contested individually. And that's at best a tentative conclusion.

Yeah, they didn't mention anything about changes of planetary bases. How about special themes for bases that are owned by a specific power.

The video showed a banner with 1 old artwork of Aisling. However, after nearly 9 years why is there merely 1 2D artwork of each Powerplay character? They should add 3D models of each power.

Those support ships look awfully like the original FC design we were shown before they were delayed and made bland.

I don't mind if they re-use old designs, because it looks good enough.

IMHO the most important statement in the whole stream:

Source: https://youtu.be/05_ct1TL_7Q?t=2966

I think many suspected already they were going to reuse the logic/mechanics developed for the war. That's good in my book. The only question now is if they manage to pull it off.
Sounded more like they were talking about how players organised into groups for the Thargoid war. I wonder how Powerplayers feel about the suggestion that they will be able to organise for Powerplay V2, since clearly that never happened for V1 ;)

As I understood, the four states are Contested (the one they will talk about sometime later), Exploited, Fortified and Stronghold. I have a feeling that Contested systems are where most of the direct player vs player confrontations will take place (CZ-s? Commerce raiding? Sabotage? Who knows what else?).
Whatever it is I just really hope it's more interactive than the current system. The visual representations shown are welcome and will make it feel much better integrated but its all going to come down to actual gameplay as to whether people will want to get involved and stay involved.

I really like what they've done with the Thargoids and related gameplay so I am feeling conservatively confident that PP 2.0 is going to be worth the wait. That said I still expect it to fall short of my personal expectations and desires as FDev seems to be really great at failing to be ambitious enough when it comes to Elite in my opinion.

Thats interesting, because it would suggest two are stable states (one being mega stable) and two are..er....unstable :D

This begs the question: how do you move between them (if at all)? Can a contested system become a stronghold? Do you have to build it up?

Plus, whats the difference between exploited and fortified? In V1 they kind of happen simultaneously. Does gov / power type have any bearing on what states you can get?

Well from they said they could also be more engaging and accessible. If they exist at all (we'll know when powerplay 2 releases)
Although I could have imagined it I thought they were hinting at BGS faction like activity. Thats as accessible as you can get, and would dovetail into station concourses giving PP themed missions while walking around a PP themed station drinking Aisling brand champagne cocktails.

Prior to thargoids content there was almost nothing what actually showed to player that something is going on in place where he jumped into. This seems now to change on bigger scale and what was shown looked to me interesting and I want to know more ... imo it is a quite good information strategy. Could be a working way how to make game interesting enough for new players to wanting join in and also simultaneously make game interesting enough for old players to regularly return to playing.

Yeah PP 2.0 should add a lot more variety with tasks, random stuff to encounter, scenarios. The additional state visuals in the Concourse is a nice touch, but it's still the same Concourses. I'd like to see a special section added to a Concourse when it's owned by a Power.

Yeah, they didn't mention anything about changes of planetary bases. How about special themes for bases that are owned by a specific power.

The video showed a banner with 1 old artwork of Aisling. However, after nearly 9 years why is there merely 1 2D artwork of each Powerplay character? They should add 3D models of each power.

I don't mind if they re-use old designs, because it looks good enough.
That was my only real gripe so far over what we saw- given how easily FD knock up engineers how hard would it be for a glorious 3D representation, even if its on TV?

Found it. They actually did a pretty good job!
ehkevy0waaifhsq-jpg.187575

Top Bottom