Powerplay 2.0 deep dive - Frontier Live 27th March

Pure Speculation. Stronghold state systems could be OPEN ONLY.
If that was the case it would incentivise the community to either expand Stronghold systems, or work against them and prevent their spread. Similar to how you can fight back against the Thargoids, but with the added bonus that in Powerplays case you can also strengthen the power.

I doubt they'll make it open-only. Best way to stimulate open play is by giving extra rewards in open.

There's already a few dockable megaships around the bubble that have all the station facilities available - including frontline, meaning you can take a shuttle from the megaship to a warzone and back. I always thought this was pretty cool and could be used more effectively, for example having those megaships appear in systems that don't have large stations (hence no frontline) when a war breaks out.
But those megaships have the same existing design, along with the same drawback: only one large pad.
Seems like fdev have realized this and come up a better option.

It worried me how often they trotted out the line about the vending machines... surely if there were more examples of things that had changed they would have said them but it was like.."you want more vending machine differences.. and .. and flags... and vending machines?!!" little concerned but let's hope there's more.

I would like it if the NPCs dressed in the costumes befitting the empire or pirate scumlord type areas or something. I also really thought this was a rework, so far it looks like a reskin.

Did anyone else notice that Granny Torval seems to have relocated?
Screenshot 2024-03-28 091529.png

Well, "vending machines" could include things like new PP-flavoured missions in terminals, and from mission dispenser NPCs (both pro- and anti (EDIT: The latter might act a bit more circumspectly in a stronghold system... :p)), power-exclusive items for purchase, and reception from refusal-of-service, to insults, to creepy admiration, depending on whether the vendor likes the cut of your jib... :p

Last edited:
The PP presentation wasn’t bad considering, the fleet looked intriguing as did the changing decor on the station.

More detail about the attitude changes would have been nice especially how they related to those not doing PP deliberately.

I was delighted to catch a glimpse of the Python 2 banner during one of the mood walks.

I had hoped for (a minimum):
1. Open only effects or at least reduced effects for actions outside of open.
2. A variety of actions/missions that have an effect, other than deliver from A to B. (System state dependent)

What it appears to be is, the same basic gameplay, with a lick of paint.

I really hope Frontier do far more than they are eluding to. I think it's great opportunity to take the game forward.

*The stronghold stuff, looks interesting and keeps me hopeful.

07 CMDRs

I had hoped for (a minimum):
2. A variety of actions/missions that have an effect, other than deliver from A to B. (System state dependent)

What it appears to be is, the same basic gameplay, with a lick of paint.

I really hope Frontier do far more than they are eluding to. I think it's great opportunity to take the game forward.

*The stronghold stuff, looks interesting and keeps me hopeful.

07 CMDRs
Well as they mentioned little or nothing about the mechanics actions etc I would say you are being a little premature.

I have to say the number of mentions of Open Only are reducing my enthusiasm for this thread and if realised in the game for PP.

Sounded more like they were talking about how players organised into groups for the Thargoid war. I wonder how Powerplayers feel about the suggestion that they will be able to organise for Powerplay V2, since clearly that never happened for V1 ;)
No, I meant the sentence after. Didn't get the YouTube timestamp perfectly spot-on. So the part about taking the current Thargoid war backend features and using them in the PP refresh (e.g. systems changing states after tick based on proximity to other systems, different actions to progress a system within a cycle based on its state etc.).

They have so many easy win things they could mention in relation to powerplay like a single press fill-my-ship-with-merits button or permanent module unlocks, but instead we got a deep dive into station interiors.

It feels a lot like the odyssey launch communication where all the feedback you can give is "oh this looks cool visually", but there's not enough info to give feedback so they can really go off and make some bizarre decisions for the gameplay stuff that will be a complete surprise to the average elite player because of the "how could anyone think this was a good idea" factor. This is the stuff a good dev would try to get feedback on as early as possible instead of trying to spring it on the community as a surprise.

That’s not how they roll. This is exactly what they did with Odyssey and look what a disaster that turned out to be. If they would give clear information ahead of time, the community could provide all that feedback, but they always keep everything secret. You’d hope they would have learned from Odyssey but so far it doesn’t seem that way.

With regard to point 1. I think this is probably the only way they could handle the situation without upsetting a decent segment of the player base. I would hope that people who choose to play the game exclusively in Solo would appreciate that they can't expect to take part in what is ultimately a PVP competition without taking any risk and still have as large an impact as someone who does. However, the calls to make PP Open only I think are simply wasting their breath, FDev made the choice to have layers to gameplay and they are stuck with it now.

Point 2. That's the crux of it. PP 2.0 needs actual gameplay that gives the player agency to effect the world and is seamlessly integrated rather than being some almost boardgame-like formulaic layer as it is now. Please note I am not a PP 1.0 expert but perhaps if I am getting things wrong with regard to PP 1.0 that should illustrate my point more because as someone who has never felt the desire to interact with it beyond earning some "cool stuff" that's how it feels. Thankfully what they showed yesterday suggests that they already understand this and that this is exactly what they are intending to fix with PP 2.0.

As for that third point, couldn't agree more. If they really put some thought into it, and push for excellence rather than good engough, I believe that PP 2.0 could breathe some long-lasting life into the game.

I would hope that people who choose to play the game exclusively in Solo would appreciate that they can't expect to take part in what is ultimately a PVP competition...
How is interacting with the game's background simulation anything other than PvE? The background simulation isn't a player, it's literally the environment.

Top Bottom