General Missions in the game

I remember 1 Elite. Do we really need a mission board? We have BGS, PP, Conflict Zones ...
Maybe just remove missions (tasks) from the game ? I've been thinking about this for a long time and maybe it's not such a bad idea.

P.S. I am under the impression of another game.

I need mission board too. Its essential for effective influence smuggling
Can you describe THIS in a little more detail.
What kind of contraband is it where its targets are posted on a notice board and the police can read it?
Is that right?

I imagine it's like this: I found out that in this system contraband is cheese. I managed to buy a head somewhere and brought it through the gate. Entered the station, approached the grim figure at the bar and over a conversation offered him the cheese for a lot of money ...

P.S. We know what is prohibited and what is not in a particular system. Why do we need missions to get it there?

Do we really need a mission board? We have BGS /---/
How manipulating the BGS without missions could be done efficiently? How can I effectively push up the influence of a local non-controlling faction that isn't even present in, never mind controlling, any other systems? In a system without RES-s? When KWS-ing at the nav beacon will get you at best a few thousand cr bounties per ship for that faction? Importing bounty vouchers won't work in this case and bounty hunting won't work for anarchy factions at all.

Mission boards are like classifieds section in a local newspaper, an important and natural part of local economy where people seek and offer goods/services between each other.

Yes. I need a mission board. If anyone doesn’t want to use it, there’s no obligation. Blaze your own trail.
Yeah, I know what you mean, and there's a reason I wrote that I was thinking about it. You see, giving up the mission board will make the game more real and the gameplay itself will be greatly transformed and I think it will make the game much more interesting. In fact, will not be a dull fulfillment of missions and a whole little story, where the player himself chooses what he wants.

How manipulating the BGS without missions could be done efficiently? How can I effectively push up the influence of a local non-controlling faction that isn't even present in, never mind controlling, any other systems? In a system without RES-s? When KWS-ing at the nav beacon will get you at best a few thousand cr bounties per ship for that faction? Importing bounty vouchers won't work in this case and bounty hunting won't work for anarchy factions at all.

Mission boards are like classifieds section in a local newspaper, an important and natural part of local economy where people seek and offer goods/services between each other.
Yeah we're in the opposite camp here, I've always believed and I still believe that you don't have to play BGS, you have to use it.
I mean, if I see hunger in the system, I bring them food. You don't have to have 10 people starving in the system to take food there. It's not realistic.

As for the bounty hunter. What it looks like without missions.
I take the criminals scanner and fly to anarchy, since that's where this crowd mostly hangs out, flying and intercepting ships I scan them and see who and how much and where the bounty is for. I can then fly there and get the bounty.

But I may not do it on purpose, just mind my own business and scan as I go, and once I find a decent award I can slalom and turn it in there.

I still believe that you don't have to play BGS, you have to use it.
The two are often interlinked. For example, have mined a stockpile of Pt, but can't find a good system to sell it in? Push a system that imports Pt into boom state trading other goods, doing bounty hunting and other positive activities and create your own Pt market!
I take the criminals scanner and fly to anarchy, since that's where this crowd mostly hangs out, flying and intercepting ships I scan them and see who and how much and where the bounty is for. I can then fly there and get the bounty.
That's ineffective, especially since anarchy systems are a dying breed these days. Bounty hunting for affecting influence is not as effective as missions in the first place, but not having missions leaves bounty hunting as one of the few options. Another one is trading if the non-controlling faction has an outpost or Odyssey settlements to their name, which is not a given in small systems.

And of course, the elephant in the room: missions are fun. Especially ones that ask you to do some... questionable stuff. Planetary scans, data acquisitions, power failures, surface recovery, assassinations.

Yeah, I get it. But I recently got to know Kenshi and was amazed at how much the developers have properly moved away from the dumb missions that were in games back in the last century.

After all, in Elite can be made as cool, where a person just plays and not go to work, kill 200 pirates, bring 1200 tons of gold, etc.

The missions do have a purpose, and can be a source of credits, influence, reputation and mats.

Wars are easy to get player input for as there are lots of pew pew (or even just pew if it is an assassination on the ground). Elections though, you have to do missions to support the party you want to win.

Take away missions and there is less to the game imo.

Steve

Last edited:
After all, in Elite can be made as cool, where a person just plays and not go to work
What should replace the missions, then? If I feel like "Hey, I feel like going and dueling an Elite level pirate lord's Corvette!" or "Taking some point-to-point passenger missions and seeing where I'll end up is the right jam tonight!" or "Doing some air-to-ground power disruptions sounds like fun!", how can these activities be properly, purposefully established without some sort of mission board?

I get it, it's just an interesting idea. And I think it would help avoid a lot of problems with missions in the open game ...

Again for example the Horizon material I never collected from missions, just looking for high level signal points.
And as for the data, they themselves are collected a bunch just by scanning ships and then you can change ...

With the Odyssey missions it's worse, but there are a lot of materials that you take just by ravaging settlements.

The Taranis destruction was a mission like that?

I had difficulty with passengers, but in the end, can all who do nothing can drive passengers ? In the movie Taxi, the main character got a cab driver's license ... and the transportation missions in Elite are kind of separate.

Just because missions aren’t fun, tend to be traps, feel like you are working with their do this go there murder those civilians is no reason to get rid of them from the game after all they are needed occasionally for rank ups or unlocks.

Passengers could well be another matter.

I get it, it's just an interesting idea. And I think it would help avoid a lot of problems with missions in the open game ...

Again for example the Horizon material I never collected from missions, just looking for high level signal points.
And as for the data, they themselves are collected a bunch just by scanning ships and then you can change ...

With the Odyssey missions it's worse, but there are a lot of materials that you take just by ravaging settlements.

The Taranis destruction was a mission like that?

I had difficulty with passengers, but in the end, can all who do nothing can drive passengers ? In the movie Taxi, the main character got a cab driver's license ... and the transportation missions in Elite are kind of separate.

Should things be removed from the game just because X player doesn't use them and sees no point in them is more the question here. It's interesting to you because you don't use them, it's not interesting to the players that do use them, you are just removing a game play loop they partake in. While I am not against changes, it seems strange to want to just remove stuff from the game with no replacement, I mean ok the mission boards suck for some people, why not use that as an impetus to, oh I don't know, improve the mission system maybe?

Top Bottom